Door Locks

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
bigdave
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Door Locks

Post by bigdave » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am

I have a Y reg mgf. After being left out in the snow and ice have been having problems with the drivers door lock. When using the key fob the lock just pops up for about a second then drops down again. Using the key manually has no effect the lock knob doesnt move at all and the door handle seems to stick slightly up. The only way to get in is by using the keyfob while standing by the passenger door and grabbing the door handle during the short time the knob pops up. Dont know how I am going to access the drivers side machanism with the door shut. Being a bit on hte large it is quite funny wathing me trying to climb through whist the car is in the garage. Ideas anyone or isit going to be an expensive fix.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: Door Locks

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:11 am

A friend of mine had exactly this with his TF.

Remove the battery lead, use the key to open the door, and replace a faulty drivers door lock. It was all over in a very short time and has been fine since.
Whatever you do, don't double lock the door.

Yours could be similar?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

bigdave
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by bigdave » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:23 am

Thanks very much will give that a go later.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:46 pm

I've had this too. Ended up having to replace the door lock - a how-to is here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/do ... /index.htm

Good luck! :)