Standard size MGF wheels

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
generalkelly
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: 1.8i VVC + Rover 75

Standard size MGF wheels

Post by generalkelly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:42 pm

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2000 (W) MGF 1.8 vvc. It currently has 16" MG alloys with 215/40 tyres on it and I've been informed by an ex-rover mech that they are the alloys from a TF.
I would like to know what the wheel/tyre size is for the original MGF alloys, I think they're 15" but not sure what the tyre sizes were. I like the 16" wheels but I'm not keen on such low profile tyres as the risk of damage to wheels where I live (potholes) is fairly high. I need to know the original tyre sizes to see if I can switch to a bigger profile tyre without affecting the speedo reading etc.

Can anyone help with this info. please?

Grateful for any advice chucked my way! Regards,

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: Standard size MGF wheels

Post by Chris Tideswell » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Both the F and TF had 15" and 16" wheels fitted depending on model, age and ticked option box , as your car is a VVC it would have had 16" wheels fitted as standard.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 am

As Chris says, you would have had 16" wheels as standard. 15" wheels are and were available on F's and TF's, they have 50 series tyres, usually 185/50 front and 205/50 rear but 205/50 all round is not uncommon. This enables the rolling circumference to remain the same so the speedo reading is not upset.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Skwirek
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF

Post by Skwirek » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:12 am

Hello,

as the workshopmanual says the correct sizes of tyres are:
for the front axle:
185/55 R15 or 195/45 R16
and for the rear axle:
205/50 R15 or 215/40 R16

Best regards,
Martin

generalkelly
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: 1.8i VVC + Rover 75

Post by generalkelly » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:09 am

Skwirek wrote:Hello,

as the workshopmanual says the correct sizes of tyres are:
for the front axle:
185/55 R15 or 195/45 R16
and for the rear axle:
205/50 R15 or 215/40 R16

Best regards,
Martin
Thanks for the replies all, I noticed the handbook sizes as well Martin. From what I read though it seems that you have different tyre profile heights for the front and rear, is that right as I've not heard of that before, different tyre widths yes but not profile heights?

Thoroughly confused over all this lol :)

Skwirek
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF

Post by Skwirek » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:00 am

Hello,

the problem with tyre profile depends mainly on the height of whole wheel.
For example a tyre width is 185 (205)* and a tyre profile for example '55' ('50')*, and the tyre profile is a 55% (50%)* of width.
so the height of that profile for the front is: 185x55%=101,75mm
* and for the rear: 205x50%=102,5mm
overall the height of profiles are similar.
when we put the front profile 50 at the same width 185, the height of that profile is: 92,5mm and it is going to be really bad because then the differece beetwen front and rear tyre profile height is 10cm

Best regards,
Martin
Last edited by Skwirek on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:39 am

Just to clarify - earlier "MK1" MGF VVCs were fitted as standard with 5-spoke 15" wheels with the tyre sizes mentioned above.

The later "Mk2" or "MY2000" MGF VVC had 16" square-spoke alloys, which look superb in my opinion. Wheels fitted to the MGF as standard are summarised here (although I've yet to add the rather nice TF85LE wheels to this list): http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspen ... he_mgf.htm