Should the Alarm go off when boot is opened?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
hilly
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Aug 96 MGF VVC Mk1

Should the Alarm go off when boot is opened?

Post by hilly » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi All,

For the purpose of this one, I'll set out that I say the Boot is at the back of the car (small rear boot and engine) and the Bonnet is at the front of the car (Spare wheel - NO Engine) !! ;)

Question............

When my car is locked and alarmed via the key fob and the STD factory alarm, if I open the BOOT with my key, without dis-arming the alarm nothing happens, but if I then pull the lever in the BOOT to open the BONNET , the alrm goes off straight away!!

Is this correct??

Surely, the alarm should go off if I open the BOOT as well?

If not, then why do we all seem to put our CD changers and other valubles in there!!!!! :?

As a note, when I open theBOOT, the BOOT interior light DOES come on.

Cheres all,

Dave.
Why do I always get out of my 'F' with a smile on my face ! ;-)

MurrayG
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: TF LE500, 1950 YA

Re: Should the Alarm go off when boot is opened?

Post by MurrayG » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:57 pm

The alarm on my LE500 sounds if I open the boot before dis-arming the alarm. So far I think the count is 4 times since purchase :oops: :oops:
I guess I'll learn sometime, after all if Pavlov's dogs could be trained ...
Murray Grainger
MG TF LE500 - #98, Crystal White
MG YA - #5100, Old English White, blog http://y5100.blogspot.com
Travel blog http://ukiwi.blogspot.com
Silly Signs blog http://sillysigns.blogspot.com

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:22 am

If I open the boot on my 97 F with the key, the alarm doesn't activate. Pull the bonnet catch though and it will!

Perhaps that the way it is on the early cars?

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:31 am

If I open the boot on my 2000 F without disarming the alarm, the alarm goes off ~ I guess it's to stop tealeaves breaking into the boot. However on a TF you can open the boot with the key without triggering the alarm. It's taken me a while to remember that the F's alarm sounds if I don't unlock the car first :)
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 am

My 98 F allows access to the boot with the key whilst the alarm is set without setting off the alarm. If you force open the boot without the key, the boot will alarm! The key disables the alarm whilst the boot is open but you will notice when you shut the boot, the alarm is reactivated.
The front bonnet though will go off when you pull the cable and open it. The alarm needs to be disabled to open front bonnet.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:55 am

nigelandjo wrote:If I open the boot on my 2000 F without disarming the alarm, the alarm goes off ~ I guess it's to stop tealeaves breaking into the boot. However on a TF you can open the boot with the key without triggering the alarm. It's taken me a while to remember that the F's alarm sounds if I don't unlock the car first :)
You have a problem either with the key operated micro switch or the boot LH corner wiring harness.
Geoff F.

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:25 am

Yes my 2001 F also allows access to the boot with the key when the alarm is activated. However, if you open the storage area at the front then the horn will sound. As has been said above it's the key that switches off the alarm in the boot. If you try to break into it without the key then it will sound the horn. Your valuables should be quite safe stored there.

I'm wondering if this is something that can be altered when attached to a testbook. I can start the engine in my car without pressing any of the buttons on the fob. However, I've recently been in a couple of Fs and TFs that you need to disarm the immobiliser by pressing a fob button before the engine will start. I understand that this can be sorted by changing some settings with a testbook. Might the access to the boot problem also be sorted with a quick tweak using a testbook.

hilly

Post by hilly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi All,

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, quite an interesting question as it turns out then!

Thanks to you all for your responses.

It is a little confusing as most of you think that my car is fine as the key temporerily / partially dis-arms the alarm, but Geoff is convinced I have a sinister problem......... :?

I'll check it tomorrow to see if the alarm re-arms when I shut the boot.

I'll also plug it in to see what chioces I get on the book / code reader.

Keepem coming!

As a side note, if I get inot my 96 F and open and close doors, us stereo etc, or stop from driving and put itgnition back on.. all theis without locking and un-locking..... my alarm LED comes on on the dash and as soon as I turn the ignition on a smaller internal alsrm sounds and the car will NOT start as the starter is imobalised. I quite like this really, ifnot a little teadious at times.

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:27 pm

hilly wrote: It is a little confusing as most of you think that my car is fine as the key temporerily / partially dis-arms the alarm, but Geoff is convinced I have a sinister problem......... :? .
Your car is behaving correctly hilly - deactivating the alarm to the boot with the key is correct. They all do that & the owners manual says it should

Geoff was actually commenting on nigelandjo's car which does not seem to be behaving as it should.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Fletch29
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Post by Fletch29 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:43 pm

My 2004 TF allows me to open boot with key without rtiggering alarm and resets when boot is closed, as above any attempt to open bonnet triggers alarm.
Incidently a couple of years ago I had 2 keys cut at local keyshop, (as precaution against locking keys in boot, once was enough!) these keys will open boot or doors without triggering the alarm but will not allow the car to start, ie doesn't disable the immobilizer

hilly

Post by hilly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:40 pm

Hi Kieth,

Ah yes!!

So he was................. :lol:

Glad to know I've no issues and my (Rear) boot, is a safe place to store things!

David Clelland

Post by David Clelland » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 pm

hilly wrote: I'll also plug it in to see what chioces I get on the book / code reader.
Do you have a proper MG Testbook then?
hilly wrote: As a side note, if I get inot my 96 F and open and close doors, us stereo etc, or stop from driving and put itgnition back on.. all theis without locking and un-locking..... my alarm LED comes on on the dash and as soon as I turn the ignition on a smaller internal alsrm sounds and the car will NOT start as the starter is imobalised. I quite like this really, ifnot a little teadious at times.

I don't think that this is right. As I said above I know that some cars behave like this but I think the vast majority of cars can start the engine without disarming the immobiliser - this has already been done when you unlock the doors.

hilly

Post by hilly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Dave,

I've not got one, but my mate has a garage with the OBC(or whatever it's called!) plug in gear, so I wondered if that might tell me... Or is thaere a specific MG one?

On the open and close thing.......................

If I say drive around, stop and leave the car.......... be in and around it, but not lock the doors............. it will imobalise. It gives me an internal audible warning as soon as the ignition is turned on and I cannot start the car unless I push the unlock button again. As I said, whilst it can be a bit teadious at times, for a car like this, i.e. soft top, I guess it could be seen as a nice touch.

On a further BOOT point. With the car locked, and I open boot with key, the indicators DO NOT flash when the boot is shut again.

It's all a bit deep in here agian !! LOL

:D

Dave.

David Clelland

Post by David Clelland » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:16 am

As far as I know the MG Testbook is pretty specific to MG Cars and I don't think that a generic OBD II reader will help you much.

You can test your alarm system by doing the following -

1. Ensure doors, bonnet and the boot lid are closed.
2. Sit in the driver’s seat and close the door.
NOTE: The next three actions must be carried out within 2 seconds.
3. Depress the driver’s doorsill button.
4. Switch the ignition on, off and on again.
5. Raise the driver’s doorsill button.
If the test mode has been entered correctly, the horns will give a short beep and the engine immobilisation buzzer will sound.
Opening either door, the bonnet or the boot lid, or operating the driver’s doorsill button, will cause the alarm LED to illuminate for approximately one second. If the LED does not illuminate, there is a system fault.
The volumetric sensor can also be tested while in test mode. To test the volumetric sensor, press the unlock button on the remote handset several times. The alarm LED will illuminate for approximately 1 second each time movement is detected in the vehicle.
The test mode is cancelled by switching the ignition OFF.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 pm

Geoff.F wrote:
nigelandjo wrote:If I open the boot on my 2000 F without disarming the alarm, the alarm goes off ~ I guess it's to stop tealeaves breaking into the boot. However on a TF you can open the boot with the key without triggering the alarm. It's taken me a while to remember that the F's alarm sounds if I don't unlock the car first :)
You have a problem either with the key operated micro switch or the boot LH corner wiring harness.
Geoff F.

That's another item to add to my list of jobs to do on the F! :)
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

hilly

Post by hilly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks David,

Door Sill Button???

Where is it?

I'll have to look!

bgunn
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by bgunn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:08 am

hilly wrote:Thanks David,

Door Sill Button???

Where is it?

I'll have to look!
The one at the top rear of the door - used to lock/unlock the car from inside when it's not deadlocked.

hilly

Post by hilly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:17 am

Ah........ Got it! DUH LOL :D

Cheers guys, I'll have a play with it all to see what's what.

:thumbsu:

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:08 pm

David Clelland wrote: I've recently been in a couple of Fs and TFs that you need to disarm the immobiliser by pressing a fob button before the engine will start. I understand that this can be sorted by changing some settings with a testbook. Might the access to the boot problem also be sorted with a quick tweak using a testbook.
Yes David, you are correct. From my 2000 Owners Handbook.
" Engine Immobilisation. The Engine is immobilised automatically whenever the car is locked, whenever the key is removed from the starter switch and also 30 seconds after the starter switch is turned to Position "O" and the drivers door has been opened."
This is how my car was when new however in 2002 it went to Edwards of Stratford due to the alarm going off 14 -15 seconds after locking. They spent two days fault finding with MGR Engineers but could not cure it even with changing the complete system from a showroom car. The immobiliser has only worked since on the Fob.
Stories End. MGR considered that I must have an after-market alarm system added that was causing the problem. 'Yes, I do' whereupon I was presented with a very large Bill. 'Have you read the Work Sheet ??' 'What about it ??' 'The Note stating This Car is Fitted with a ******* GPS Alarm Recovery System'
After a 10 minute huddle in the back office, I was given the keys and drove away. The ******** Alarm Engineers considered that no way could it be there bit but when it was dis-connected the car alarm did not go off. Re-connected and the alarm still did not go off. By dis-connecting the **** Alarm back up battery, it had been re-booted and the problem went away.
Geoff F.