Noisy Tappets

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
mick.burgess
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mgf 1.8i

Noisy Tappets

Post by mick.burgess » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi i am new to hear can anyone help me out i have own my mgf 1.8i for just over a month and the hydraulic tappets are rather noisy is there any easy repair
Regards
Mick

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Noisy Tappets

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:20 pm

Hi Mick,

Your signature indicates that you've got a 1.8i - and unlike VVCs, these engines tend not to be inherently noisy. Does the noise subside when the engine's warm, or persist? What's the oil level (if low, the tappets tend to be noisier).

If one of the tappets is sticking, then a flush and oil change might just do the trick, otherwise you're looking at stripping down the cam ladder and either cleaning or replacing the hydraulic followers...

MG Marko
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by MG Marko » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:39 pm

I had a similar thing following a major service. The noise would go away after it really, really warmed up but then became somewhat constant in about a week of very sensible low mileage. It turned out to be an oil pressure sensor that had gone abit funny (technical term :lol:). The noise followed the revving of the engine and at speeds above 40/50mph you couldn't hear it. I don't know if this helps but it may be worth a try. I just had a second hand one fitted no problem and very cheap.

Regards, Mark

MGF Trophy 160 (in Mellow Yellow)

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:56 pm

I understand the K-series can suffer a bit from piston slap due to wear after a lot of miles.

Is it high mileage?

mick.burgess

Post by mick.burgess » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:42 pm

yes it is high mileage just over 105.000 and i have just done a full service with gtx oil
Regards
Mick

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Unless it has been brutalised, I wouldn't call 105k high mileage for an MPi - you would be getting emissions probs at the MOT if piston slap was the cause? Was the GTX 10/40? In which case the correct grade oil should sort it out quite cheaply - 10/40 semi synthetic eg Castrol Magnatec, Mobil Super S etc.

mick.burgess

Post by mick.burgess » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:42 pm

sorry my mistake it was castrol magnatec oil i used
Regards
Mick

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Magnatec semi synth 10W/40?

mick.burgess

Post by mick.burgess » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:35 pm

it says 10w40 and further down the can part syntheetic

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:37 pm

I have a similarly high mileage 1.8mpi (well not quite as high - 87K) and mine runs as sweet as a nut. I see from your original post that you've not had the car long - have you been able (given the weather) to take it out on a reasonably long run and get it up to full operating temperature? Normally the hydraulic tappets will remain properly adjusted with regular use but I did notice on one occasion when mine hadn't been used for a while that there was a bit of tappet noise on start-up, which disappeared very quickly afterwards. However if one is sticking you may need to intervene in order to free it up. Are you sure that your car is a 1.8mpi? The VVC engines are notorious for noisy tappets - if it's a VVC there'll be a second cam belt cover on the N/S of the head.

mick.burgess

Post by mick.burgess » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:50 pm

yes it is just the standard 1.8i i have taken it for a 20 mile round trip and it was still noisy