Clutch/gearchange problem

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Ally
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Clutch/gearchange problem

Post by Ally » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Basically - I can't get it in gear when it's cold! I can put it in gear with the engine turned off, but as soon as the engine goes on - not a hope in hell. Once it's in gear and moving, I can change gear - but only just, and had to turn it off twice at traffic lights to get it into first to pull off. It improved as I drove it, and was ok on the way home this afternoon - but there's obviously something very wrong. Anybody got any bright ideas?

bgunn
MGF Register Region: South East

Re: Clutch/gearchange problem

Post by bgunn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Try pumping the clutch pedal a few times and then see if you can engage a gear?

It sounds like you might have air in the hydraulics, which can happen when slave cylinder or master cylinder seals are leaking...

Ally

Post by Ally » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:05 pm

Tried that!

You're not the first to mention master/slave cylinders! Guess I'd better start saving my pocket money!

bgunn
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by bgunn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Does the clutch pedal feel any different? Another possible problem is the clutch damper which is adjacent to the master cylinder, these do fail..

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:31 pm

I would start with the slave cylinder. It's probably the rubber internal seal that's gone. That prevents you from being able to generate the full hydraulic pressure and results in reduced movement of the piston and actuating arm. Not the easiest of things to access but simple to fix.

Ally

Post by Ally » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:54 pm

bgunn wrote:Does the clutch pedal feel any different? Another possible problem is the clutch damper which is adjacent to the master cylinder, these do fail..
Clutch pedal doesn't feel any different - although a friend of mine drove it while ago and has said he thought at the time that it felt a bit odd. I guess I'm just used to it - odd or otherwise!

Ally

Post by Ally » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Reckless Rat wrote:I would start with the slave cylinder. It's probably the rubber internal seal that's gone. That prevents you from being able to generate the full hydraulic pressure and results in reduced movement of the piston and actuating arm. Not the easiest of things to access but simple to fix.
Goddammit - if only I wasn't so clueless about the internal workings I'd give it a go. I think I'm going to have to take it off the road and get the bus until I've got some spare cash!!

jonaf
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Post by jonaf » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:32 am

Have you checked the gear box' oil level? Too little oil in the 'box will make it stiff. Synthetic oil makes it really smooth, particlularly when cold.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:31 pm

This sounds more like a problem with clutch clearance. On a hydraulic system there's no cable to adjust and if the hydraulics aren't giving of their best the pressure doesn't move the clutch actuating arm enough to fully disengage the clutch, hence the problems with selecting a gear when the engine is running. I would guess also that the car is showing a tendency to creep in gear unless you hold it on the brake? If so, first port of call is the slave cylinder. It's also the cheapest thing to repair (on the clutch actuating sysem). You can either just replace the internal rubber seal (not the one on the outside that keeps the muck out) or replace the whole unit.

See here for how to do it:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=308426

Ally

Post by Ally » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:55 pm

Reckless Rat wrote:This sounds more like a problem with clutch clearance. On a hydraulic system there's no cable to adjust and if the hydraulics aren't giving of their best the pressure doesn't move the clutch actuating arm enough to fully disengage the clutch, hence the problems with selecting a gear when the engine is running. I would guess also that the car is showing a tendency to creep in gear unless you hold it on the brake? If so, first port of call is the slave cylinder. It's also the cheapest thing to repair (on the clutch actuating sysem). You can either just replace the internal rubber seal (not the one on the outside that keeps the muck out) or replace the whole unit.

See here for how to do it:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=308426
Thats really helpful - thank you. I'm going to investigate tomorrow!

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Is this not the old favourite of the clutch actuating shaft seizing with it easing off as the alloy casing expands with a little heat??
Geoff F.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:32 pm

It's possible, but the symptoms sound more like a dragging clutch due to a worn slave cylinder seal. (IMHO)

If it was the actuating shaft that had gone tight then the pedal feel would be different and often a tight shaft (excuse the double entendre :oops: ) manifests itself as clutch slip due to the shaft not returning properly to its idle position. Lets hope it's the slave cylinder, because a seized shaft is harder to sort. That's a gearbox off job.

Ally

Post by Ally » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:59 am

I'm feeling more of a weak and feeble woman as this thread progresses! I'm going to start with the cheapest possible option and bleed and refill the system this afternoon, then start really panicking. My mechanical competence, whilst fairly impressive for a girl, is limited to stuff I have done before, so I'm worried enough about a DIY bleed!!

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:42 am

Just remember you need the help of an assistant to bleed - someone to pump the pedal while you open/close the bleed screw on the slave cylinder.

It's not rocket science but if don't do it properly you'll never get the air out. Press gently down on the clutch pedal and open the bleed screw. When the pedal is at the bottom, close the bleed screw and release pedal. Repeat, making sure that there's enough fluid in the master cylinder or you'll have to start all over again. Do it until no more air comes out, then lock off. Check that the clutch operation is working correctly before putting everything back together.

Good luck.

:thumbsu:

Ally

Post by Ally » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:16 pm

Complete waste of time. Some numpty has lost one of the inspection panel bolts, and replaced it with one that is too small for my smallest spanner, and is so soft that I've squashed it trying to get it off. Can't do a damn thing now so am resorting to coffee and angry tears..

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:25 pm

With a tear in your eye and a helpless look on your face, ask a kind neighbour if they've got some molegrips. That may help to shift it. Failing that you might have to drill it out.

Faint heart, dear Lady...

:thumbsu: