MY ZT 160 turbo HGF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
btx5mg
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC, ZT Turbo.

MY ZT 160 turbo HGF

Post by btx5mg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi all this is not about my F that is running fine just had a new Quad pipe exhuast and set of Rims fitted to this week at the MGF center looks great.

This is about my 56 reg ZT 160 turbo on Tusday in traffic on the way home The Head gasget let go this was due to the two 10 mm bolts on the top hose had worked lose thing is i check levels every week. cutted, the car only has 22000 mile on it. Well i brought all the parts i need new cam belt, water pump, themostat, head bolts, and gasket kit ghe parts are all here and the work will start on the 5 of march. But looking at the head gasget i am not to sure i have the right one 90% sure it ok. It is the mls one i have been told and is an upgrade for my car?. I have photo of it here. Can anyone tell me if it is ok for my 06 ZT 160 Turbo or should i just get a standerd one.. Just pray the is no damage to the motor itself. :rant: :rant:
Many thanks Pete
Attachments
Picture 928.jpg
Picture 928.jpg (132.13 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Pete

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: MY ZT 160 turbo HGF

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:12 am

You've got the LandRover MLS gasket set there. Good choice IMO. Also have you got the upgraded oil rail? Given that it is to be installed into a Turbo engine, I would certainly advise it, and even on non-turbo applications, it is strongly advised to fit. Cost a few extra quid of course, but not too much of a hardship to fit. Except on a ZT you have to remove the undertray to get to it of course! :)

btx5mg

Post by btx5mg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi Rob yes i have them as well. The car will go in this friday, as i said just hope the is no damage to the head block or pistions LINNERS ETC. Had a good look around the motor today the plastic manafold looks ok no sign of melting oil looks good with no sign of leaks. But bad time for it to go, as just paid out on F with new alloys, exhuast .etc. The worring thing is we have 3 the ZT, MGF, and the other half she has a Rover streetwise. :sf:
Pete

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Our ZT is the CDTi version. It's the fuel pumps in those that go - I had my elbows in nice cold diesel just the other weekend to replace/repair the in-tank pump! :lol: Oh, and the intercooler 'O' rings failed over the summer. And I suspect that the rad fan is no longer with us. And... well, the K-series has its problems with head gaskets, but the rest of the package is notably bomb-proof! :thumbsu:

btx5mg

Post by btx5mg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Cheers Rob i will let you how it works out fingers crossed
Pete