mgf exhaust heat shields

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: mgf exhaust heat shields

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Would the extra heat help the thermostat open sooner and contribute to a more even balance of coolant temperature?
I think this is a dubious plan :roll: If the exhaust can give enough radiant heat to the coolant via the top hose, then your hose won't last long!!

Better I think to protect the hose, make sure the thermostat is working ok, and just remember that the K series engine has a very small volume of coolant to heat up from cold before the thermostat opens.

Further then this is a whole different can of worms ;)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

bgunn
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by bgunn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:30 pm

No, because the thermostat is opened by the wax bulb that's in the water stream, not from radiated heat outside of the cooling system.

I wouldn't want to run an MGF/TF without at least the engine bay shields - I've seen alternators fry and take out the ENTIRE electrical system due to overheating :)

RichardK
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 1996 MGF VVC

Post by RichardK » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:44 pm

It's not a plan - just a ponderance. Heat would heat up the water in the pipe on t'other side of the thermostat.

I want shields on mine. I have the alternator side and I'm missing the coolant pipe side, which seems to be readily available used - but I need to know what else I might need other than the shield!
1996 MGF VVC (HAM) - rescued stray
2011 C3 Airdream+

135 cars since 1992 :/

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:59 pm

RichardK wrote:It's not a plan - just a ponderance. Heat would heat up the water in the pipe on t'other side of the thermostat.

I want shields on mine. I have the alternator side and I'm missing the coolant pipe side, which seems to be readily available used - but I need to know what else I might need other than the shield!
Think of it this way: the top hose you might want to heat up is the the hottest external part of the coolant system, and it wants to cool down, not heat up as it returns to the water pump. This hose will fry slowly if not protected from the manifold radiated heat.

The TF heat shield from a scrappy will be fine ;)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:37 am

mgtfnut wrote: The hoses are particularly prone to excessive radiant heat and can quickly harden and split - think I recall yours splitting on the A30/303 Rob? Mine did as well soon after I got the car minus heat shield.
You're right, it did. But if I recall correctly, this was when I still had the heat shields... but I do need to get around to re-fitting them!

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:06 pm

I'm sure any given heat shield will be fine - but I don't actually know where it attached, having never had one!

There's one on eBay, a new one, it's cheap, I just don't know if I need more parts. That's all I want to know - if there's the equivalent of the alternator shield bracket and I'm missing it. There aren't many scrappies around here, and few allow you to look at the car when you're taking it apart.
2011 C3 Airdream+

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:15 pm

I blame the EU and Health and Safety for the demise of the Great British Scrap Yard...

IIRC, the brackets should all be there on the block - I'll have a look at a car when I get home and let you know. :)

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:42 pm

This will help you, complete your car protection, off Shields/covers.

If you get all below, i promise you will not have, no engine (water) problems.
my opinion. ((i done ever think below so far very happy)).

I no it a lot, but will protect your engine and car parts,the best bit is your car will be rust free problems, hopefully.(don't forget to get rid off any current rust and spray/paint rust free...

quick a set
Left coolant pipe protector, and right alternator protector.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-Heat-shield-s ... 2561e43e0e

After getting the left and right heat shield, get this,
to protect the coil pack from water this helps.

(It for the tf but it fits the f also, take the temp brown censor off, put lid on
it fits below sensor but needs to be off before fitting.(pipe reason your see)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-MG-TF-MANIFOL ... 3a60e69212

You need this, as-well will help.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-25-45-75-ZR ... 19c3d60c5a

There one more heat shield to get, it protects the alternator,it gets connected via the
alternator wheel side, you can make one.
there a tutorial how to create a alternator cover here we go.
http://www.mgboard.de/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5119

Your have every thing then protected. just protect all the wires going to the ecu at the back, Vaseline them to stop water. your done.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:27 am

redarrow wrote:There one more heat shield to get, it protects the alternator,it gets connected via the
alternator wheel side, you can make one.
there a tutorial how to create a alternator cover here we go.
http://www.mgboard.de/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5119

Your have every thing then protected. just protect all the wires going to the ecu at the back, Vaseline them to stop water. your done.
Nice post! :thumbsu:

Particularly like that DIY alternator cover, great find! :D Need altavista translator though!

Richard, as it happens, I found that manky old original alternator cover - I hadn't actually chucked it out yet (I'm such and automotive Womble ;)). Yours if you want it. :)

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:19 pm

Rob - the inner arch one, for the belts? That'd be awesome if you've got that, I haven't seen any on eBay!

Now I just need to figure out the coolant heatshield, I've seen one or two on eBay but unlike the alternator one, where I can see how it attaches around the manifold, I can't see how the coolant pipe side heat shield attaches - if there's a bracket, or if it's on the bulkhead rather than the block, or shares bolts with the exhaust studs. Oddly even looking at EPCs I haven't spotted the answer!

And my droplinks were pointed out to me today - the postie had hidden them in a garden tap box!
2011 C3 Airdream+

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Yes, the inner wheel arch one. It's a bit baggy, but it'll do the job you need it to perform :)

The heat shields are mounted off brackets on the block IIRC - I had to 'modify' them with a lump hammer when fitting a 4-2-1 manifold to Project Shed... :lol:

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:46 pm

Heheh, that's a proper mod!

I have no brackets that I can see, so I'll need to track those down. Maybe when I've got the manifold fitted.
2011 C3 Airdream+

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:51 am

I'll see whether I can take some photos - but they're going to look a little, er, how shall I put it? "Relieved". :lol: