Tyre Choice

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
bgunn
MGF Register Region: South East

Tyre Choice

Post by bgunn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:50 pm

I've done some searches on the forum, and it seems that the Toyo Proxes T1R is the current cream of the crop in terms of handling, grip and longevity for the MGF.

Really just a quick question to ask if this is still the case? Has anyone found anything better since Rob wrote the article on his website? I know Bridgestone S-02s are the ultimate, but very hard to get hold of; so T1Rs are really a second best?

I have a set of Technomagnesio wheels from a Trophy 160 that I plan to get refurbished by Lepsons in Kent (pricey, but good reputation) so the sizes will be 195/45 and 215/40 in 16"

I spoke to Al Phillips a little while back and he said that the only tyres they were aware of when developing the TF were the GSD2 and the Yokohama A539 - which is NLA. He advised stick to the GSD2 to be safe, but presumably hasn't tested the Toyo T1R.

The only issue I have with the Toyo tyre is that in general, I've found them to have quite a soft sidewall - I used their predecessor (the T1S) on another car in the past and they're quite squishy - good ride, but a little bit squirmy.

What say you?

Brian.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: Tyre Choice

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Brian, I've had T1-R's on 15", 16" and 17" F & TF, I've nothing bad to say about them, but, as always people have their own views and favourites.

They are good for me for the following reasons :

Cost..around £60 per tyre (you quote the correct sizes by the way).
Longevity..around 28,000 miles of all aspects of road driving.
Noise..they are not noisy.
Grip..very good wet or dry, like all tyres, warm them up before pushing them hard.
Reliabilty..nothing bad to say, never had a problem.
Speed..Up to the maximum the car will do on autobahns on a few occasions, regularly over 100 mph on autobahns, never a concern.
Track..Hockenheimring circuit, pushed them and the car to the limit in 2007, never a concern, they went on to complete our tour and many months after, I've not done a lot of track miles to comment further.
Even wear..more to do with the set-up of the car rather than the tyres.
Directional..yes, you will need to make sure you have the tyres "pointing" in the right direction to dispel water.
Overheating..never a sign or concern even at very high speeds and alpine passes.
Availability..yes fairly easy to get, therefore shop around for good prices (try Black Circles but don't forget to add approx £10 per wheel for fitting/balancing etc). My local independant tyre supplier/fitter says he will match any internet price, so maybe try that in your area.

Concensus.. I was told they were far better than T1S's, their predessor which I have never tried.

Comparison..I have only ever driven Avon ZZ3's (which were on my F when I got it) too far back to make a judgement. Goodyear Eagles (the GSD2 you refer to) on a Trophy, lovely tyres, nothing bad to say about them.

Other favourites include Marangoni's and Kumho's. I see few others.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Excellent reply - really informative, thanks for that.

Price I was quoted was 60 for the fronts, 63 for rears - fitted; so I'm happy with that.

I have Avon ZV5s on the rear on 15" wheels, and they're good - much better than the conti's on the front, which are, to be blunt, ****e!

Brian.

James Curgenven
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG ZT 260 SE #455

Post by James Curgenven » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:36 pm

I had Conti's on my 15" wheels and to be honest I felt unsafe on them at times.

I had Avon ZV5s when I first bought the 16" wheels and they weren't bad (wasn't going to change them as they had a fair bit of tread on them and came with the wheels :lol:)

After a track day I knackered two of the tyres (stopped too quickly without ABS and didn't bother using cadence braking so ended up with square tyres :oops: ) and fitted Toyo's.

I never looked back after that, they felt good, were quiet, held well in the wet and were fairly cheap.

If I hadn't had to replace 2 at a time on the ZT I'd have fitted Toyos to him as well.

Infact as I can rotate tyres now (It is nice having the same size on each corner :lol:) I shall probably get some big ass 235/40/18 Toyos fitted when it comes time to change them on the ZT again :thumbsu:
---
Loud & Proud!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:48 pm

I've got a set of Toyo T1Rs when my Bridgestone's gave up the last of their tread to the asphalt - purchased cheaply off the members classified section. Not really leant on them heavily on track, but on the road, they seem absolutely fine :)

Got good, stiff side walls - one of the key facets needed of a tyre that Al Phillips recommends for MGF/TF motoring :thumbsu:

The other tyre I was considering was a Michelin Cup - but these are in a different league in terms of cost, and they are semi-track tyres....

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Decision made then :)

Sensible price, and freely available - I've always been pretty happy with Toyo tyres in the past..

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 am

I have to agree with all the above, BUT have changed to a Toyo RIR. This is more of a track/road special, very soft and quick wearing, GRIP did I mention GRIP, the proverbial S##t to a blanket. The tyres suit a warm climate though much more than T1R's and on a cold damp track you need to get heat into them, preasures as low as 25lb cold!.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 am

Sounds like they might be a bit of a handful on bumpy British roads with a bit of moisture thrown in for good measure!

Thanks for all of your answers though, definitely confirms in my mind that T1Rs are the way to go for the road..

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:36 am

Andrew Regens wrote:I have to agree with all the above, BUT have changed to a Toyo RIR. This is more of a track/road special, very soft and quick wearing, GRIP did I mention GRIP, the proverbial S##t to a blanket. The tyres suit a warm climate though much more than T1R's and on a cold damp track you need to get heat into them, preasures as low as 25lb cold!.
Not come across these before Andrew- how do they fit into the Toyo range? I am planning to fit Toyo R888s to the Shed when eventually it gets to a point where having tyres that hold air actually becomes important! ;) :lol: