Do chips work?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
plrobbo
MGF Register Region: Western Australia
Model of Car: 2004 MGTF 160 LE

Do chips work?

Post by plrobbo » Mon May 03, 2010 9:41 am

I have a friend who bought a diode looking thing that goes into the lead to the Air Sensor. It's supposed to 'trick' the computor into giving the engine more fuel???
My friend says it has made her VVC 'fly'!
Does anyone know if these things are worth it or can damage the computor please?
Cheers Robbo
Eat your heart out! My car is a MGTF 160 Coupe LE - Monogram Black Olive - one of 30 in the world.

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Re: Do chips work?

Post by Steve White » Mon May 03, 2010 10:42 am

They should be avoided like the plague. They basically cause the engine to overfuel, which reduces power rather then increasing it (even though the enigne may feel stornger, as well as causing increased piston/bore wear as the excess fuel washes away the lubrucating oil.

Rob has a bit more info on the damage they can cause on his site, under the engine tuning section and 'tuning gear to avoid'.
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/

James Curgenven
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG ZT 260 SE #455

Post by James Curgenven » Mon May 03, 2010 10:43 am

Ahh the old ebay £0.99 resister. Guaranteed to kill you engine through overfueling.

Tell your friend to say hello to bore wash and the cost of a new engine.

In short. They Don't Work, and they WILL damage your engine in time.
---
Loud & Proud!

stux99
Model of Car: TF/TF Steppy/MGGS/3

Post by stux99 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:40 am

Couldnt resist a post after reading the title :lol:
(Its a West Country thing)
Seriously though, avoid them at all costs.

vain
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by vain » Mon May 03, 2010 12:47 pm

Mine is superchipped and feels really strong with no flatspots, but then again its the only one I've driven so they could all be like that :D :D

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon May 03, 2010 4:42 pm

A super chip is different to the resistor mentioned above, it gives a new map to the ECU to give more power. However getting the car properly mapped is a better option as it will take in to account any mods you may have etc
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

plrobbo

Post by plrobbo » Tue May 04, 2010 8:42 am

WOW! How quick was that to get a response.
Thanks guys.
Yes, I'd say it is a resister that I'm talking about - a $5 touch.
I'll have to let my friend know ASAP as she's just spent AUST$14,000 putting a new engine in.
Does re-mapping the ECU mean you have to buy a 'superchip' OR just get the existing ECU re-mapped?
Many thanks - Robbo.
Eat your heart out! My car is a MGTF 160 Coupe LE - Monogram Black Olive - one of 30 in the world.

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 am

It depends what MEMs is fitted a later type 3 can be remapped mine in my 97 VVC cant so would benifet from a superchip.
$14000 for an new engine seems a bit over the top!
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 04, 2010 12:04 pm

Resistor in line with the inlet air temperature sensor is a pointless, damaging thing to do for all the reasons already mentioned by Steve, James and Stu!

And yes, there's the perception that the car drives better from low speed, but over all, over-fuelling drops mid to top end power (see power curve below - comparing a standard with a higher pressure and therefore over-fuelling fuel pressure regulator). Read more about this here, where I looked at upping the fuel line pressure on a fairly standard K-series engine... Needless to say, I've now got a standard fuel pressure regulator fitted once again! :lol:

Superchips do work - and on a 1.9 or 2J MEMS equipped engine, are a piggy-back device. But when I say "work" I mean that there is a power gain, but it isn't exactly huge - probably in the region of 5-8bhp. This is worth considering when you consider the cost of such a unit: the power gain for the money spent does not perhaps represent the greatest investment you could make. But for greater power gains with more extensive engine modifications, an ECU upgrade does become manditory as the standard fuel/ignition maps make no sense to the engine that you've spent much time and money upgrading...

James Curgenven
Model of Car: MG ZT 260 SE #455

Post by James Curgenven » Tue May 04, 2010 12:22 pm

If it's not a turbo it's going to be costly to get a lot more power from most cars.

The main benefit of a Turbo Diesel (I know, I know) is that you can add extra fuel as there is usually enough air there to make use of it.

Plus you can increase the boost until the engine spectacularly detonates itself, there's no "upper limit" where you notice no benefit like on a petrol turbo. :lol:

On a normally aspirated petrol adding more fuel just means it's not burnt which causes the problems in the engine. If you really want to see gains you're going to have to start spending serious money.
---
Loud & Proud!

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Tue May 04, 2010 2:20 pm

stick to edible chips and you cant go wrong :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

MG Ant
Model of Car: Mk 2 MGF 1.8i

Post by MG Ant » Tue May 04, 2010 2:56 pm

colintf wrote:stick to edible chips and you cant go wrong :thumbsu:
Although the weight you'll gain will undoubtly lead to slower acceleration and added tyre wear! ;)
Ant
MGCC Member
2001 MGF 1.8i
Chrome accessories
Bodywork fed on Auto Glym products

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 04, 2010 2:59 pm

MG Ant wrote:
colintf wrote:stick to edible chips and you cant go wrong :thumbsu:
Although the weight you'll gain will undoubtly lead to slower acceleration and added tyre wear! ;)
:lol: :thumbsu:

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Wed May 05, 2010 1:09 am

Rob Bell wrote:Resistor in line with the inlet air temperature sensor is a pointless, damaging thing to do for all the reasons already mentioned by Steve, James and Stu!

And yes, there's the perception that the car drives better from low speed, but over all, over-fuelling drops mid to top end power (see power curve below - comparing a standard with a higher pressure and therefore over-fuelling fuel pressure regulator). Read more about this here, where I looked at upping the fuel line pressure on a fairly standard K-series engine... Needless to say, I've now got a standard fuel pressure regulator fitted once again! :lol:

Superchips do work - and on a 1.9 or 2J MEMS equipped engine, are a piggy-back device. But when I say "work" I mean that there is a power gain, but it isn't exactly huge - probably in the region of 5-8bhp. This is worth considering when you consider the cost of such a unit: the power gain for the money spent does not perhaps represent the greatest investment you could make. But for greater power gains with more extensive engine modifications, an ECU upgrade does become manditory as the standard fuel/ignition maps make no sense to the engine that you've spent much time and money upgrading...
With my flowed and ported Trophy 160 head, new cam, Dave Andrews dowels, I am using a FSE FPR and after setting up on a rolling road it's just under 4.bar. To get the best from my set up I know I need to get an ECU up grade and am thinking of a Wolf which is a local product, the onlything that is stopping me is funds!
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

plrobbo

Post by plrobbo » Wed May 05, 2010 8:15 am

Thanks guys - it has generated alot of discussion and I'm sure others have benefitted by this as well.
I spoke to my friend and she's taken 'the resister' out of the Air Sensor Plug!
I like Colin's idea QUOTE: "stick to edible chips and you cant go wrong".
Cheers Robbo.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed May 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Andrew Regens wrote:With my flowed and ported Trophy 160 head, new cam, Dave Andrews dowels, I am using a FSE FPR and after setting up on a rolling road it's just under 4.bar. To get the best from my set up I know I need to get an ECU up grade and am thinking of a Wolf which is a local product, the onlything that is stopping me is funds!
Having the rolling road set up is the key here Andrew as you know. Unfortunately, not everyone who buys these fuel pressure regulators know to do this - and will have to set the pressure using nothing more sophisticated than a guess and a moistened finger to determine wind direction... ;)
plrobbo wrote:Thanks guys - it has generated alot of discussion and I'm sure others have benefitted by this as well.
I spoke to my friend and she's taken 'the resister' out of the Air Sensor Plug!
No worries - that's the best bit of these forums - there's always something for all of us to learn :D