Alarm triggered in wind and rain

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Phil MGFPM
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2001 mpi in JAJ

Alarm triggered in wind and rain

Post by Phil MGFPM » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:23 pm

My alarm on the 98 MGF has a habit of going off in gusts of wind; usually about 4 a.m. much to my annoyance. I have been forced to lock the car using the driver internal door button and closing via the passenger door (I'm not sure what state this leaves the alarm in - if on at all?) I have changed the driver door lock (separate fault) but this did not cure it either. Is this a microswitch problem on the doors, or is this genuinely the alarm setting. If someone can explain to me how the wind sets off the alarm very grateful (I'd love to be able to build a garage round the car - but alas I can't) and whether any cure?
Previously owned '98 F 1.8mpi bought 2008; then a '97 F Mk1 1.8 VVC in nightfire red, bought 2011; now a '01 F 1.8mpi in tahiti blue, bought Nov-19

Phil MGFPM
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2001 mpi in JAJ

Re: Alarm triggered in wind and rain

Post by Phil MGFPM » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 am

I have read the many comments, forums and advice on alarms misfunctioning and have done the self-test (it passed) and replaced both door lock mechanisms. My alarm going off in strong wind/rain suggests to me it is the movement of the soft top or rear window and the microwave volumetric sensor. Would anyone offer any other reason?

I have looked on the MGF diagrams and it shows the microwave box at the back of the passenger compartment.

Is it possible to disconnect the microwave box? If so, exactly where is it, how do I get to it and can I just unplug a connection? At least I can then rule it out if the problem recurs. (Diagnosis by elimination)
Thanks
Previously owned '98 F 1.8mpi bought 2008; then a '97 F Mk1 1.8 VVC in nightfire red, bought 2011; now a '01 F 1.8mpi in tahiti blue, bought Nov-19

James Curgenven
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG ZT 260 SE #455

Post by James Curgenven » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:36 am

The microwave box is under the T-Bar at the rear of the cabin.

I'm not sure how unplugging it affects the alarm though.
---
Loud & Proud!

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:44 am

Have the sensitvity of the sensor reduced.
Geoff F.