Ignition Fault....Perhaps

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
tauntonvilla
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGF

Ignition Fault....Perhaps

Post by tauntonvilla » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Afternoon All. Hope you don't mind me asking for your help.

I'm hoping you may be able to offer me some advise on an intermittant fault i have with my 2000 (W) MGF.

Coming home from Coventry the other day, lane 3 of the M5, at approx 80mph,all ignition lights went out, and engine cut out. Just as if the ignition had been switched off and key removed. 1st time it happend i managed to make the hard shoulder. 2 time i simply turned the key, off then on again, and bump started. At motorway speeds, this was an experiance i tell you !!

I'm convinced it's an ignition fault. I've checked battery leads, any obvious earth leads. I've had the ignition cowling off, nothing visibly wrong.

Any ideas

Many thanks
Don
Last edited by tauntonvilla on Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Ignition Fault....Perhaps

Post by colintf » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:55 pm

No idea Don, but hope its sorted soon!

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:25 am

I have heard of a similar problem some time back when a person who liked to sit too close to the wheel, or simply a very long person was so cramped up in their seat that their right thigh/knee inadvertently turned the key off! This was also on a motorway run - quite amusing once they realised the cause! Do you perhaps sit close to the wheel or have other heavy items dangling off your keyring? Just a thought.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 am

Let's hope something really simple! I wonder about potential electrical shorts (main loom chaffing against dashboard centre support) or a fault with the fusebox...?

tauntonvilla

Post by tauntonvilla » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:51 pm

I'll pay special attention to the key suggestion. I'm rather tall, however assume that i would have encountered this problem long before, as i've been driving this MG for over 9 years.

Ref the loom problem. Would it be possible that the bonnet light could be a possible cause. I removed it before having the bonnet painted around Christmas. The lamp is still to be refitted into it's slot, because i cant get it to illuminate when the bonnet is open. The wires are secure and isolated with tape, so i think it's unlikely.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:16 pm

If all is taped up, then I'd suspect not.

Is all the electrical equipment working as it should?

tauntonvilla

Post by tauntonvilla » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Rob Bell wrote:If all is taped up, then I'd suspect not.

Is all the electrical equipment working as it should?
Everything else is working as normal.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm

9 years without previous key issue is pretty conclusive re driving position!
If you lost all of the 12v by shorting to the chassis anywhere, there would have to be a fuse blown through the path to ground because of the enormous current needed to short all the electrics, hence my suggestion of a key issue.
There are faint possibilities from loss of continuity in either the -ve or +ve feed of the alternator or the battery - hugely unlikely to be both at the same time - which would be the only non ignition way to cause the symptoms you report.
As Rob says, if the bonnet light did it, there would be a fuse gone very swiftly before normal ignition resumed. Stumped, sorry.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Possibly a fault within the ignition barrel as symptoms seem to be centered around there. As the car immediately re-starts I cannot really see anything else that springs to mind.

I know of a friend who's car cut out at speed (non MG but the fact is the same) he switched off the ignition to re-start but needed to steer the car to safety before he chanced it. He ended up hitting another car because he lost his power steering without realising it would happen.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Sorry to hear about your fault BUT after 9+ years it could still be you are touching it and NOW the barrel IS worn
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D