KV6 in an MGF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
bgunn
MGF Register Region: South East

KV6 in an MGF

Post by bgunn » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:16 pm

Hello,

I've been searching around the various forums to try and get some more information about the infamous KV6 converted MGFs that have been done; as I'm tempted to do my car. My VVC lump is very low in compression on one pot - which in all likelyhood is due to a cracked ring land on said piston, so my thought is that if I have to take it apart, I might as well put something else in. I happen to really like the character of the KV6, thinking it's revvy, responsive nature will suit the F down to a tee.

I've searched this forum and saw a topic about a certain Chris Flanagan(?) doing a conversion, with a nice picture of the engine bay. Obviously, the points about raising the C of G of the car have been raised, and the theoretical harm this could do the car's handling. I say 'theoretical' because often these traits aren't borne out in real world road driving, where you can't push the car to ten tenths anyway, so the benefits of more torque really outweigh the disadvantages.

This is where my main query lies, does anyone know if I can contact Chris (or anyone else who has driven the car), or someone else who has fitted a KV6 to see whether it really does affect how the car drives, how it responds in tight cornering etc, and how it is to live with day to day. The process of the conversion itself doesn't really trouble me, as I consider myself to be an experienced mechanic, and have done engine conversions in other vehicles before. Wiring really doesn't worry me either, having installed EFI systems on carburetted engines also.

I believe the fuel tank bulkhead has to be cut and reshaped, mounts fabricated on the subframe amongst many other things, as well as an alternative fuel tank to be fabricated. Does anyone know a little more detail about the works involved, and does anyone have any detailed pictures? For example, how much relief needs to be created in the front bulkhead, out of interest?

Thanks in advance,

Brian.

bgunn

Re: KV6 in an MGF

Post by bgunn » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:17 pm

I presume that's a no then!

Anyone?

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:34 pm

I saw an article in a MGE mag about 3 years ago so you might be able to search their archive. The main mods needed I remember being mentioned were the tank and some chassis bits, which you have guessed anyway. There may have been some augmented cooling arrangements as well. It sounds like you will be able to do it.
Google may help, I can't do it from work!

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:56 pm

I haven't been able to find anything on google other than a few posts on mg-rover.org; I tried looking for the MGE mag, but have had no luck - do you know what particular issue it was in?

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 pm

I'm sure that there was a KV6 MGF or Tf at MGFest last year. It was dark blue in colour. Don't know who owned it though. I would have thought someone on the forum would know!
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

sparky135
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Post by sparky135 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:24 pm

nigelandjo wrote:I'm sure that there was a KV6 MGF or Tf at MGFest last year. It was dark blue in colour. Don't know who owned it though. I would have thought someone on the forum would know!
You're right, Nigel. It was one of the featured cars so some of the committee/organisers may be able to help identify the owner and maybe put Brian in touch.
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:39 pm

sparky135 wrote:You're right, Nigel. It was one of the featured cars so some of the committee/organisers may be able to help identify the owner and maybe put Brian in touch.
Strange you should say that as I bought a copy of last years souvenir programme off the stand at the NEC & yes you are right there was a MGTF V6 at Fest08. It was owned by Chris Flanagan. He also created a MGF V6 that was shown at MGF10. Not sure if he is registered on here but I am sure Tim will know how to get in touch with him.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:21 pm

That'd be brilliant if you could put me in contact...

Put it this way, I've pretty much committed myself to a KV6 now! I can't wait to get to work - the combination of the lovely MGF and the superb creamy KV6 is going to be pretty hard to beat..

Brian.

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Picture taken at last years Fest.

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks for that, I saw that in a previous post about the subject. It looks a nice tight fit! I can see the front bulkhead has been chopped - I'd be interested to know how much, and where - I'm guessing the biggest cutout is around the rear cam cover as it bulges out of the head slightly, and I'm guessing the front exhaust manifold also..

I'd love to speak to Chris to see what he cuts out!

Ralph
Model of Car: Rover 420 T16 turbo

Post by Ralph » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:54 pm

I spoke to Chris at the MGCC Silverstone event a couple of years ago about his TF V6 conversion. He told me that the MGF V6 conversion was a lot easier, due to the Hydragas suspension. Apparently, the relocation and modification of parts that was done by MGR in order to fit the coilover suspension to the TF caused him some headaches fitting the V6.

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks Ralph, I'd heard that too, thankfully I am running a hydragas suspended MGF :)

I've heard similar issues with a K20A2 (Honda Civic Type R) engine, where fitting it to the MGF was a lot easier than the TF.

I plan to photograph and document the conversion when I do it. Does anyone have Chris' email address in order that I can contact him?

Regards,

Brian.

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:04 pm

bgunn wrote:
I plan to photograph and document the conversion when I do it.
I was going to ask if you were going to document the conversion. I'll look forward to following the progress of this project. Good luck. :thumbsu:
John
www.scrr.org.uk

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:13 pm

Watch this space :)

It'll definitely happen quicker if I can get hold of Chris though! ;)

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:25 pm

Sadly, I can't help you there. :(
John
www.scrr.org.uk

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:08 pm

No worries :thumbsu:

Brian.

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Thanks go to Tim who gave me Chris' email address - hopefully he'll reply and not think I'm a nosey sod being too cheeky asking for some advice/pictures!

Regards,

Brian.

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:32 pm

I have spoken to Chris and he's very generously given me lots of advice and will send some photos of some of the key modifications necessary. It sounds like a fantastic end product, so watch this space!

Brian.

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Well, got absolutely soaked getting it out of the trailer this morning - and then the rain stopped (for a while) once I'd it off the hoist in the garage.

Crap pictures taken in the dark on my iPhone, excuse the grainyness:

It's a lovely little lump. It's so compact - it reminds me of the Rover V8, it's a little 'cube'. More powerful than a standard V8 too :)

I've got the subframe, the gearbox and lots of ancillaries sitting there, and I made a start by taking the a/c compressor off (not needed) and the oil cooler off the front of the sump (it'll foul the subframe, so needs to be moved) and draining the oil out of the engine. The first real job will be to get myself an engine hoist, so I can get the engine and gearbox positioned in the frame, before working out the exhaust plumbing and ten dozen other things..

sparky135

Post by sparky135 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm looking forward to following the progress of this one.

Nice work so far. :thumbsu:
John
www.scrr.org.uk