TF Tyres

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Lewiscypher
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: TF Tyres

Post by Lewiscypher » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:37 pm

Curborough Sprint CHampionship.

not so good at first event, cant quite get my old times although Ive had a year off so bit rusty

but im convinced the tyres are a limiting factor, just cant get the grip

(I know no 27 in the racing driver's book of excuses)

so we shall see

rds

lLewis

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Hopefully see you at an event soon! The Shed is competed in the same championship. Unfortunately, I am still awaiting delivery of my HANS compatible harness and helmet, so annoyingly, this season is going to be starting very late (if at all? :?) this year.

I guess that gives me a bit more time to do some more work on the car! :lol:

Lewiscypher

Post by Lewiscypher » Tue May 03, 2016 9:02 am

Damn Hans devices, the club protested strongly about the way that was brought in. The additional cost is putting a lot of people off.

Picking the tyres up tommorrow from demon tweeks, shaved to 4mm.

for thos who might think IM mad to take tread of brand new tyres Ididnt get it done last time and it was a mistake, got very uneven tyre wear lots of feathering and a shorter lifespan overall. im convinced theyre now holding me back.

Fingers crossed the falkens are better.

To justify one set of tyres to the "Director of Domestic Affairs"is one thing, to justify another set..........

Lewiscypher

Post by Lewiscypher » Wed May 04, 2016 10:10 pm

Well, picked them up today, Excellent service from Demon Tweeks,

( obscure fact for the day- the chap that shaved and fitted them on the wheels, prepared the tyres for one of the bond movies,the one with the green Jaguar vs the aston martin on the ice )

Anyway,

took them for a pootle this evening to bed them in a little before the practice session tommorrow.

At normal road speeds they feel very good, hard to tell ,but the compound certainly feels stickier the ones I took off. I was concerned that they didnt have the V shaped pattern of the F1s and whether that would be significant, but they feel fine.

So far so good, tomorrow will be the real test.

Johnny
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Johnny » Sun May 15, 2016 9:33 am

Hi, I have a 2011 TF. When I bought the car late last year with only 15,000 miled it was fitted with original GSd2's on the front and on one of the rears. The other rear had been replaced with some cheap make. The car tracked badly. Have replaced the rears with Falken 914s (Ecorun extra load) hoping this would sort it out but it's still bad. Has anyone else tried this combination? I've had it 4 wheel alignment checked. Thanks John

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Sun May 15, 2016 11:01 am

Hi Johnny
You have probably realised from the size of this thread (and there are others on this forum) that TF tyres are a bit of a problem!
MG Motor issued a strongly worded Technical Bulletin in 2014 which I have added below to save you looking for it in this thread.
MG Motor Tyre Bulletin June 2014.pdf
(73.78 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Make sure you have the correct Falkens as specified in the bulletin. It also gives on page 2 the set up data for the suspension, which is adjustable for toe in/toe out at the rear as well as the front. I suspect you have an amount of toe out at the rear as this makes a car very nervous and is used on race and rally cars to make them change direction quickly.
I assume you have the 16 in wheels?

Pete

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sun May 15, 2016 7:52 pm

Thanks Pete.

Yes I have the 16 in wheels (twist of peppar).

I have seen the MG Motor bulletin before.

My longstanding local MG dealer got the 4 wheel tracking done so I would hope that was done correctly.

I note MG don't specify extra load for the rear 914s (unlike for the 912s). I have fitted extra load 914s to the rear (don't know actually if all falken 914s are extra load).

I'd welcome any more thoughts or views.

Thanks

John

Steffi
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: TF 135 2005 BRG

Post by Steffi » Mon May 16, 2016 7:09 am

I have no experience with this combination but I had Toyos fitted on the back and the original GSD2 on the front and that worked well on mt TF.
Steffi

MG TF 135 MY 2005, BRG and black leather with seat heating, glas rear window Eibach-springs, 4-pot brake

http://mgf-mgtf-stammtisch-koeln.jimdo.com

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Mon May 16, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks Steffi. It really feels like a front end issue with my car. No problems on totally flat roads and pretty good on cornering but get the wrong kind of roads and the tramlining occurs with steering tightening up etc.

I can't help thinking that if someone somewhere could offer a wheel/tyre combination try it out service for £50 or so they could do quite well.

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Mon May 16, 2016 11:41 am

As I understand it, that is what MG Motor did to arrive at the recommendations in the Technical Bulletin. They didn't just try a couple of types of tyre from Falken and a Toyo.
Interestingly, my MG6 tramlines badly when the tyres are close to needing replacement, and sometimes can get stuck on the white line in the centre of the road, or the overlap join in the surface after the tarring and chipping season.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Tue May 17, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks guys. There is plenty of tread on my front GSD2s.

Still would be interested to know if anyone else has tried this combination.

Davemul
Model of Car: MGTF 115 2005 MY

Post by Davemul » Fri May 20, 2016 7:29 am

When the 16" rear Goodyears wore out recently on my MY2005 TF I replaced them with Falken 914s. Laser alignment had been done before that and all was fine with 4 Goodyears. With 2 new Falkens the car was all over the place. I would even say dangerous. I then replaced the 2 half worn front Goodyears with Falkens and everything was fine.
TF MY2005, Bilsteins, APs, Scorpion Dual, ZandF remap, Xpower Hoops, Lee121 Stripes, Trophy Spoiler, Cupra Splitter

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Fri May 20, 2016 8:57 am

The MG Motor Technical Bulletin above warns against mixing different makes of tyres front and rear. Also make sure you run the correct tyre pressures as per the handbook.
I case anyone reading this has 15in wheels and is wondering if this applies to them, cars on 15in wheels seem to be much more tolerant of different makes of tyres front and rear, but they are very susceptible to needing the correct tyre pressures. Even a couple of lbs out makes a huge difference to the way the car feels.

SteveRat
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 1.8i

Post by SteveRat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:16 pm

HI,

I need to replace the 14 year old GS-D2s on front of my MFG are the Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun still the forum recommendation?

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... p=R-228038

Regards
Steve

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:45 am

Yes they are. Across the UK and Europe I have never heard one complaint about them.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Just a quick update from my previous posts. I've now replaced the GSD2s on the front of my 2011 registered TF with the Falken 914s and the handling is much improved. I now have 2 spare front GSD2s and one rear GSD2 alk with only 15k miles to dispose of.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:18 pm

Johnny, a regional member of mine has taken the GSD2's off his 85th anniversary at 13K miles. Nobody is interested in them, maybe because they are already 7 years old and better tyres are around.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:30 pm

Ah ok. Thanks Adrian. Hopefully my experience has added something to the vast pool of understanding of what does or doesn't go with what.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:57 am

True, some combinations work, some do not. Another regional member replaced his rear GSD2's with GSD3's, nobody knew about the service bulletin at the time. I've ridden in the car and it handles fine, I Didn't know what type of tyre he had, although I'm not a fan of the Goodyears. It's a 2010 TF by the way so should have handled terribly.

In 2005 I was in Holland and a local asked me why his car handled dreadfully, he said it was like driving on a bowl of jelly above 50 mph, he had just had a set of rear GSD3's fitted as the 2's were not available.

Some cars appear not to be affected, some do, I find it rather strange.

DanieleT
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by DanieleT » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Michelin Pilot sport 3

I can grab a full set of 4 all round at the correct sizes...any reasons why not?
Last edited by DanieleT on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.