Fitting Electric Mirrors In A TF115

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
michaelb
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: mg tf 135

Fitting Electric Mirrors In A TF115

Post by michaelb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:37 pm

i know this has been covered a million times but please bear with me!

attempted to fit electric mirrors to my 115 today but on fitting of the mirrors and switch they don't seem to be working.

am i missing something or are the mirrors or switch faulty units??

i was led to believe that they should be plug and play!

thanks

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Fitting Electric Mirrors In A TF115

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Just missing a fuse perhaps? I bet it'll be something simple. Either a fuse or a poor connection somewhere :)

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Just missing a fuse perhaps? I bet it'll be something simple. Either a fuse or a poor connection somewhere :)
fuse is present. the heated ones are working fine.

do they require a relay?

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:25 pm

should be straightforward, done the same mod on a '96 F without any problem.

I prepared all the wiring and did not use a kit. Where did you connect the 12V and ground connection? Ground should be in the car, not to the doors.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Kasper wrote:should be straightforward, done the same mod on a '96 F without any problem.

I prepared all the wiring and did not use a kit. Where did you connect the 12V and ground connection? Ground should be in the car, not to the doors.
all wiring is present in a tf 115 m8.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a TF wiring diagram. TF did undergo an extensive re-design of its wiring system which coincided with the introduction of the new alarm system (round alarm fob, not the rectangular Lucas item). No idea how this impacts upon the door mirrors - but I am not sure that it shares a fuse with the mirror heaters. On earlier cars, the mirror heaters are shared with the window lift motors!

From VIN VIN4D620548, it appears that all the mirror functions are guarded by fuse 22. Had a look at the fusebox on http://www.mgf-tf-central.co.uk/ but can't see which fuse guards the mirrors on earlier cars? :?

Tiger_70
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by Tiger_70 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:39 pm

I have a 2003 03 plate TF115 (rectangular key fob), just fitted a pair of mirrors, and the switch (all wiring was in place) and both worked without replacing fuses or any other work.

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Tiger_70 wrote:I have a 2003 03 plate TF115 (rectangular key fob), just fitted a pair of mirrors, and the switch (all wiring was in place) and both worked without replacing fuses or any other work.
suggests that the mirror or switch is defective then i guess.

thanks for the replies.

hilly
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Aug 96 MGF VVC Mk1

Post by hilly » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm about to embark on upgrading my manual mirrors to Electrically adjusting on my 96 Mk1 F..................................

I'm taking it as a given that there will be no wiring there, but I have the mirros, switch, dash cowling, and the 'Other Side' of plug with some wiring from the doner cars loom, so I can then nake the rest of the loom I'll require.

I'm intending setting it all up on the floor first to ensure all works before I put them on the car.

I've got the wiring diagrams as well, but is there anything in particular I should look for or bear in mind???

I thought the 'Ground to Car' was a good tip!

Am I correct in thinking there are no extra relay's to put in place???

Dave. :D
Why do I always get out of my 'F' with a smile on my face ! ;-)

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:59 am

Rob Bell wrote:Just missing a fuse perhaps? I bet it'll be something simple. Either a fuse or a poor connection somewhere :)
it was something simple after all!

silly me forgot to turn the switch from the middle before trying to adjust them :oops:

thanks for all the advice guys!

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:05 pm

hilly wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm about to embark on upgrading my manual mirrors to Electrically adjusting on my 96 Mk1 F..................................

I'm taking it as a given that there will be no wiring there, but I have the mirros, switch, dash cowling, and the 'Other Side' of plug with some wiring from the doner cars loom, so I can then nake the rest of the loom I'll require.

I'm intending setting it all up on the floor first to ensure all works before I put them on the car.

I've got the wiring diagrams as well, but is there anything in particular I should look for or bear in mind???

I thought the 'Ground to Car' was a good tip!

Am I correct in thinking there are no extra relay's to put in place???

Dave. :D
Did this on my '96 last year. Mk2 mirrors, switch, Mk2 cowl, and the "other side plug will do the job. You only need some wiring too.
Pretty straightforward, no relay's needed! check the directions of the mirror movement before finishing the job ;)
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:19 pm

michaelb wrote:
it was something simple after all!

silly me forgot to turn the switch from the middle before trying to adjust them :oops:

thanks for all the advice guys!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry, this happens to all of us! :D

Good that it's all sorted though :thumbsu:

hilly
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Aug 96 MGF VVC Mk1

Post by hilly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Cheers for your note Kasper,

I've got the bits, so I'll give it a go once I have a full day and good weather.

I'll do a dummy run with a short loom on the floor first so I know how it all works before I pull my car apart........

Oh, and I'll try to remember to turn the switch :lol:
Why do I always get out of my 'F' with a smile on my face ! ;-)