Reverse Gear

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
AyB
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Reverse Gear

Post by AyB » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:27 pm

I seem to be having a slight problem engaging reverse gear. Reading the handbook it would appear that this gear has no synchromesh. Not a problem, I just pause a few seconds and then I can shift into gear most of the time. On certain occasions the gear lever feels like it is "in" but when lifting the clutch a horrible grinding/whirring sound is heard. :o

Is there a knack to engaging reverse or am I looking at something more sinister :(
I have been told that by dropping the clutch, moving the gear lever into third and then into reverse helps this problem, which I have tried with some success.

Maybe this is another quirky feature of MGF's. :)

Any comments would be appreciated.

apttony
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGTF

Re: Reverse Gear

Post by apttony » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi Ayb,
I have been told that by dropping the clutch, moving the gear lever into third and then into reverse helps this problem, which I have tried with some success
Yes, stick it into another gear, nudge the car a lttle, and then try reverse again. It's a common quirk.

As a side issue, have you checked the gearbox oil level at all?

Tony

AyB

Post by AyB » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:37 pm

apttony wrote:Hi Ayb,
I have been told that by dropping the clutch, moving the gear lever into third and then into reverse helps this problem, which I have tried with some success
Yes, stick it into another gear, nudge the car a lttle, and then try reverse again. It's a common quirk.

As a side issue, have you checked the gearbox oil level at all?

Tony
Thanks for your reply. Perhaps it's not as bad as I first thought.
The car had a full service before I picked it up but I must say that I have not really checked anything, apart from oil and water.

On another point............where can I obtain a workshop manual. The usual source, Haynes does not appear to produce one.

apttony
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by apttony » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:47 pm

On another point............where can I obtain a workshop manual. The usual source, Haynes does not appear to produce one.
You're right - Haynes don't do one.

What you can get, either in paper form or on CD, is the Rover Workshop Manual. Admin Edit: Please see Rule 2 above in reference to the CD versions or even a Rover Dealer (might be more expensive there!)
Last edited by James Curgenven on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarification of Copyright issues.

AyB

Post by AyB » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Cheers............I'm on to it. :thumbsu:

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:21 pm

AyB wrote: On another point............where can I obtain a workshop manual. The usual source, Haynes does not appear to produce one.
Check out the MGF Register online shop http://www.mgfregister.org/shop/29-mgf- ... anual.html for the manual. MGF TF manual is also available too. You can also pick up both at a show the MGF Register is at on the regalia stand to save the postage if you prefer.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

James Curgenven
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG ZT 260 SE #455

Post by James Curgenven » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:12 pm

The CD version is only available through (I believe) Rimmer Brothers, the copies you see on ebay are illegal copies which the register will not recommend you purchase.

Please see Rule 2 in the clearly visible Forum Rules above.
---
Loud & Proud!

AyB

Post by AyB » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:35 pm

James Curgenven wrote:The CD version is only available through (I believe) Rimmer Brothers, the copies you see on ebay are illegal copies which the register will not recommend you purchase.

I take it that the CD version on ebay infringes copyright of the original?

James Curgenven
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG ZT 260 SE #455

Post by James Curgenven » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:47 pm

AyB wrote:
James Curgenven wrote:The CD version is only available through (I believe) Rimmer Brothers, the copies you see on ebay are illegal copies which the register will not recommend you purchase.

I take it that the CD version on ebay infringes copyright of the original?
Correct. Unless you've bought it from an MGR Dealer Authorised to sell them on, it's copyright infringement and thus a big no-no.
---
Loud & Proud!

AyB

Post by AyB » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Not sure if there is a MG dealer in Suffolk/Norfolk. :|

AyB

Post by AyB » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:21 pm

AyB wrote:Not sure if there is a MG dealer in Suffolk/Norfolk. :|
Good news............just found one in Norwich. :D

Charless
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:53 pm

The best gear to select before reverse is 2nd or 4th not 3rd, for general peace and quiet. The clutch not being fully depressed (eg seat too far back, wrong shoes) or a gear cable out of adjustment can also make for a bit of a noise. But the PG1 is notorious for noisey reverse engagement, your skeletal avatar suggests you might remember double declutching - that can help, but not completely eradicate, the issue too!

AyB

Post by AyB » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Charles,I will certainly try your recommendations, and yes you are quite right, I do remember double clutching!! That takes me back to my Mini days (the original mini) and Triumph Herald fun. :D

I guess practice makes perfect. I love these cars, so much more fun than Japanese. :lol: