MGF Power steering

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
rob76gt
MGF Register Region: South East

MGF Power steering

Post by rob76gt » Tue May 11, 2010 10:09 am

Can all you gurus out there confirm that all MGFs were fitted with power steering? or which models are not. I am going to look at a 96 P which has "heavy steering"

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: MGF Power steering

Post by Keith Williams » Tue May 11, 2010 10:22 am

Not all MGFs had power steering. The VVC model had it from the start but it was an optional extra on the other models. Not sure when it became standard on all models but a P reg may not have it fitted.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Phil MGFPM
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2001 mpi in JAJ

Post by Phil MGFPM » Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am

Hi, I have a Mk1 98 MGF which did not get EPAS; built late 97, first registered feb-98, must have been one of the last non-VVCs to not get it as standard - the driver side of the engine bay opposite the battery is empty if no EPAS.
Previously owned '98 F 1.8mpi bought 2008; then a '97 F Mk1 1.8 VVC in nightfire red, bought 2011; now a '01 F 1.8mpi in tahiti blue, bought Nov-19

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 11, 2010 11:36 am

Phil MGFPM wrote:Hi, I have a Mk1 98 MGF which did not get EPAS; built late 97, first registered feb-98, must have been one of the last non-VVCs to not get it as standard - the driver side of the engine bay opposite the battery is empty if no EPAS.
Yes, on early MPis EPAS was an optional extra. I can't now recall the swap over date - 1998/1999? Dieter may have the change over VIN to look out for.

Phil, the area you refer to is for ABS. When occupied, that tray carries a Bosch ABS pump...

Unfortunately, there aren't many easy inspection indicators to tell whether a car has EPAS or not from the curb side - but EPAS cars will have a 40AMP fuse on the underbonnet fuse panel for it if fitted.

rob76gt

Post by rob76gt » Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks all I know where to look now. :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 11, 2010 1:05 pm

I spotted that you're after a project car - what's the plan? Restoration/show car/track car? :)

rob76gt

Post by rob76gt » Tue May 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Rob Bell wrote:I spotted that you're after a project car - what's the plan? Restoration/show car/track car? :)
I am going to give the MGF a chance to redeem itself after only managing 350 miles in total in the last one! I commute 100miles a day to work and a project appeals because I dont have to rely on it from day one and can return it to the road without rushing.

No plans for track day car at the present time, just a bit of fun 8-) to break up the tedium of the same journey every day. I've had various Spitfires, MGBs, TR7s over the years and I suppose there is a little mid-life-crisis going on too ;)

Just been offered a deal on a 96 P which is better than project car (cross fingers for this one)

Must say I'm impressed by the depth of knowledge here on the forum - hope I'll need more of it soon :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Good for you Rob :thumbsu:

My other sports car is a Mk3 Triumph Spitfire! [Cue bun fight from Midget owners! :lol:] - and I have always rather wanted a TR7 convertible... Mind you, given half a chance, I'd fill a warehouse full of British sports cars, from Alpines to Lotus Elises! ;)

rob76gt

Post by rob76gt » Tue May 11, 2010 3:18 pm

:D I can speak with some "authority" having owned both the Spitfire 3 is good but my 1965 AH Sprite MK3 (nee Midget MK2) was the most fun ever ;)

My TR7 was a Speke built car with 4 speed Dolomite gearbox. The usable rev range was pathetic 3500 to 5000 and the box broke leaving me with 4th gear only (but I drove it like that for 4-weeks!).

I enjoyed the "F" while it lasted although the pedal box was a bit cramped for size 11s do you know of any mods in this area or should I look for an automatic :?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 11, 2010 4:21 pm

I'd agree with you - a swing-spring is going to major on ride rather than handling, but I couldn't afford a sprite when I got the Triumph - in those days, Mk3's were much cheaper! Probably the most valuable Spitfire model these days though. A car to cruise in I reckon. A Spridget is a car to drive...

Oh, and I'd probably avoid the Speke cars... ;) :lol:

Now have 2 MGFs - one I've owned since new from 1996!

The biggest gripes regarding the MGF driving position are many fold - a brake pedal that's set too high (can be lowered - there's a kit from Mike Satur that's pretty easy to fit) and a driving position that is too high, that tends to force the legs up against the steering wheel. There's a seat base lowering kit from VHS that works here, and for further lowering, a different seat base spring (Brown and Gammons etc). Personally I find the pedal spacing to be a bit too large, but perhaps that's because I've got Chapman-sized boots!

Bandit
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Post by Bandit » Wed May 12, 2010 1:20 am

The best Mk3 Spitfires are the ones with spaceframe chassis, ali & GRP body and 300bhp of V8 up front, provided you can forgive the wicked bump-steer and use only the stickiest of sticky tyres 8-)

The MY2000 onwards Steptronic F has the solution to the pedal issue, but can't cope with any more than the entry-level power output so can frustrate the 'enthusiastic driver'. Would definitely come with power steering though ;)

Knocking the brake pedal height down a bit does help, but still heel'n'toe-ing can be a challenge. My project car task list includes addressing this with a lateral mod to the brake pedal, but at current rate it'll be some years before I can report on whether it worked...

VHS are working on a modified steering arm (track rod end to hub) that will quicken the steering and sounds very appealing, but would I suspect be less so if you didn't have EPAS - bring on the spinach...

rob76gt

Post by rob76gt » Wed May 12, 2010 3:40 pm

bandit wrote:The best Mk3 Spitfires are the ones with spaceframe chassis, ali & GRP body and 300bhp of V8 up front, provided you can forgive the wicked bump-steer and use only the stickiest of sticky tyres 8-)

The MY2000 onwards Steptronic F has the solution to the pedal issue, but can't cope with any more than the entry-level power output so can frustrate the 'enthusiastic driver'. Would definitely come with power steering though ;)

Knocking the brake pedal height down a bit does help, but still heel'n'toe-ing can be a challenge. My project car task list includes addressing this with a lateral mod to the brake pedal, but at current rate it'll be some years before I can report on whether it worked...

VHS are working on a modified steering arm (track rod end to hub) that will quicken the steering and sounds very appealing, but would I suspect be less so if you didn't have EPAS - bring on the spinach...
Most of the old bangers I've owned have been without Power steering (even as an option) so I'm OK with an upper body work out. If it only helped with reducing the waistline :oops: