fan 1st speed

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

fan 1st speed

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:26 pm

HI ,I know i have seen it on here. so how do you fix the heater fan as it is not working on No 1 speed, all the rest are o k (mgtf 2004 yr)
Thank John
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: fan 1st speed

Post by Chris Tideswell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:57 pm

The fan speeds are controlled via a resistor pack and one the resistors has burnt out, if you handy with a soldering iron then they can be changed for ceramic ones or buy a new pack for around £30 from Xpart.

Helsbyman

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks Chris, now were do I get ceramic ones as i presume these are better and were is the pack on the car
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:47 pm

It has been a while since I replaced the resistor pack on my F (assume it is the same on the TF) but you need to remove the glove box and the pack is screwed in to the back of the heater assembly so it is not obviously on show so is a fiddle to get out.

The only thing that can make a fiddly job into a pain of a job is if you have air con which will be hiding the resistor pack and prevents easy access to it.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Helsbyman

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks for that, now were does one get a ceramic module from

Dave_T
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF160 Shot Silk

Post by Dave_T » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:14 pm

if your handy with a soldering iron all you need are 3 wire wound resistors.

I used 3 x 1 Ohm 10 Watt wirewound resistors from Maplin (Part Number: H1R & about £1 each).
Just make a note of how the existing 3 are soldered in. ;)

as already mentioned it's very easy to do unless you've got aircon.

other solutions are availabe, replacement resistor pack & someone (willyfixit?) on here does an electronic version to order i believe.

Dave.
Dave T.

05 MY Shot Silk. TF160 (& silly grin whilst driving it!)
MG Car Club Director and MGF Register Committee member

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:47 pm

Yup,

Can do an electronic version if you so wish. Definitely cheaper if you've got aircon as you do not need access to the resistor pack whatsoever. Job takes around an hour or so to fit the unit. Basic unit is £35-00 and the aircon £40-00 (includes recorded delivery UK). PM me if you're interested.

willyphixitt

Helsbyman

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:50 pm

Thank you all for your info. I don't have a iron or air con so first I will see if any one i know has a soldering iron and if not well plan B of course :thumbs:
P S anybody near to l,pool,chester or wirral with one (soldering iron) :oops:

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:35 pm

On a linked question, can someone please confirm where I will find the resistor pack on a 2000 MY F? I've read that it's behind the glove box (like on a ZS) but the F workshop manual talks about removing the accelerator pedal to get to the resistor pack. In this cold weather I don't want to be taking the wrong bit of car apart!

Thanks,
Nigel
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Chris Tideswell
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:43 am

nigelandjo wrote:On a linked question, can someone please confirm where I will find the resistor pack on a 2000 MY F? I've read that it's behind the glove box (like on a ZS) but the F workshop manual talks about removing the accelerator pedal to get to the resistor pack. In this cold weather I don't want to be taking the wrong bit of car apart!

Thanks,
Nigel
It is the glove box that you need to be removing.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks Chris. 2 resistors for under a £1 and an hours work and now have 4 speed fan!

Nigel
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319