new brake pads

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
breakers
MGF Register Region: Midlands

new brake pads

Post by breakers » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:41 pm

hello all and happy boxing day.
Just taken the MG out and after an inspection of the car on returning home I noticed the brake pads at the front are just about shot. I have looked on ebay and found a vast selection with a corresponding number of prices. Can anyone advice on good pads to use and a parts supplier? I was also wondering if people would recommend replacing the discs too (they don't look to worn) and if there is any benefit to uprating the set/ The car is a r reg vvc
cheers in advance adam

Bacchus
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1997 MGF VVC

Re: new brake pads

Post by Bacchus » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:55 am

I have just replaced my pads, since I do quite a few track days during the year so I have gone for EBC Red Stuff pads on the front and Green Stuffs on the rear. Another pad I have heard good things about are Mintex 1177's. If you are changing pads I'd be sure to at least check the Disc thickness; NEW = 22.00 mm. Service limit = 20.00 mm. Thickness variation, maximum'" 0.015 mm. And runout using a dial test indicator; Run-out limit = 0.05 mm. As far as up rating the disks and calipers there is some good info here;

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/brakes/index.htm

Cheers
Craig
Secretary - MG Car Club of Tasmania Inc.
http://www.mgtas.org.au/

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:26 am

I have 4 pot calipers with the big discs which are EBC along with Red stuff pads front and Green rear. They seem to rub slightly at low speeds, just turn up the sound system!
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:44 pm

hi there if you are intereasted i have 304 mm discs and pads 18k mls only
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:45 pm

If your discs are within the tolerances and they are in good condition, I don't see any need to change them. Fitting new Mintex pads will be a good safe option, some find 1177's too hard for general road use and prefer 1144's. EBC green stuff, from personal experience don't bite enough, they may keep your wheels clean, but I would rather they stop the thing.

Beware of changing to the big discs and four pot calipers, they are great but you need to know that not all wheels have sufficient clearance. If you have standard vvc wheels on your car, they will not clear the larger disc/caliper set-up.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

breakers
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by breakers » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:10 pm

thanks for all the advice and offers, I've gone for mintex pads, for the style of driving I do they perform very happy.