MGF key fob problems

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
chriswollen
MGF Register Region: South East

MGF key fob problems

Post by chriswollen » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:20 pm

my key fob is not working correctly
1: it will only work out of the casing
2:when it does work I often have to use the lock button then the unlock to get it to work if I just use the unlock it wont work
3: have done all the normal things replace battery /reset but fault persists

remote is a 3TXA

thanks

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: MGF key fob problems

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:36 pm

If it's a problem with the PCB, then you'll need more electronics skills than my GCE "O" level can muster to resolve. One problem that I have encountered before writing the fob off would be to ensure that the battery contacts are clean. Use contact cleaner from Maplins etc as it may just make all the difference.

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:12 pm

If you're not too far from Wembley or Kingsbury in NW London, I can code you in some new fobs for a sensible sum..

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Have you tried rerouting/straightening the yellow aerial wire (around the front LHS of the centre console) to allow it to pick up the fob signal better? If all else fails press the fob onto the skin under your chin when you press the button - it doubles the signal range! No honestly! You will be amazed.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Charless wrote:Have you tried rerouting/straightening the yellow aerial wire (around the front LHS of the centre console) to allow it to pick up the fob signal better? If all else fails press the fob onto the skin under your chin when you press the button - it doubles the signal range! No honestly! You will be amazed.
:lol: I do this all the time - it's second nature now!

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:26 pm

I have just replaced the body and rubber buttons for £3:20.
Geoff F.