BOOT release the MGF register way, anyone remember?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
John W
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGTF 80th Anniversar

BOOT release the MGF register way, anyone remember?

Post by John W » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:18 pm

While talking to Adrian at the Canvey Island car show, he mentioned an artical some time ago in an early Fast Forward mag, a way of using a long cycle brake cable?, can anyone remember, and perhaps have instructions? :)
MG 80th Anniversary TF 1420 of 1600, Colour Starlight Silver

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: BOOT release the MGF register way, anyone remember?

Post by Keith Williams » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:25 pm

Will try hunting down the magazine later.

Immediately after reading the article I went and bought a brake cable and then put it into a drawer at home and completely forgot about it. Will have to fit it some time myself. I think the cable has matured nicely by now :lol:

edited 20:41
Found magazine - FTF dated issue 4 Winter 2006 - ooppss cable well mature by now - 3 years old :D
Can scan and send by email unless Tim still has the electronic form. It was adrians's article.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:23 am

True and very worthwhile too, although I'm pleased to say, I never needed it.

But credit goes to Andy P for the idea and the fitment in the pub car park at an Essex Roadsters meet, I only done the words, pictures and article.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

John W

Post by John W » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:26 am

Thanks Keith,
I have sent you a PM with my email address, I am sure other members would be interested, perhaps you, Andy,Tim or Adrian could bring it to the forefront once more, sounds a good cheap and reliable option to the ones advertised.
regards
John W

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:55 am

Will do John. Will send out later today.

I am sure useful articles and hints like this will occur in FTF FastForward again so well worth taking out a membership to it. Details of how to subscibe can be found at http://www.mgfregister.org/node/38 or on the Register online shop :thumbsu: A new edition is out shortly in November :)

John W

Post by John W » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:03 am

Keith Williams wrote:Will do John. Will send out later today.

I am sure useful articles and hints like this will occur in FTF FastForward again so well worth taking out a membership to it. Details of how to subscibe can be found at http://www.mgfregister.org/node/38 or on the Register online shop :thumbsu: A new edition is out shortly in November :)
Hello Keith,
Just to say thanks, and let you know I have been a member since early 2007 and do have the 'Fast Forward Mag' sent to me each quarter, my first two mags were of the 'A5' size before it was changed to 'A4'.
Regards
John W

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:51 pm

John W wrote: Just to say thanks, and let you know I have been a member since early 2007 and do have the 'Fast Forward Mag' sent to me each quarter, my first two mags were of the 'A5' size before it was changed to 'A4'.
My comment was not a dig at you John but more of an un ashamed advert for the magazine in general :lol:

Fletch29
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Post by Fletch29 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:01 pm

I can thoroughly recommend cable boot release. I bought the outer and inner cable from Halfords bike department. They sell them in whatever lentgh you need (no, I can't remember what length I bought but it was JUST enough so over estimate!)
Incidently while I was in the bike department I bought an aerosol of cable lubrication fluid which I have used to lubricate the accelerator cable. I used it in Feb/March and it is still smooth, whereas other lubricant have only been effective for a few weeks.
Mike

John W

Post by John W » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:50 pm

Having again looked at the article, it seems such an easy solution, again thanks Keith would you mind posting the article for others?