Disc Virgin

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Glenn Neilson
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: MGTF 85th

Disc Virgin

Post by Glenn Neilson » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi all.

I need a few pointers on replacing discs for my 160. I had an advisory at the last MOT (Nov 09) and intend to replace them at out next Tech Day in May. http://mg-freedom.proboards.com/index.c ... thread=978

I have never bought discs before and see there are different options, vented etc. Anyoune any suggestions what to get or what to avoid!

Glenn

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Re: Disc Virgin

Post by Neil Rushton » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:07 pm

The OEM discs are vented at the front & solid at the rear, all rears are same size on all engine sizes but 160s are larger at the front IIRC, unless you really fancy grooved or drilled ones I wouldn't bother with them as they sometimes can be noisy?

Theres quite a lot of choice on ebay, obviously you would need to replace the pads at the same time, trouble with ebay is the delivery charges are nearly as dear as the discs you would probably be better going to a local motor factor?
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Disc Virgin

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:15 pm

I've bought discs over eBay - can't comment on longevity yet, but they appear well made. I went for grooved items in the end. Overall, I would avoid cross-drilled discs due to the stress points this puts into the material. It has been known for such discs to fail in use. But otherwise, I don't think that there are any particular discs to avoid.

Just make sure you get the right sizes - 240mm is the standard diameter front and rear. AP discs are obviously larger (304mm) but you know that already. :)