TF Tyres

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
john_g
MGF Register Region: South East

Re: TF Tyres

Post by john_g » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:32 am

when I got home after the fitting I went to this thread 'viewtopic.php?t=20030'

which is a can of worms :) but Slippy's experiences do tally with mine.. car has 16" wheels and the correct load index..

anyway.. I will probably fir new toyos to the front, try that and then have tracking done.. will report back

thanks again,
John

john_g

Post by john_g » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:06 am

all, I need to sort my tyres out, so I am looking at getting Toyo TR-1's for the front wheels..
I cant find any!

handbook states 195/45/R16 84V
I can't find TR-1 except with 80 sidewall

on the back I now have 215/40/R16 86W TR-1's (just noticed handbook states 82W)have I got the wrong tyres for the back after all?

seems i am making a drama out of a crisis here :(

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:35 pm

86 is a higher load rating ~530kg opposed to 475kg for an 82 rated tyre.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

john_g

Post by john_g » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:24 am

yes thanks Nigel..

it's too high for the rear of the TF..

and 80 is too low for the front, Illegal I would think

john_g

Post by john_g » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:19 am

I have bought (Malay) Toyos for the front as per the technical bulletin..

(http://www.mgcc.co.uk/mgf-register/wp-c ... ment-1.png)

these have a different load index to the owners manual..(80 not 82) someone please tell me I have done right !> :)

If ok with the choice, I will have them fitted and report back.

Tyre pressures, manual states 28psi F / 36psi R - for the standard TF 7J sized tyres, but at least once today I have read of 26F/28R ? - any thoughts?

many thanks,
John

john_g

Post by john_g » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:09 am

fitted yesterday, and drove around 30 miles..

the upshot is the car is now many times safer.. the rear no longer wants to swap places with the front.. the car now has mild understeer, becoming 4 wheel drift.. these are not characteristics I had with the old mixed tyres, where the car just felt sharp and predictable. I suspect things will improve as the tyres lose tread.. the rubber is very soft and the blocks move about a lot..

no wet trials yet..

My conclusion (for this car) , fit 4 toyos to a 16" TF (not 2 to the rear only)
and don't expect the handling to be any better than what was previously on there, especially in the beginning..

John

Johnny
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Johnny » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Dear all,

General agreement that the right pressures are important but how does one know if the gauge you are using is accurate? Are there any recommendations for gauges out there that are known to be spot on?

Thanks

John

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:56 am

I don't think you'll ever be able to guarantee 'spot on', and to some extent you pays your money and takes your choice ;)

Personally I have always felt that analogue gauges are best (very subjective) but I have one in each car similar to this, although manufactured by ITC. Over the years they have each been in agreement with each other and also third party gauges costing many times more.

Get a gauge that you're happy with, that works for you, and make sure it covers the pressure range you might want to (ever) be working with. Mine are all 0-60psi.
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Wed May 30, 2018 5:53 pm

Just to confuse every thing, got a pair of new rear Toyo Proxes today ready for a trip to the Alps in July, and blow me they are "made in Japan" and dated 3512017 :roll:

I was ready to get a new set on the front, but now I don't.
Last edited by mgtfnut on Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:13 am

mgtfnut wrote:Just to confuse every thing, got a pair of new rear Toyo Proxes today ready for a trip to the Alps in July, and blow me they are "made in Japan" and dated 2017 :roll:

Oh dear - the "made in Japan" set of rears has changed the handling to twitchy as soon as I got out of Cardiff yesterday and onto the M48 on the way to Silverstone. Bit scary at first , but better on the way home.

I've got about six weeks before my trip, just hope the rears scrub in, or else take a gamble and get a new set of "made in Japan" fronts :?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:55 pm

mgtfnut wrote:
mgtfnut wrote:Just to confuse every thing, got a pair of new rear Toyo Proxes today ready for a trip to the Alps in July, and blow me they are "made in Japan" and dated 2017 :roll:

Oh dear - the "made in Japan" set of rears has changed the handling to twitchy as soon as I got out of Cardiff yesterday and onto the M48 on the way to Silverstone. Bit scary at first , but better on the way home.

I've got about six weeks before my trip, just hope the rears scrub in, or else take a gamble and get a new set of "made in Japan" fronts :?
Mmm, re-read the words about the 2014 compound change :roll: Looks like I'll have to get a set of fronts, and chuck away my existing half worn ones :(
The handing is getting better, but I don't want the distraction while on long motorway stints.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 pm

I gave up on Toyos & went with Falkens having fitted unwitingly a pair of the new compound T1rs just waiting for the rear Toyos to wear a bit more then it'll be Falkens all round no problems with the Falkens on the front & Toyos on the rear though even though I wasn't keen on the idea. They won't look right on those wheels of yours Gerry, but I'll take em off your hands if your stuck!!
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:25 am

Neil Rushton wrote: They won't look right on those wheels of yours Gerry, but I'll take em off your hands if your stuck!!
Thanks for taking an interest in my wheels Neil, but you can't have them :thumbsd:

Anyway, another run to Llandovery last night for a meeting seemed a lot better, most of the twitching seems to have stopped. It turns in really quickly, but still feels "floaty", technical term, at the rear at high speeds. It still feels nervous.

I've decided to get a matching set for the fronts as I don't want to worry/deal with it abroad on long, fast runs.

ps: the Chinese headlights really are ****, will be fitting a couple of good pre Chinese lights from Martin Smith before my trip abroad as well.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

Gavin207
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by Gavin207 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Got round to checking the tyres fitted to my car - Uniroyals, 195/50 on the front and 205/50 on the rear. I haven't seen these mentioned anywhere - does anyone have any thoughts on their fitment to a TF? Car handles ok, but I haven't taken it over 65 yet.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:20 pm

Fitted two Toyos to the front this week, and even before they had scrubbed in the difference was very clear - back to normal. Amazing that a compound change can make such a difference to what is really a pretty basic little car.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Gavin207 wrote:Got round to checking the tyres fitted to my car - Uniroyals, 195/50 on the front and 205/50 on the rear. I haven't seen these mentioned anywhere - does anyone have any thoughts on their fitment to a TF? Car handles ok, but I haven't taken it over 65 yet.
They are owned by Continental, I had Uniroyal Rainsports on my Saab 9-3 and they were great on that car, but they are heavy fwd cars, so...
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

ppo
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by ppo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Any TF 16’’ recommendations on road legal semi-slick tyres. Driving the car only in sunny weather coditions.

michaelcngm
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Post by michaelcngm » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:59 pm

I'm thinking about going that way, as the Avon ZZ3s I've had on the front for some time are getting on a bit in calendar time, and in any case are unavailable now. Shame, as they've been very good. I had them on the back as well, but had to get the recommended Falkens which I believe are also now no longer available. I see in FasTForward that Rob has gone for Yokohama AD08s in 205/45 R16 (because he reckons Toyo R888R are too expensive) but I wonder if Toyo R1Rs would be another possibility. They seem to be available for a bit less than the Yokos and have more track-looking tread pattern. Like you I try to avoid going out in the rain as I personally get wet - the hood belongs to my 1996 F which has TF suspension.

michaelcngm
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Post by michaelcngm » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:48 am

I'm still thinking, now it's about Nankang NS2R which are also only available as 205/45 16 - has anyone had experience of track day/road tyres in this size?

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 pm

michaelcngm wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:59 pm
I'm thinking about going that way, as the Avon ZZ3s I've had on the front for some time are getting on a bit in calendar time, and in any case are unavailable now...…..
The ZZ3 has been replaced with ZZ5, we have them on my wifes ZR and they seem to work well.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com