A waste of time?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
JamesMGF
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

A waste of time?

Post by JamesMGF » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:30 pm

I've recently aquired a 1996 MGF.

The cigarette lighter is a little tatty, and the only thing on the vehicle that looks past it's prime. I was speaking with a friend today who told me that he fitted an automatic starter switch where his lighter was once located.

I'm talking about one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Push-Starter-for- ... 1c0cf254fa

Is it a wise choice to fit one? Or will it bugger up the car, calling up questions at the MOT?

I'm certainly not jumping to buy one, but do welcome any feedback as they look a little strange to me!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: A waste of time?

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:38 pm

A waste of time? Only you can really decide, but plenty of people have done this - and that eBay button looks pretty neat, although perhaps not *quite* as nice as the original Honda S2000 button, IMO. But for that price, really not bad. :)

A bit more on this here: http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DI ... troduction

JamesMGF
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Post by JamesMGF » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for the info Rob :)

My only two downpoints are that this is my first car (I am 22 and have only ever shared vehicles with my parents before), so is this something I'll be able to fit? Or does it require a lot of technical knowledge? I am a car newbie!

Secondly, will I have to declare it to the insurance company?

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:56 pm

James, nothing is a waste of time if you want to do it. I have lost count of the things I have done/fitted/broke on my cars over the decades. At the time, they were all worth the time/money/hassle.

Always ask yourself one thing...............Is it owrth it, if the answer is yes, for whatever resason then go for it.

It's quite complicated, but they usually come with fitting instructions, only you know your skill levels though.

They are chic I suppose (I had one in my F).

As a rule, always declare mods to your insurance company. This will not be considered a performance modification but it's a modification nonetheless and, if involved in any claim you would not want to leave yourself in the situation where you may have invalidated your insurance. Be aware that many insurance companies will charge for modifications, if your one does you may find it worthwhile to either wait until your insurance is due and look to another who do not charge or pay up, but I do recognise the need to declare it.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.