Squeeking from the MGF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Ana
MGF Register Region: Essex

Squeeking from the MGF

Post by Ana » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:13 pm

The MGF has developed a squeeking which seems to be Speed related rather than RPM related.

I'm a little stuck on what to check next to identify the problem. so far I have done the following tests while driving:

Driving at 30mph....
Squeeking is apparent (squeek, squeek, squeek).
If I take the foot off the accelerator, the squeeking stops.
If I apply the brake or accelerator, the squeeking starts again.
If I dip the clutch and apply the accelerator it does not squeek.
driving at 30mph in 2nd has the same squeek frequency as driving at 30mph in 5th (i.e. not rpm related).

I initally though of wheel bearings, but then you would surely get the squeek at all times when the wheel is moving. I'm not thinking ceased or sticky piston on one of the calipers, but then why would the squuzing be controlled by the accelerator and not just the brake.

Can anyone suggest what to try/check next?

Thanks
Stuart (Ana's husband).

Ana

Re: Squeeking from the MGF

Post by Ana » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 am

I've ordered new discs and pads all round. As they look a bit worn.

Any suggestions as to what the squeak noise may be?

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:12 am

It might help if you can tell us where the squeak is coming from... is it coming from the front, the rear or the engine compartment?

Is it speed dependant, constant or suspension related?

If it is something to do with the brakes, I doubt if changing the discs & pads will cure the problem as it's probably a caliper fault, although new discs & pads are a good idea if the old ones are worn.

Ana

Post by Ana » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:02 pm

It's hard to tell where it's coming from but driving it sounds like the rear drivers side.

I've already mentioned that yes, it is speed dependant and not RPM dependant. Also it's not suspesion related at bumps in the road or pushing the corners while stationary does not produce the sound.

I've read somewhere that the pads have wear indicators that could give a squeel sound. Hence the reason I just ordered new discs and pads all round. I'll test the pistons in the calipers to make sure they are not ceased. If there is a problem then I'll get holds of a rebuild kit and pop the piston, replace the rubbers etc.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Wheel bearing starting to give up the ghost?
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:27 pm

As above , it does sound like the very disingenuous NSR wheel bearing which whispers at 30 mph (but not much each side) for a few months, has no discernible play in the bearing when jacked, then is suddenly completely stuffed, so you need a new flange as well. Oh bu**er! The NSR is typically the first wheel bearing to give up.

Ana

Post by Ana » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:11 am

Thanks Guys,
I'll get one ordered. Am I right in thinking that the bearing kits are universal in terms of front and rear. i.e. one bearing kit will fit any of the corners. Or are there differences between front and rear?

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:41 pm

Ana wrote:Thanks Guys,
I'll get one ordered. Am I right in thinking that the bearing kits are universal in terms of front and rear. i.e. one bearing kit will fit any of the corners. Or are there differences between front and rear?
Sorry can't help you there ~ I passed on the receipt to the new owner of the TF which had the rear wheel bearing replaced when we sold it, otherwise I would have looked up the part number for you.

Nigel
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org

Ana

Post by Ana » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:46 pm

I jacked the car up and set it on axle stands with chocked front wheels.

With handbrake off I started the car and put it in first gear. Passenger wheel spins nicely, drivers side stopped after a few turns.

Took the wheels off and removed the calipers and discs. Both seem to spin ok now, but I'm wondering if it's because there is less weight to turn.

I'm going to have to get a new bearing installed but don't think I can do this myself as I don't have press. Any guidelines to removing the whole hub so I can take it to a garage and get it taken out and the new one in (new one arrived today).

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:55 pm

My squeak from the rear drivers side was the welds parting from the suspension tower see Rob Bells site http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/ Chamber of horrors. That is the very worst it could be!
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Ana

Post by Ana » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks mate. I've checked that entire site but no mention of hub removal.

I've checked the entire rear suspension, the dampener bushes could do with a replacement but apart from that I think it's the wheel bearing. Think I'll have to take it to a garage as a whole car.

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Ana, I think I asked when you first joined us, where are you in Essex as we may be able to help with garage and servicing recommendations ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Ana

Post by Ana » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:13 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Ana, I think I asked when you first joined us, where are you in Essex as we may be able to help with garage and servicing recommendations ?
we are in Chadwell Heath, Romford.

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Know the area well. Used to live in Hornchurch.

Why I ask is, if you are having trouble with a garage, we have a good one here near to Southend where you will get good honest advice and servicing at a good rate for Club members. Steve Tyler at British Legends 01702 511123.

If you want to meet up with us one evening, our next Essex Roadsters meet is at the Dick Turpin, on the A127 next Thursday Feb 4th from 19.30.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

SPG
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF 160

Post by SPG » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:04 am

From your description it sounds like rear drivers side bearing. This is sometimes but not always caused by metal fatigue in the carrier which will also necessitate the flange being replaced. In 2004 MGR acknowledged they had a problem with the use of inferior steel in some batches sourced from Russia for use in rear end components, but I cant find the old link to the article to send you. As the wear gets worse your car will start to wander from side to side as well.

Recommend you also get the front bushes checked as well.

Ana

Post by Ana » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Update !

I removed the hub and something dropped out as I was taking it off.

After looking I found my problem.
I think this broken bit has caused the wheel to wobble a little and batter the wheel bearing. I had a new bearing ready but now I need one of these. Anyone know where I can get one sharpish ?. Also what's this bit called ?

Ana

Post by Ana » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:29 pm

No worries got one now, fitted discs on and test driven. All good no more squeeking.

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Glad you got the squeaking sorted. You can enjoy the car now :)
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org