F or TF - which is more fun?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
PeteBrookes
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135 2003

F or TF - which is more fun?

Post by PeteBrookes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:41 am

I am probably stirring up a can of worms here, but I don't mean to cause any animosity. ;)

Having a 1999 F 1.8i and just bought a 2003 TF 135, I have been comparing the cars. I know there is an age difference and a number of 'refinements' have been applied to the TF, but I have to say, (heading for cover!), I actually enjoy driving the F more than the TF! :o

In my opinion, the F is more raw in the driving experience, heavier clutch and gearbox, no ABS, suspension nice and stiff, and you actually sit low in the car and feel like it was built for fun! It creaks and squeaks a lot more, but boy the engine and exhaust note sound good!

Now the TF is more refined, softer suspension, ABS, higher seat position, quieter and my wife likes it!

The only problem is, I can only afford to keep one of them! Which one is to be? The 'man's' car with the raw and real driving experience, or the 'ladies' car, more comfortable, more refined?

Theres only one way to find out - FIGHT!
2003 MG TF Sprint SE 135

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Re: F or TF - which is more fun?

Post by Andrew Regens » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:59 am

For me my VVC as the fun car but SWMBO can't wait until I get another TF to go touring in as long as I leave it standard!
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

btx5mg
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC, ZT Turbo.

Post by btx5mg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:24 am

As a MGF vvc driver i think the F handles very well in the DRY and is loads of fun so is the TF . The ride is a tad firm on the F and on the British silky smooth roads NOT, you do feel every bump and avoid pot holes or risk lose your fillings, the TF has a much smoother ride and on along run you get out of the car with you back bone not in bits ok the F's ride not that bad but TF is smoother.

My F beeing a vvc has ABS and is tuned to around 160 bhp + and last summer i drove a late TF 160 which i was thinking of selling my F to buy the TF, which pulled very well and a great all round package, and was a a real stunning looking car in met black with dark red top , but i went for tunning my F up to 160 BHP as it is such a good example and i know it ie head done new rad etc. and her indoors did not want be to shell out on a new car if the truth be known.

On looks the front of the F is more rounded softer looking then its TF younger brother i think, however with trophy head lamps and front spliter, the F looks more chunky. But have to say the TF is a very good looking car from side on, head on, or from the rear . And i am thinking of fitting a TF boot lid to my F, as I think the TF built in boot spoiler looks great but prefer the F rear bumper i have just fitted quad exhuast to my F and that has changed the whole look of the rear of the car along with after market rear lights not to everyone taste. But i still think the TF has the edge on looks JUST, but i will stay with my F.

Cheers Pete.
picture 944 (2).jpg
picture 944 (2).jpg (177.59 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Attachments
picture 940 (2).jpg
picture 940 (2).jpg (135.24 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Last edited by btx5mg on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Pete

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:41 am

There are a lot of reasons why the TF is a better car. Stiffer body shell, better suspension geometry - particularly at the rear. Quality slowly improved, and the later TFs benefit from a revised cooling system that makes HGF less likely.

Looks are purely subjective, but I remain amazed at how fresh the car looks, 8 years on from it's introduction.

The MGF has the very clever hydragas system - which offers a number of incredible advantages - but also some disadvantages where it comes to spare parts supply.

Personally I think that the F will enter the classic car hall of fame sooner - but both are worthy of that accolade.

Which would I keep? No idea. But I'll keep my own F thanks - and the reason why I've still got it after 14years of ownership is that it does everything I ever want of it, and what's come out since hasn't moved the game on so significantly (well, especially where I've retrofitted the best bits from later cars to my beloved F! :lol:)

So, a vote for the F then :thumbsu:
Then again, perhaps you should keep both! :twisted:

btx5mg
Model of Car: MGF VVC, ZT Turbo.

Post by btx5mg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:00 pm

On looks Rob

I think with the LE 500 and new TF they have in someway gone back to the F, nose and grill, and go along with you that the TF and new TF look good still, but why oh why has the press gave the car such a hard time i still think the car looks better the MX5 but i would say that. :lol:
Pete

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:23 pm

I agree completely. The SAIC/NAC TF has come with a very handsome new front bumper reminiscent of the MGF's. I also agree that the press has effectively ignored it.

Why?

Well, the company that designed it had gone bust. MG is dead in most journalists’ eyes. They're not interested in what the Chinese are up to. They don't care about British jobs or design talent - except their own of course. Mazda probably provide better perks than cash-strapped MG. Old MGs don't sell new-car magazines. Politics. Oh, the list probably goes on and on.

Until SAIC rejuvenates Longbridge and the MG brand, I suspect we'll see MG down in the doldrums for quite some time unfortunately.

Or is that me just being cynical? :roll:

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:42 pm

I've always thought the F looks Cute & Cuddly while the TF looks much more Purposeful

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

stux99
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF/TF Steppy/MGGS/3

Post by stux99 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:47 pm

Being in the fortunate position of owning both an F and a TF (Stepspeeds) for 6 months now I have to admit that I prefer the F :D
At first the TF seemed a "nicer" car, but that was probably because it was new to us. Bev eprfers the TF but I have to go with the F.
Thats my two penneth :D

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:53 pm

I've never driven an TF, but on looks alone, I prefer the F; I love the style. With the Trophy lights, and front splitter - it's pretty perfect in my opinion. It 'toughens' the car up a little, whilst retaining the elegance of the design.

The TF is a little 'snooty' nosed, and squared up on the hips for my liking, the rear bumper doesn't blend well with the organic shape of the rear lights and rear end - an affliction of the facelift ZR/ZS/ZT too IMO..

I'd still have one - I just prefer my F :)

PinkJay
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: 06 407SW - 03 TF 135

Post by PinkJay » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:59 pm

I have been in the lucky position of owning both.
My first F was calle 'cassie' and she had loads of mods inc. exhaust, de-cat, K&N, throttle body etc etc etc and avo adjustable shocks. She was a superb car and, although she rattled most of my fillings out every trip, held the road fabulously and drove really well.
Saying that, my new TF 'Glimmer' is in alot of ways a much better beast. Being the 135 model with the SpII kit - ie: bigger Ap brakes and alloys, she handles better than the F ever did and stops in half the distance - so you can rant it even more, also safe in the knowledge of the ABS on board.
As others have said, the TF has a stiffer body shell, proper suspension and decent brakes.
I used to hate the looks of the TF - very angular and much more mascualine than the beautifull curves of the F. But now i realsie the F looks a bit dated and do actually prefer the lines of the TF - the other half will now hit me violantly - lol.

I'd have the TF over the F any day of the week.
JAY'S BABY
JAY'S NEW BABY[/b][/u]
2003 135 TF- 'Glimmer'
ImageImagejaysheppard.co.uk

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:40 pm

No discussion: the F has to stay the TF has to go ;)

I would just go for the original idea, leaving the TF as a replacement and a refining idea far behind as it is a revised copy of the F.

Clear my MGFvvc is 14 years old, only used for fun, cherished and papered, But it is reliable (as far as a modern MG can get reliable, for reliability I'd choose the MGC ;) )it is fun to drive, it is a constant factor in driving fun. No it is not original, MG supplied the basic kit, we adapted it to our demands, better brakes, suspension and a bit of extra power. It will have stiffening, cooling and power tweaks in the future as the time is right.
The soft look of an F cries out loud for a KH splitter, the tool for increasing stability.

Yes I did do a lot of driving in a number of TF's, unfortunately I'd experienced most of the TF's being a bit slow and harsh. Most of the times I was happy to go back to my own F.

BUT: a well catered, tweaked TF could be a lot of FUN! It is up to YOU!
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be