Starting Problem

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Weezey
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Starting Problem

Post by Weezey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:49 am

Hi, I have recently bought my MGF with 59K and a good service history, icluding very recent new plugs, distributor cap and I have also just replaced the HT leads myself. I have two probems with it. 1)It misfires when under load...(which I presume must be the coil, as everything else has been replaced? 2)It now won't start. Yesterday morning when I got in to go to work, alarm and locks etc all worked fine on the key fob but when I went to start it, nothing happened when I turned the key. (all ignition lights etc all showing fine). When I tried again it fired up as usual and off I went to work. When I tried to get home in the evening, the same thing happened but without starting at all ie the key fob worked to unlock the car and deactivate the immoboliser but apart from all the ignition lights working...nothing happens at all when you turn the key. I say nothing, the only thing that happens is the stereo backlight dims and the oil temp guage does a little drop below minimum level. I though it might be the battery (but this is new and all lights including headlights etc are strong and bright). I then thought it might be the key fob and I changed the battery and tried all the incarnations recommended about unlocking the door manually and then pressing the button 4-8 times etc...without affect. I called the AA and the guy just bump started the car no problem. He said the immobiliser is connected to the starter motor and therefore is probably the fault. I drove home without problem but now of course still have the same problem. Someone else suggested the starter motor or ignition itself...being completely skint after xmas I don't want to spend a fortune sorting this....DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?? Thanks:)

redbeard57
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

Re: Starting Problem

Post by redbeard57 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 am

Check the leads to your starter motor are secure...I know this sounds fairly basic but I had a similar problem on a new LE500 which I borrowed, checked everything else, had the recovery people out, but it was only when it was returned to the dealer that the loose connection was spotted...good luck and hope to see your new "toy" at some of the events this year!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Agreed - this could be a poor engine earth problem.

I don't think that this is an immobiliser problem (you'll have the Lucas 5AS system). Failure to deactivate would be accompanied by the usual alarm chime. The immobiliser works on the fuel pump. Possibility that there is a problem with the ignition switch, but if all the problems have come together, then I would think that there is a common source.

Weezey

Post by Weezey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Thanks guys I'll have a look at the connection and let you know how I get on....:)

Malcbox
Model of Car: 1998 VVC

Post by Malcbox » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:48 pm

I had a vaguely similar problem in that my F would refuse to start, not even a click from the starter, but a persistent jiggling on/off of the ignigion key would sometimes get a result; a jump start or push would be fine.

I took it to a national tyre centre who tested and went for new battery, although this did not cure problem. Local garage also checked it out and also said battery duff despite it being brand new. Eventually got them to fit a new starter and have had no problems since.

The "with hindsight" supposition is that the starter was faulty and discharging the battery to the point that it would not fire the starter - a good auto-electrician would probably have spotted it early doors and saved a lot of time, effort and an unnecessary battery.

dfv8
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire

Post by dfv8 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi all,

I know that this response is about a month late but I thought you should know that I had the same problem today, and the solution could be of benefit to all concerned.

I 'phoned a certain well known service department in Baldock, and the engineer suggested that a common fault is with the trigger wire that goes into the starter motor. The RAC came today and guess what, the Lucar connector was really corroded. Once replaced all was fine.

I mention this because my F has been stood stationary under cover for the past three months.

Regards.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks for that :thumbsu:

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC