Rear diffuser?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Rear diffuser?

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Just come across a very interesting thread on the VX220 forum - http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/index.ph ... 65408&st=0

Before diffuser, the airflow at the back of a VX220 is modelled thus:

And after fitting a 12 degree diffuser, things are smoothed out a bit:

Lots more detail in the above mentioned thread. Would be interesting to see whether this might work on an MGF/TF - packaging the rear exhaust box is the trickiest bit!

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Rear diffuser?

Post by colintf » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:39 pm

interesting thoughts Rob 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:23 pm

The MGF has this aeroplane like "wing" at the back, I played with the thoughts of using it to have a low mounted rear spoiler long before the time of diffuser. Never dared to change however. I guess there are too many obstructions at the underside of the car :twisted:
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:30 pm

I hate to tell you Rob, but if can think of anything to do on an MGF Mr Hiorns has probably already tried it -

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:54 am

David, I remember seeing Goldenwheels in that guise, I would love to have seen the air flow diagram on that. My eldest boy, Michael, has a 2 litre Clio 197 with a rear diffuser fitted as standard it's absolutely awesome by the way (would have loved one of those when I was 21 !), working with Renault daily I spoke to the engineers recently and they took a 197 out on the track without the rear wing and diffuser, it was all over the place they said. The one fitted to the Clio is similar to the second picture. Definitely an interesting mod if it became available I think. May be a bit concerning about heat build up around the silencer and exhaust though and it may hang down too low at the back for daily road use ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Gerry had certainly 'been there, done that' with many things, but I think with the rear diffuser, his won't have worked too well with the back box interrupting the air-stream. In fact the position and size of the silencer is a real problem, but it may be possible to package something, but I suspect that some rear bumper surgery is going to be necessary... not a problem on a car like the Shed - but for a road car, well, depends on how extreme you'd want to be.

Gerry's rear spoiler however was certainly in the best position to be actually functional :thumbsu:

J13UTM
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: 2001 Trophy 160

Post by J13UTM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:26 pm

Im an aerospace design studen right now - for my next project im using my car....

My intention is to reproduce the cars outer skin - to my best accuracy and then run a simulated airflow over the car, examing boundary layers and stagnation points on the car. The plan is to be able to understand exactly where the MGF could do with a diffuser,and the optimum size for air scoops. Watch this space guys ;)
MGF VVC Panther LE
KH Cheetah Bodykit & Splitter, Roversport Spoiler, SP Exhaust, 52mmTB, Custom RamAir Induction Kit, KYB Shocks, AP Racing Clutch, ULW Fly, SS Kit, SS Coolant Pipes, Lots Of Chrome, Electric Roof, LED Lighting, TF Tailights

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:17 pm

I'm looking forward to this!!! :thumbsu:

colintf

Post by colintf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:25 am

J13UTM wrote:Im an aerospace design studen right now - for my next project im using my car....

My intention is to reproduce the cars outer skin - to my best accuracy and then run a simulated airflow over the car, examing boundary layers and stagnation points on the car. The plan is to be able to understand exactly where the MGF could do with a diffuser,and the optimum size for air scoops. Watch this space guys ;)
hey nice one. well done!

8-)

Colin Murrell

J13UTM

Post by J13UTM » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Yes, the plan is for me to create a CAD model of the outer shell, to the best of my abillity - with simple wheels and undercarriage. Then run a CFD program etc to look at the airflow. Suprisingly all i need to do is get the CAD model right and the rest is easy.
MGF VVC Panther LE
KH Cheetah Bodykit & Splitter, Roversport Spoiler, SP Exhaust, 52mmTB, Custom RamAir Induction Kit, KYB Shocks, AP Racing Clutch, ULW Fly, SS Kit, SS Coolant Pipes, Lots Of Chrome, Electric Roof, LED Lighting, TF Tailights

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 pm

3D models may already exist - there are a few models here: http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7538

Basic MGF and TF dimensions are listed - but not sure whether the vector diagrams are available?

J13UTM

Post by J13UTM » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:48 pm

TBH solidworks - my software - is pretty easy to use so i may just start from scratch -ive got over a year to start this project anyways so it will be the modelling phase that takes a while.

I saw a few blue prints on that sie which i may be able to use so I have logged onto that one.
MGF VVC Panther LE

J13UTM

Post by J13UTM » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Rob Bell wrote: but not sure whether the vector diagrams are available?
thats going to be the hard part - and modelling the fabric roof
MGF VVC Panther LE

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:58 pm

Can you model the roof down as well? MGF Cup cars race without a roof fitted... which is why rear spoilers are often pretty pointless on these cars. But a diffuser on the other hand... ;)

J13UTM

Post by J13UTM » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:10 pm

That could be difficult to do due to how the canopy folds - at least would be hard for my skills. Ill try. The priority for me will be getting the frame of the car and then model each panel
MGF VVC Panther LE

colintf

Post by colintf » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Can you model the roof down as well? MGF Cup cars race without a roof fitted... which is why rear spoilers are often pretty pointless on these cars. But a diffuser on the other hand... ;)
several of the Trophy TF's have hardtops on (Dreadnought's Paul Luti, Luffield's David Woods spring to mind)

8-)

Colin Murrell

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:46 pm

Much better to run with the hard tops - but they're hard to come by or are very expensive (B&G have some I believe). I'll just have to bide my time and wait to see whether a sheddy second hand example ever turns up... ;)

But back to the roof down- I think that this would be a useful exercise - as let's face it, most of us drive with the roof down much of the time - and that ruins air flow over the rear of the car. Would be nice to see how engine bay cooling might be improved with the roof stowed?

But that said - getting the car modelled at all is the first vital step - so over to you. I'll break out the pom poms and start cheering you on! :lol:

J13UTM

Post by J13UTM » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Well to bring everyone up to date with the car modelling item, i have put it in a bikini but i dont think we will win any competitions just yet.

No seriously i will try and model it with the roof down - for simplicity i may just not add the hood on for that model - just remove it from the assembly. In terms of the car im going to try and model each panel and then create an assembly of them and mate them together - it wont be as exact as I would like but it will be a great excercise - mainly for the rear diffuser and air intakes.

Im hoping to get started next week at some point if work allows. Should probably start a new thread for the project once the ball gets rolling
MGF VVC Panther LE

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 am

Yes, that's all we need really - just model the windscreen and perhaps the side windows for the roof down model :)

Very exciting project - really looking to seeing how this comes together :thumbsu:

Mark L
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Mark L » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Pointless and ugly!....

Unless you do lots of very high speed track work then these diffusers are little more than cosmetic.

Interestingly, I owned a VX220 and lots of owners fitted aftermarket diffusers, the most popular was a brand called 'TAT' which pretty much sums it up for me!.

Would you really want to nail one of these things to the rear of your car?..