Loud ticking noise when I try to start the car

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
dzt
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 Mk2

Loud ticking noise when I try to start the car

Post by dzt » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:23 pm

Help needed again.!

Ive only had this car a week or so and I just seem to be going from one problem to another at the moment.

I have just adjusted the brake sensor as my brake lights kept staying on . All appeared to be ok until i tried to start the car .. I turned the ignition key as normal (all the dashbord lights working as normal) when i try to start the car a "loud ticking noise" can be heard from the engine area hard to describe the noise it's like a "quick fire clicking /ticking noise" and the engine doesnt turnover.
i think the timing of this fault with the brake sensor fix is pure coincidence. as i havent touched anything else but the sensors.

Anyone know what this could be?

Darren

stux99
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF/TF Steppy/MGGS/3

Re: Loud ticking noise when I try to start the car

Post by stux99 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:34 pm

Sounds like battery fault or bad earth connection.
I had similar fault last year, new battery cured it.
Hop-e this helps.

Stu

Canalsman
Model of Car: 2004 TF 160 LMG

Post by Canalsman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:40 pm

It's the starter solenoid failing to 'latch' due to flat battery or poor/dirty battery connections ...

dzt

Post by dzt » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks for the quick reply fellas,
I'll try a new battery see if this works - ive just noticed that during the "ticking noise" process the dashboard lights flicker too - so maybe it is more likely to be an electrical problem rather than mechanical.

out of curiosity what happens when the immobiliser is enabled ?
does this prevent engine turn over ? or simply allows turn over but prevents ignition.

Cheers, darren

Canalsman

Post by Canalsman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:20 am

I believe that the immobiliser cuts the fuel supply - but I'm sure I'll be corrected if necessary ...

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:49 am

No crank and 2 beeps.
Geoff F.

bgunn
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by bgunn » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:31 pm

The 'machine gun' noise is because your battery is flat, or you have a poor connection somewhere. The current drop is causing the solenoid to try to engage when you turn the key, and then disengage because there's insufficient current available to turn the starter and hold the solenoid in, so it drops out again. And then the current comes back :)

dzt

Post by dzt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:56 pm

Hello again.
New battery fitted and hey presto problem solved. :D
Ive had this car less than 2weeks and already had a few problems. Nothing major but a few small niggles that required fixing.

1, Repaired the Fan blower (only worked in 3,4) replaced the resistors on the resistor pack
2. Analogue clock replaced as it was running slow.
3, Repaired the drivers door lock. The pin had come out of the internal door handle - (I was unable to get out of the car!)
4, Brake lights where staying on - adjusted the brakes sensor
5, Wheel bearing replaced.
6, Nearside sidelight bulb replaced
7, Battery replaced
8, Fixed a couple of leaks around the seals around the hood.

Still need to sort out the steering as it is pulling to the left and the wheels need balancing as the steering wheel wobbles at 50mph
The Rear view mirror vibrates like mad and finally the timing belt needs adjusting as it screaches (particulaly after a downfall of rain)

Ive also been looking to book her in for a service next week. Ive been quoted £400 ! for full service :o

So, Thanks to the kind people on here and their help and advice i'm making progress. hopefully the "F" will be fault free in a week or so

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:25 pm

I used to think that (the fault free bit).

AndyG
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: ZTT 400 - 2 x ZS180

Post by AndyG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:32 am

dzt wrote: Still need to sort out the steering as it is pulling to the left .........
Do you have Power Steering ??
F Trophy 160++ Now sold.
ZTT SE 400 SHM Block. "Super Brick"
ZS 180 Trophy Blue x 2
Triumph SpeedTriple 955i

dzt

Post by dzt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:47 am

(lol) Ok maybe not "fault free" - got a bit carried away there :)
maybe i should have said "i can put put up with rest of the faults" or "fault free' ish for now at least"
all part the fun i suppose .. i dont mind really. I quite enjoy "trying" to fix the faults. looks like i'm going to get a lot of practice anyway..
It does have power steering yes - I thought maybe the tracking was out causing the car to pull to to pull left.

Do you think it's something else ?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:33 am

dzt wrote:
(lol) Ok maybe not "fault free" - got a bit carried away there :)
maybe i should have said "i can put put up with rest of the faults" or "fault free' ish for now at least"
all part the fun i suppose .. i dont mind really. I quite enjoy "trying" to fix the faults. looks like i'm going to get a lot of practice anyway..
It's all part of the fun of owning an older car :D These are all pretty common faults on an older MGF, and none are particularly difficult to fix. Amazingly, some cars are being scrapped for little things like this! Argh! :x Happily there are more dedicated owners like yourself who are prepared to get their hands dirty and fix them! :thumbsu:
dzt wrote:
It does have power steering yes - I thought maybe the tracking was out causing the car to pull to to pull left.

Do you think it's something else ?
Yes, a good chance it is the EPAS sensor that'll need resetting. More on how to do this here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/common ... /index.htm It's a bit of a fiddle, but reasonably straightforward. :thumbsu:

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:50 am

dzt wrote: The Rear view mirror vibrates like mad and finally the timing belt needs adjusting as it screaches (particulaly after a downfall of rain)

Ive also been looking to book her in for a service next week. Ive been quoted £400 ! for full service :o

So, Thanks to the kind people on here and their help and advice i'm making progress. hopefully the "F" will be fault free in a week or so
The noise has the classic symptom of alternator belt slipping, not cambelt, probably linked to your battery problem :roll:

Also, what is a service? My cynical mind thinks oil change and filter and kick the tyres - I'd keep going with the DIY until you hit some obstacle ;)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Canalsman

Post by Canalsman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:44 pm

For the rear view mirror vibration, make sure it's fully seated on the slide bonded to the windscreen.

Failing that, do what I did which was to make a thin plastic wedge to go behind the mirror mount ...

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Canalsman wrote:For the rear view mirror vibration, make sure it's fully seated on the slide bonded to the windscreen.

Failing that, do what I did which was to make a thin plastic wedge to go behind the mirror mount ...
Or use a sliver of Blutac in the V notch location to damp out any vibration :thumbsu:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:22 pm

Nice tip :)