MGTF Cooling System issues after HGF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
DJM
MGF Register Region: South East

MGTF Cooling System issues after HGF

Post by DJM » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:58 pm

As some people will know, my TF has had HGF and has been in shop for some time.
Thought all was fixed, but garage having issues with the cooling system.
Chap who is doing the work is ex MG trained and has been doing the F/Tf for many years. He has vacumm fill and also does the usual cap off checks.

History

1) had major cam belt service and at same time had remedial work of new water pump, under-floor (SS) pipes and low coolant alarm.
2) at time service being done, garage screwed up and buggered piston, con rod etc etc forcing a head off and a new HG fitted.
3) Returned from gagrage with a water leak
4) Lots of cost later (and obviously different garage and DIY) we found the leak and fixed it. Current garage did a service and re-bled coolant to remove air.
5) Recently had HGF
6) TF into garage for MLS HG (finding in the process that the original gagrage had fittied an HG older than the TF), new cam belts (well do it while the heads off is minimal cost)
7) garage flushed car and on final check found a thermostat issue.
8) Thermostat replaced, problem not solved
9) Radiator checked by replacement with another borrowed for a few hours - problem did not go away
10) Thermostat removed and checked and found to be working
11) jiggle valves checked and free
12) coolant pipes flushed and air blown where possible
13) Water pump impellor checked by hand and appears ok
14) oil cooler bypassed and definitely a contributer to the problem.

Car will now run and idle happily enough with the fans kicking in and out as expected. But the final acid test of removing the expansion cap fails with coolant boiling up and over the top.

Pretty much run out of ideas of what to try next.

Coolant definitely being pumped around the system (though I suppose it could still be the pump if it's not generating sufficient pressure). Jiggle valves appear free, water entering and exiting rad. Thermostat checked. Some pipes changes. All pipes flushed and items air line cleared. Garage has more than 10 years experience of K series and has never seen this before. He has asked everybody in the trade he can think of and got no useful replies.

Anbody think of Anything else he can try?

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: MGTF Cooling System issues after HGF

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Two things spring to mind.

If I read you correctly But the final acid test of removing the expansion cap fails with coolant boiling up and over the top. is asking for trouble. I may be confused, but removing the header tank cap when fully up to temperature is folly - the coolant will boil throughout it's volume, inducing steam/air pockets. This is scientific fact :roll: It is not a good idea to ever remove the cap when hot, engine running or not.

Are you sure the thermostat is round the right way? It may appear odd, but the bulb is facing away from the incoming coolant. The smaller by-pass pipe comes into the thermostat housing at 90* directly onto the bulb and controls movement of the valve.

Also you say you by-passed the oil cooler. Is this a TF160 model? If it is, did you by-pass the intercooler bit itself, and did "it" get better or worse? What exactly is "it". The oil/water intercooler is made by KTM of Austrian bike fame and has very fine orifices for both fluids. Perhaps either/both fluid channels are obstructed?

Just a few thoughts, as I spent a few weeks this summer re-plumbing my TF135 with a TF160 oil cooler and sorted out a better preferential water flow for the heater amongst other things. I don't have the thermostat problem as such, as I've fitted a PRT under the washer bottle.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

cayote

Post by cayote » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:13 am

Hi board, my prob is that the radator fan is constantly running i dont think this ment to be!!should i disconnect it?? any ideas, thanks

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:54 am

cayote wrote:Hi board, my prob is that the radator fan is constantly running i dont think this ment to be!!should i disconnect it?? any ideas, thanks

If you have a bad connection at your temp sensor or the temp sensor is not working the default is for the fan to run all of the time.

cayote

Post by cayote » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi Thanks for that so where do i find sensore??

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:26 pm

Cayote,
On the elbow here:-
http://www.mgfcar.de/sensor/ECU_dcp_3953.JPG
If you know what a multimeter is; Dieter also gives the expected resistances to prove whether the brown sensor is US, if you don't know, don't ask, just replace the sensor for about £15 from xpart dealers. I need to be doing so shortly too.

plrobbo
MGF Register Region: Western Australia
Model of Car: 2004 MGTF 160 LE

Post by plrobbo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:04 am

Hi DJM - As 'mgtfnut' has said is all very correct. Interesting question is, as he's also asked, what year is your car and is it a 160?
If it's a 2003 onwards it should have a PRT (thermostat), and only 160's have oil coolers. I ititerate what 'mgtfnut' has said about taking the cap off while hot BUT it is also normal for the level of water to rise in the tank even when just warm - air is then induced into the system and you'll have to bleed it again - Never remkove the cap unless the engine is totally cold. Cheers Robbo.
Eat your heart out! My car is a MGTF 160 Coupe LE - Monogram Black Olive - one of 30 in the world.