TF Tyres

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: TF Tyres

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:32 pm

I actually doubt this is a new problem as I had this exact scenario years ago on my F. I had 17's all round then, this was around 2007 I replaced the rears 215/40x17 and later that day on return from a local pub meet the car was all over the road at around 50mph. I even stopped and checked the rear wheel nuts, it really was that bad. They were fine of course. I pulled and tugged everything around, all felt fine so I went to our local British Legends where Steve confirmed everything was good.

I decided to change the fronts, not really worn but more to check compatibility with new rears, and the car was then perfect, just as before. Very strange as I've been through at least another three sets of Toyo's since I've had the TF in 2008 replacing the rears only when needed with no problems at all.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Fraser » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:13 pm

One begins to see why the Mazda MX5 has such a large following !! The average owner shouldn't really have to put up with things like this, frankly.

allen-c
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF S/Storm

Post by allen-c » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:47 pm

Re tf tyres, all the warnings (that I am aware of) refer to problems when fitting the later Toyo's to the rear wheels. as my pre. sept.2014 rear Toyo's have only covered approx. 600 miles I am likely to need new tyres on the front before the rears wear out, is there going to be a problem when fitting the latest spec. tyres to the front when running with the previous (pre. sept. 2014) on the rear?. :?

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:55 pm

Fraser wrote:One begins to see why the Mazda MX5 has such a large following !! The average owner shouldn't really have to put up with things like this, frankly.
the mx5 is a low grip car, it was made that way to have low speed fun, mine was shocking in the wet whatever tyres were on, I wont be having another.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Tue May 05, 2015 11:39 pm

Just a report to say I had the car serviced last week and the mechanic said my tyres were looking a bit on the limit, although they're not on the legal limit yet. Car is now on 23.5k miles.

Since I last reported on this thread, I have basically just got used to the tram-lining I reported previously; I know its there, and I know the car is not actually going to jump into the ditch !!
As regards going round bends the car feels completely stable and the missus complains her head is going to fall off ! So I am going around as fast as I certainly dare whilst keeping her comfortable at the same time. The youngsters on here are no doubt a bit more adventurous !

I am tending to think that fitting a set of Falkens all round is the best solution when the time comes, but there was no comeback on a post some time back by Adrian Clifford concerning a Pirelli fitment to a friend's TF. I'd be interested in how it worked out, in fact interested on what experience has been with the different makes other than the recommendations. Like AC, I have slightly lowered pressures to make it a bit more comfortable, and have noticed nothing untoward. I have also noticed that the car smooths out a lot as the tyres warm up.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed May 06, 2015 7:39 pm

Nothing too much to report on the Pirelli's due to the owner having had a knee operation but the car will be here in Essex next week for MGFIM so we can ask her then.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Wed May 06, 2015 10:28 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Nothing too much to report on the Pirelli's due to the owner having had a knee operation but the car will be here in Essex next week for MGFIM so we can ask her then.
Many thanks, Adrian

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:40 pm

I shall be taking a slightly different approach... Seeing as Falken no longer do a ZE912 in a 195/45/16 size (according to Falken's own website, nor listed on Camskill), I'm considering going 205/40/16 all round... I did want to use the sportier (and more appropriate) FK452 / 453 but they start at 17" only :(

Alternatively, I shall be taking the (more costly) option of kitting out the Pirelli P-Zeros have have performed admirably on Joannes TF135 (16")
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Nigel, my 912's on the TF are on their way out now, after three summers, which equals to almost 20,000 miles. Well, at least the rears, the fronts might do for another season. But I have been told the 914's are even better, and they are available in the required sizes. So I guess I will go with that option next year.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:10 pm

I'm going wih 914's when the first axle full of Toyo's wear out. I'll sell the remaining two Toyo's then.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Today I fitted a pair of Falken 914s to the front wheels. Early this year I put Falkens on the rear, and there was considerable improvement, but eventually the car started to get wayword again on bumpy roads and tramlined badly. This has now virtually gone, with just very slight tramlining still there but totally manageable.

The old fronts were worn on the inside, yet I had the car tracked early this year on a very sophisticated rig and all was in order. So is this uneven front tyre wear a characteristic of the car ? BTW the old Goodyear tyres were dated 2008, the car being built in late 2009. Mileage today at replacement is circa 26k

Camarillo Brillo
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF Abingdon 1.8 MPI

Post by Camarillo Brillo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:20 am

Fraser wrote:I am tending to think that fitting a set of Falkens all round is the best solution when the time comes.
That's exactly what I have done recently.

Highly recommended

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Changed my final set of GSD2's ( :o ) in January for a set of 914's; no complaints so far.
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Lewiscypher

Post by Lewiscypher » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:24 am

Hi

Ive been fallowing the Toyo tyre saga, as Im coming up to replacement of my GSD2s ( sadly last of the batch and my preferred choice))

I use the car for sprints and hillclimbs, the tyres will be pushed to the limit ( and Ill have them shaved don to 3.5/ 4mm), so theres a potential for a big mistake here , in terms of cost safety and competetiveness.

normally I would go for toyos as a proven motorsport tyre. I assume from my reading these will by now all be the new malaysian compound.

If used all round are have these been found to be ok, is the problem just when you mix them with old compound?

has anyone used the new compound on track?

The Falken is now the 914, I did see a later MG update listing this

has anyone used the falken 914 on track, how does it compare to toyo and the GSD2?

Any help would be appreciated
rgds

lewis

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 pm

Lewis - I can only comment from around 8 years ago when I changed my beloved Bridgestone RE720's on my then F to Toyos and was not happy with the difference in sidewall give nor the graining on track use. Fast forward to the GSD2's on my previous and current TF, and I had an extremely capable tyre for both road use and track use. I've not used the 914's referenced above on track yet, but in my experience there has not been anything to choose between the 914's and the GSD2's for road use. Wear rate seems comparable, but I can only base this on road use to date. Personally, I never liked nor got on with the Toyos (prepares to be flamed ;) ), but the car went before I could put my mind to changing them!
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

bigmac
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by bigmac » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:57 pm

has anyone used nexen fera SU 1 ' s ?

i had 2 fitted to the front of my TF a few weeks ago--waiting for rears to come into stock.

Lewiscypher

Post by Lewiscypher » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Mike H thanks for the feed back.

Yes if only the gSD2s were available. I hae some old ones with tread but over ten years old and hard as a rock

the current gsd2s are going off I think with too many heat cycles so think I need fresh rubber

I think Ill gamble on the 914s the feedback seems good on them( ive not seen any bad so far) although a little pricier than Toyos at demon tweaks ( they can do the shaving as well)

I have a practice session next week so hoping to pick them up the day before

Will feedback how I get on

TTFN

Lewis

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:33 am

Look forward to that Lewis. What championship are you running in? :)

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:08 am

Im going to through in a curveball here.....

Yokohama AS-01's ..... Directional, good compound, available in the correct sizes (including XL at the back) and decent pricing....
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Will be interesting to hear how you get on with those Nigel :)