Windscreen washers not working

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Fletch29
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Windscreen washers not working

Post by Fletch29 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Had a problem with washers yesterday- reservoir full, pump running but no water on screen. Following pipe work to small non-return value on underside of bonnet, disconnected valve and tried blowing through it (doesn't screenwash taste awful!) no luck so tried connecting to foot pump 2 quick pumps dirt and water ejected......problem solved.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Windscreen washers not working

Post by talkingcars » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:11 pm

I wish mine was as simple, bottle full, fuse intact and wipers working but no motor noise, it'll need more time.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Mike1
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Mike1 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:12 pm

I had the same thing, used a dirty watering can to fill it up one day, a quick blast from the airline and problem solved.
It's worth taking the bottle off and washing it out, probably dirt in the bottom.

Mike1
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Mike1 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:15 pm

talkingcars wrote:I wish mine was as simple, bottle full, fuse intact and wipers working but no motor noise, it'll need more time.
You can get the pumps pretty cheap second hand. Just pushes into the back of the bottle.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Mike1 wrote:
talkingcars wrote:I wish mine was as simple, bottle full, fuse intact and wipers working but no motor noise, it'll need more time.
You can get the pumps pretty cheap second hand. Just pushes into the back of the bottle.
I've done several over the years and got several spare motors knocking around, just need to find them and the time to fit one.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Tall_Bloke
Model of Car: MGF Mk 2

Post by Tall_Bloke » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:33 pm

There was a post regarding this same issue either last year or the year before.
I had a similar problem and ended up taking the whole system apart and cleaning it out. The guide and way ahead was very useful and a great help. I ended up with all the hoses and the bottle in a bucket with a mild bleech solution in to get rid of the algea. Once back together again it worked a treat and still does.
The post also mentioned suitable replacement parts and systems to use, but i'm happy with my cleaned out system.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:04 am

I've got mine working - details are in a new post.