Hard top blistering!

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Misterb_57
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2001 MY MGF

Hard top blistering!

Post by Misterb_57 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:32 pm

The F's hardtop is blistering in the paint/gel coat finish and it appears to be getting worse as the winter wears on.

I'm guessing this is a form of osmosis, as when burst they emit water.

Has any experienced this before and if so what causes it and what can be done about it - it is dry stored in the summer.

Chris.
'Trouble and Strife' - and it belongs to the wife...

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Hard top blistering!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:31 pm

New one on me - mine's 15 years old, stored in summer (but spent the last two winters in the garden shed!!!), but nothing like that's happened to mine. It's GRP - and I bet there is a forum somewhere that deals with GRP (boat builders perhaps?) that will know what the problem is and how to solve it!

Hopefully someone knowledgable in things GRP can inform us, and do let us know if you find anything out!

pipster101
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: 1996 1.8 VVC MGF

Post by pipster101 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Funnily enough I was going to post up about this too. I haven't had my MGF long so I thought that all the blistering over the hard-top was some sort of tar or fallout debris, so that it would come off with either a tar remover or some clay. But the blisters are solid and don't seem to be effected by the tar remover. There's a LOT on my hard-top, plus I noticed one on my wing-mirror too. What do people think are causing them? :?

Cheers, Jonathan
Mod's so far: 52mm Throttle Body, Pipercross Venom Cold-Air Induction kit, Smoked Mirrors Kit, Chrome Grille Kit Front & Side, Toyosports S/S Manifold, Janspeed Sports Cat, Janspeed Slashed Imola Exhaust, Superchips Race ICON ECU (to be fitted soon)

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:49 pm

What colours are your hardtops that are blistering - have they been painted? I've had my black Heritage one for about 10 years now and it's fine. Like Rob I hardly ever use it now and it's been hanging in the garage for the last 3 years without going on the car.

pipster101

Post by pipster101 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Well, mine's in the original black. How it's been kept in the past I've no idea, although not very well judging by the chips on the front edge and the fact that the headlining had no lining!

By the way, boring question - I love the picture of your car - but how do you keep your brake discs looking so shiny and new?! I have new discs and they've been going slightly rusty. Even after a good clean of my alloys with wheel cleaner, which also cleaned the brake calipers (which have then started to corrode a little again) the discs never came up clean. Are you spraying them with brake disc cleaner?

Cheers
Mod's so far: 52mm Throttle Body, Pipercross Venom Cold-Air Induction kit, Smoked Mirrors Kit, Chrome Grille Kit Front & Side, Toyosports S/S Manifold, Janspeed Sports Cat, Janspeed Slashed Imola Exhaust, Superchips Race ICON ECU (to be fitted soon)

Canalsman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 2004 TF 160 LMG

Post by Canalsman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Misterb_57 wrote:The F's hardtop is blistering in the paint/gel coat finish and it appears to be getting worse as the winter wears on.

I'm guessing this is a form of osmosis, as when burst they emit water.

Has any experienced this before and if so what causes it and what can be done about it - it is dry stored in the summer.

Chris.
As a former GRP boat owner I know a little bit about this.

It's unlikely that a GRP hardtop would suffer from osmosis. Boats suffer from this when the gel coat is imperfect and water permeates into the substrate - but this will only happen with permanent immersion in water.

When a GRP boat is taken out of water, blisters may appear when the water trapped in the substrate tries to make for the exit.

If a boat is suffering from GRP osmosis, it has to be taken out of water for as long as required to dry out. Then treatment can begin. If the substrate isn't dry, any treatment that's undertaken just seals in the moisture, till it finds another way out.

It is curious that you say the blisters contain water though. I suppose if the hardtop has at some point been stored in an ultra humid environment it may have taken up water through the gel coat.

David Clelland

Post by David Clelland » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 pm

pipster101 wrote: By the way, boring question - I love the picture of your car - but how do you keep your brake discs looking so shiny and new?! I have new discs and they've been going slightly rusty. Even after a good clean of my alloys with wheel cleaner, which also cleaned the brake calipers (which have then started to corrode a little again) the discs never came up clean. Are you spraying them with brake disc cleaner?

Cheers
Sorry no black magic I'm afraid. I just use the brakes and that keeps the disc surface shiny. When they were new I painted the centre part of the discs (the bit that usually goes rusty) to keep them looking good. I never use alloy cleaner - all I do is polish the wheels and then wash them at the same time as the rest of the car.

daz41
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 97, 1.8mpi

Post by daz41 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:31 am

hi chris,

would it be possible to post some pic's

cheers
darren

pipster101

Post by pipster101 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:45 am

David Clelland wrote:I just use the brakes and that keeps the disc surface shiny. When they were new I painted the centre part of the discs (the bit that usually goes rusty) to keep them looking good. I never use alloy cleaner - all I do is polish the wheels and then wash them at the same time as the rest of the car.
Yes, I know that use is supposed to keep them clean but mine seem to rust over again very quickly and the back ones never seem to clean up at all - a bit of a pain, maybe it's my damp garage!

pipster101

Post by pipster101 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 am

daz41 wrote:would it be possible to post some pic's
I'll pop up and get some of mine this afternoon to see if we're talking about the same thing...would be handy to know what's going on.

Cheers

Canalsman

Post by Canalsman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 pm

pipster101 wrote:... maybe it's my damp garage!
There's nowhere worse to keep a car than a damp garage.

That has been proven over the years to hugely accelerate corrosion of all kinds.

Much better to keep the car on the drive or on the street ...

Misterb_57

Post by Misterb_57 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:22 pm

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post.

My HT is black and as I don't know its history I cant vouch for its previous storage but it general condition is good for 10 years old (assuming its as old as the F).

My garage is pretty dry and aerated, as my A restoration project with virtually no paint, can vouch for -so I'm pretty sure the problem does not lie there.

Canalsman - thanks for clearing up the osmosis theory. Clearly it has not been submerged but could it be down to faulty manufacture?

I'm considering flatting it back and respraying it, so do you guys have any advise as to which primer/sealer to use?

pipster101

Post by pipster101 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:25 am

Canalsman wrote:
pipster101 wrote:... maybe it's my damp garage!
There's nowhere worse to keep a car than a damp garage.

That has been proven over the years to hugely accelerate corrosion of all kinds.

Much better to keep the car on the drive or on the street ...
That backs up what the AA man said to me. I've been struggling to find another garage, that's the problem and I don't think that the missus would be too keen on the hard-top/spare alloys/cleaning products/various bits cluttering up our conservatory!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:56 am

From what Canalsman has said (very helpful, thanks!) I am starting to doubt that this problem is osmosis. Perhaps as you say Misterb, its more likely to be a manufacturing fault? In which case rubbing down to the substrate and reapplying a gel coat and prepping for paint is going to be the best bet.

I wonder whether this is a problem that is going to be more common on black hardtops that are coloured in their gel-coat, rather than the ones that are painted (and sealed?) in body colour?

Misterb_57

Post by Misterb_57 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Here we go - a picture
Attachments
DSCF0031.JPG
DSCF0031.JPG (109.72 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

Misterb_57

Post by Misterb_57 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 pm

and another one....

Has anyone out refinished one of these before?
Attachments
DSCF0035.JPG
DSCF0035.JPG (105.18 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

David Clelland

Post by David Clelland » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:03 pm

I've seen blisters like that on an MGB that had a respray. Has the hardtop possibly been painted black at some time and that's what's causing the problem. Hard to tell from the pictures but the finish looks a little "orange peel'd". The finish on my hardtop looks much smoother.

Canalsman

Post by Canalsman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 am

That doesn't look like osmosis at all to me.

Especially since some of the blisters are elongated.

I reckon it's just poor paint adhesion - perhaps some silicon found its way onto the surface before repainting ...

pipster101

Post by pipster101 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:17 am

I haven't managed to take a picture yet, but that's what mine looks like too - although I don't have any long elongated ones. Small hard bubbles, that don't seem to flex or have any give in them. Odd! Will take a piccy today. Cheers