Earlie MGF 1996 Volcano Red - mobile phone interference

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
KISSAUN George E
MGF Register Region: Europe

Earlie MGF 1996 Volcano Red - mobile phone interference

Post by KISSAUN George E » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi Paula,
I have owned an MGF since August of 1996. It was the first batch for export and it is the second to hit the road in Malta.
The colour was the launch VOLCANO RED Pearlescent, right-hand drive. Other specifications 1.8 cc. It has 12870 km on the clock
I am also a frequent visitor to the Classic Car Show at the NEC, but could not make it this year. THE PROBLEM IS --- MOBILE PHONE INTERFERECE WITH DOOR SECURITY. LOCKING CAR DOORS and not ABLE TO OPEN WITH SIGNAL FROM KEY. AS WELL AS INTERFERENCE FROM SIGNALS AT AIRPORT TRANSMISSIONS WHICH DIRECTLY INTERFERE WITH LOCKING SYSTEM and IMMOBILISES THE MGF.
I am wondering if anyone has reported this problem. I sent several e-mails to MG Birmingham and or through their website throughout the years including about 4 this year alone. No one found the decency to answer.
I was also one of the MG Club founder members, through registration at the NEC and still carry the MGF Member badge. It seems that the club died a natural death. I was happy to see it up and running.
Should anyone have some sort of information, kindly drop me an e-mail kge1@go.net.mt (the quickest). I will be in the UK
to talk to anyone about the problem.
Best wishes
George

MALTA GC

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Earlie MGF 1996 Volcano Red

Post by colintf » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi and welcome!

It might be an idea to ask the question over in teh Technical section, or maybe this thread could be moved there and retitled?

I'm sure that this has been discussed on here before.

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: Earlie MGF 1996 Volcano Red

Post by Keith Williams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:51 pm

Welcome to the MGF Register forum :thumbsu:

I think you may get more response to your question if it was posted in the Technical section so I moved it there for you.

Suspect you got no response from MG Birmingham as they were more interested in the LE500 and TF135 rather than helping out the older generation of cars. Hopefully you will get a response from this query on here.

As you may have seen the MG Car Club has celebrated its 80 birthday this year and the MGF Register celebrated 15 years of the MGF. The club is going from strength to strength at the moment :thumbsu:
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Re: Earlie MGF 1996 Volcano Red - mobile phone interference

Post by David Clelland » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:03 am

Since your car is an export model do you know if it uses the same remote control frequency as the cars exported to Japan (315MHz rather than the UK 433MHz). Quite a number of these cars were imported into New Zealand and I've heard of people having problems with mobile phone and radio masts. Cars won't start, but push them a hundred metres down the road and everything is fine. If this is the case I don't think that there is anything that you can do to solve the problem. The car was obviously designed for the environment that it was intended to be used in.

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:14 am

If the frequency proves to be the problem would it not be possible to change the alarm ECU and remotes for a set from a UK market car?
This is of interest to me as well as I am importing a Japanese market car into Canada. If there is an interference problem it would be nice to switch frequencies, particularly as my workplace is 1km from a major airport and is surrounded by phone towers! :o

Rich

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 am

Rich,

I'm sure you're right about changing all of the affected electrical bits on the car, but at what price? When I said "If this is the case I don't think that there is anything that you can do to solve the problem." I meant leaving the car as standard.

DC

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:08 am

The alarm bits come up on Ebay.uk at quite reasonable prices, so that alternative is open.
One thing to keep in mind is what frequencies are approved by whatever country you are in.
You wouldn't want to interfere with anything important!

Rich

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:33 am

In your case Rich, as the only MGF in Canada, no hoodlum would stand to gain by nicking parts, you could afford to lock it on the key only, and not worry about the frequencies!

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:31 am

Funny that you say "The only MGF in Canada" Charless!
I got a call on the weekend that there was an MGF in town enroute from Japan to Newfoundland, so It looks like I'm not the first.
I may well be the first on the West Coast, that is if the broker i'm dealing with in Japan finds me one quickly! At this point I am getting quite excited waiting for his call. My sensible side tells me that it will be better if the car arrives in the spring but I want it now!

Cheers,
Rich