Engine Management Fuse Blown

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
keefer
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Engine Management Fuse Blown

Post by keefer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:29 pm

Can anyone help!!

I went to start me MGF today and there was no response at all, no dimming of dashlights etc, anyway it turned out to be a blown 30Amp fuse inside the bonnet, Top one of the two EMS fuses. Fuse replaced and it started and drove ok, however I now have to fit a new fuse every time I come back to the car as it has always blown again, even though it all drives ok in between times. Hoping someone has seen this fault before!!

Regards.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Engine Management Fuse Blown

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:00 pm

Will be interested to hear what the solution to this is, but I would very much suspect a short somewhere in the loom - but where, I am not sure. I have heard that the lambda sensor cable can be one source of problems - and it is vulnerable with its proximity to the exhaust manifold and heat shields... so I'd recommend this as the first area to check.

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:06 am

MEMS keeps itself alive for upto 7 minutes after switch off, so it might be interesting to monitor the fuses over this time to see if it's blowing them at this point. A small possibility is that the multi function relay pack adjacent to the MEMS unit is faulty - at the point of changeover where it powers down there might be a short or something..

As Rob says, check the engine wiring loom for chafing and damage too..

keefer

Post by keefer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Hello again,

Sorry its been a while, but finally got to take a look inside engine bay. Could see nothing obvious, however, there is a small cable/loom (approx 2 cables) that is routed down the left hand side of the engine when viewed from behind the boot. On inspection, there was very minor evidence of a short at the 'bullet' connector halfway down on the casing of the starter motor. I had previously confirmed that the fuse was blowing when turning the key to start, even though it started ok. I havent confirmed exactly what this cable does, but presumably its live, and shorts when the key is turned only; because having re-insulated and re-routed this cable I have had no problems since!! Fingers crossed, hope it serves to be of benefit to someone should they encounter a similar problem. Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Keefer

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Good result!

Any pix of the offending wire? :thumbsu:

keefer

Post by keefer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:54 am

Will take a couple of pix and post next time i gain access to the offending item! Cant be seen just from boot access unfortunately.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Okay, thanks :) :thumbsu: