Rear lights

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
dzt
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 Mk2

Rear lights

Post by dzt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi all,

Quick question, i have only had my MGF a week or so and i noticed something unusual.

Are the rear lights (not brakes lights) supposed to come on with the ignition turned on?
the headlight switch is turned off and the front side&headlights are off - just the rear lights on. :?

Seems like a short circuit somewhere to me, Although i may be completely wrong and its normal :oops:

Can someone enlighten me please. :)

Cheers,
Darren

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: Rear lights

Post by Keith Williams » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Sounds like something is wrong there as the rear lights should not come on like that with the ignition.

The rear lights should only work with the front side lights.

Might be worth checking the cable running to the rear of the car on the left hand side of the boot to ensure no cable is split there?
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Rear lights

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:23 am

I agree - this isn't normal. Do they come on and stay on?

If it were the brake lights, we'd be blaming the microswitch at the pedal, but since it is the tail lamps... A poor earth or a short as you say I think are the most likely explanations.