TF Tyres

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Sam90
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF135 (Built 05/09)

Re: TF Tyres

Post by Sam90 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Having only recenty been congratulating myself on nearing 30k on the original set of (Good Year) tyres, I found myself out and about on a dark and wet night with a rear offside flat last week. Now running on the spare I had to remind my MG Garage of the MG Technical bulletin (which to be fair they then found and gave me a copy). With nearly 4mm on the front the proposal is to replace just the rears (both of which were reaching the legal limit anyway) with Toyo Proxes T1-R 215/40 R16 88W as per the bulletin.

I now read that there is some advise that says I sould replace the fronts as well - I dont drive like a 'mad' thing and the bulletin does not seem to specify replacing all 4?

Any views (facing quite a hefty bill on the 30k service anyway so any advice would be appreciated...).

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi Sam90 ~ hope you are keeping well!

I've run both a TF and an F with Good Years on the front and Toyo's on the rear without any problems.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

MGTF_avengers
MGF Register Region: North East
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by MGTF_avengers » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:15 pm

My TF has Goodyear GSD2 tyres fitted, however, the drivers side rear has been losing pressure, so much so that I have to keep blowing air in every one or two days.
Took it to a local garage today, where they removed it, and put it in a big bucket of water to test for leaks, but couldn't find a thing wrong with it.
I mentioned the valve but they said it was alright.
Anyway, they said they'd clean it up, and put a new valve in.
Time will tell if it's £18 well spent!
Better to ask a silly question than to be a fool who remains in the dark....

Sam90
Model of Car: TF135 (Built 05/09)

Post by Sam90 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks Nigel that's very helpful information - hope you all had a good Christmas and best wishes for the New Year

Flightline
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Post by Flightline » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:43 am

Right to sum up then...

Why can you not fit GSD3 to MGF/TF?

Can we have some official documentation posted here or details of where to find it please?

Also I suggest that if it were dangerous to fit this tyre to the MGF/TF the garages would be issued a notice not to fit them under any circumstances. They would be culpable in the event of an incident if they incorrectly fitted these tyres. There would also be a notice sent out to the owners via DVLA, in the same way as a recall notice is and finally, the old bill would have a field day! What an easy collar stopping every MGF/TF of the road to check for illegal fitment.

The main suggestion of a tyre wall failing and also the occasional blow out being the reason for not fitting them is utter poppycock.

How many tyre carcasses do you see on the roads? (And I DO NOT mean HGV tyres) If these were inspected, there would be tyres from all manufacturers not just Goodyear.

The most common cause of a sidewall giving way is the tyre being driven on the rims without the driver realising this. This scores the inner wall and weakens it.

If you were to purchase a car unaware that it had been driven in this condition; if the wall has been damaged to such an extent that it is rendered weak along with being driven hard and as a result it had failed, it is not the fault of the tyre, its the driver/owner. I wonder if is this is the main reason why the GSD3 is getting a slating, where in reality, it has been driven flat at some stage and then failed as a result some time later, mainly without that current drivers knowledge.

With the ultra low profile, 215/40/16 to the uninitiated, a fully inflated tyre can look flat and likewise, a flat tyre can look inflated, in certain circumstances.

By the way, Have MG done extensive testing here on all other manufacturers, Dunlop, Firestone, Avon, Nexen, Fulda, Infinity, courrier etc.etc. and given all these brands a clean bill of health? I suggest not.

I have GSD3's fitted to my Audi A4 and it has transformed the vehicle entirely. It is sharper handling, quieter, smoother and most of all, the wet weather capabilities are outstanding!

Unless there is documentation to support the claims that these are not to be fitted under any circumstance, I think I know what I will be fitting next...

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 am

Take a look at the following article on the MG Cars website:

http://www.mg.co.uk/news-events/latest- ... _REC_TYRES
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org

Bandit
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Post by Bandit » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:17 am

Flightline wrote: Why can you not fit GSD3 to MGF/TF?
It's more a matter of whether you're mixing new GSD3 with part worn GSD2 - that's when the really nasty behaviour appears. If replacing all 4 at the same time, as Rob confirms the GSD3 has proven itself to be a good tyre and provided the geometry is within spec they'll perform in the way you'd expect. Perhaps the MGR bulletin was a simplified version of the situation, but I was one of the unfortunate pre-Bulletin 'guinea pigs' that had GSD3 fitted to the rear while half-worn GSD2 were on the front. Having the rear of the car squirming around because you've got on the gas a little too early coming out of a turn is acceptable on a racetrack when you're concentrating and ready for it, but having it squirm around when you're ambling down the motorway is extremely unwelcome - constant steering corrections required, and a distinct sensation that the rear axle is hell bent on putting you sideways under a truck. I don't give up easily, but 30 miles of that was enough and I completed the rest of the journey in the cab of an RAC truck. When a technician from the supplying dealer took the car for a test drive on a short motorway section, his exact words when he reappeared were "That's not safe!" Once a pair of GSD2s were located & fitted to the rear, the car was back to normal impeccable behaviour.

So, fit a full set of GSD3s and you'll probably find them as good on the MGF as on your Audi. I've seen Rob swap ends on GSD3s, but that apparently was because his pit crew had neglected to warm the tyres for him :D

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:32 am

Flightline wrote:Right to sum up then...

Why can you not fit GSD3 to MGF/TF?

Can we have some official documentation posted here or details of where to find it please?

Also I suggest that if it were dangerous to fit this tyre to the MGF/TF the garages would be issued a notice not to fit them under any circumstances. They would be culpable in the event of an incident if they incorrectly fitted these tyres. There would also be a notice sent out to the owners via DVLA, in the same way as a recall notice is and finally, the old bill would have a field day! What an easy collar stopping every MGF/TF of the road to check for illegal fitment.

The main suggestion of a tyre wall failing and also the occasional blow out being the reason for not fitting them is utter poppycock.

How many tyre carcasses do you see on the roads? (And I DO NOT mean HGV tyres) If these were inspected, there would be tyres from all manufacturers not just Goodyear.

The most common cause of a sidewall giving way is the tyre being driven on the rims without the driver realising this. This scores the inner wall and weakens it.

The bulletin was issued to all MGR dealers and many tyre fitters in July 2004, if you are member of MG-Rover.org a copy can be seen here http://forums.mg-rover.org/attachment.p ... 1145552975

GSD3's were found lead to the TF being very unstable when used in conjunction with GSD2's although some have found that fitting GSD3's on all wheels negates the problem.

As for the side walls failing I've seen quite a few examples of rear side wall failure's on both GSD3's and GSD2's (and other manufactures for that), including one on the run into MG Fest 08 - that was a brind new tyre on an MGF.

Canalsman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 2004 TF 160 LMG

Post by Canalsman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Bulletin attached ...
Attachments
MGTF MG Tech release.jpg

3 DUCKS
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: duck

Post by 3 DUCKS » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:34 pm

^^^^ Thats quite handy to know,
TF 160

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:45 pm

There was a further update in 2011 from MG Motors on recommended tyres, which can be found here: http://mg.co.uk/news/2011/03/25/mgtf-recommended-tyres/
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org

Crankyhorse
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Post by Crankyhorse » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Oh blimey. My F has new tyres on it but I don't even recognise any name on them.

The car does feel a bit like its driving on a slippery roads somewhat but I had put that down to the light steering you get at speed. I'm going to have to drive carefully until I can save up £350 for some nice Toyos.

Ok. Had a closer look

Fronts are called Infinity and the rears are Accelera.

Googling would suggest they are budget crap and my car will handle a lot better on proper tyres.
They are brand new and so the previous owner must be trying to kill me :rant:

Still going to have to save up, it's bloody annoying to know I can't enjoy the car properly until I get new tyres.

Clarky
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: '95 MGF in BRG

Post by Clarky » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Been watching this thread for last few days as one of my rears is losing pressure over 48 hours so gonna replace the pair.

Currently its running on 4 Continentals, but struggling to find GSD2's so looking at the Toyo n Falken brands but cant seem to find supply n fit company near me online :oops:

Are they making us work hard to find, them or am I thick as the proverbial????? :? :?
I went to buy a van for fishing and ended up with an MGF :0/

Uncletone
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 (1999)

Post by Uncletone » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:29 am

Hi Clarky,
Have you tried "My Tyres" they deliver to agents all over for fitting. Can't fault their service.

For what it's worth I drive approx 50k miles pa and I've driven on all sorts of tyres, the ones that stand out for me have been the;

1) Goodyear Efficency Grip. Currently on my 61 Plate Mondeo Mk4. I could wax lyrical over these all day long. They are without doubt, for me, on a family saloon, the best tyre I have driven on. The confidence in the wet is unbelievable, I drove thro' downpours on the german Autobahn this year hovering around 100 mph and the composure and feel was first rate. it might as well have been bone dry. We arrived in Austria to the first fall of snow, did it matter, not in the slightest, provided you took it steady. In the dry they stick like glue, no falling over on the sidewall when pushed, the feel thro' the steering is great, you always know what they are doing, tremendous tyre. But the things that stand out for me are how quiet and comfortable they are. The fronts did 24k miles before being replaced and the rears are still going strong at 38k. But will be replaced shortly. These will be going on my TF next instead of the GSD2's.
2) Falken ZE 912. We have these on our own car. A 4 Wheel Drive Subaru 3.0ltr Legacy (265bhp). The Subaru's are particular about steering geometry, a bit like the MGF/TF's. If it's out at all they will destroy tyres. These are holding their own. In the wet they are good, dry they are excellent, in the snow they are phenominal. Mind you a Subaru would get thro snow on slicks I'm sure. They are a little hard and noisy. Wear rate is good, been on the Scooby now for 14k miles, if I can get to 18-20k I will be pleased. Reasonbly priced mid range tyre I would use them again. I think they might cope with any geometry issues better than the Goodyears. We shall find out.
3) Toyo's T1-R's. These were on the Scooby before the Falkens. Good all round tyre, not great just good. Wear rate on the Scooby was not good. Demolished them in 14k miles. Before you throw your arms up in the air in amazement,it is 4 wheel drive don't forget. I don't think they are a bad tyre they just didn't do anything for me. They were as noisy as the Falkens but when pushed you couldn't feel when they reached the limit, they would fall over all of a sudden. In a rear wheel drive I bet they would let go very quickly.
4) Hankook Ventus Prime 2, now here is a tyre you shouldn't dismiss. We have these on a Ford Fiesta (60 plate) What a great tyre it holds the road extremely well come rain or shine. You know exactly what they are doing, a little harsh on the ride, but relatively quiet. Not a great looker, but I tell you what, you won't be disappointed. 22k miles on the front might get to 26k/28k miles. Rear will easily do 30k. If you think that they should do a little more, they probably would, but it goes to show how we love driving on them. Tremendous on the motorways, they inspire confidence. For me they have been a surprise. I have had the Hankook S1 Evos fitted to a company car and they were filled with concrete I'm sure, but these are infinitley better.They are a cheaper option than the Goodyears. If I couldn't get the Goodyears they will be going on the TF.

Tone
Tone
MGCC & MGF Member

It Only Breaks When I Mend It
Built By Martin Smith (MGTF Spares Somerset)

NigelS
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF

Post by NigelS » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Clarky wrote:Been watching this thread for last few days as one of my rears is losing pressure over 48 hours so gonna replace the pair.

Currently its running on 4 Continentals, but struggling to find GSD2's so looking at the Toyo n Falken brands but cant seem to find supply n fit company near me online :oops:

Are they making us work hard to find, them or am I thick as the proverbial????? :? :?
In addition to the suggestion to My Tyres, also have a look at Black Circles (http://www.blackcircles.com/). I have found them to be very reliable and quick with no problems accessing stock.

I have run my TF on Toyo Proxies T1-R's now for 7 plus years, had a new set fitted about a year ago after having got 22,000+ miles out of the previous set. Bear in mind with the other comments of tyre brands on other car marques, that the F & TF are real wheel drive and very sensitive to tyre type, pressure, brand etc. Because it works on a front wheel drive or 4-wheel drive car does not necessarily make it a good choice on an F. On my TF, the handling was transformed when I changed from the supplied Continentals which were, IMHO, horrible as soon as the road was wet. The Toyos are great in the dry and very good in the wet as well. I have never forayed into the Goodyear GSD-2's so can't comment on these. Those that have them swear by them, but they are hard to find and the Toyo does a good job - I also run my car on track and really push it, Toyos stand up and perform really well even on a wet and slippery track.

If you can, change all 4 for tyres of the same brand and stick to what MG Motor have advised for the TF as per one of the earlier posts, you won't go far wrong. Also, get the wheel alignment set properly, by a reputable garage that know what they are doing, don't bother with the likes of Kwik Fit or similar. Wheel alignment is critical, if this is out, handling suffers.
MGTF 135, Trophy Blue, K&N 57i, X-Power Exhaust, Janspeed Sports Cat, EBC Greenstuff discs & pads, Goodridge hoses, X-Power Springs, Polybushed A.R.B's, ZandF Tuning Phase 1 remap

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:32 pm

I am a bit puzzled about the tyre choice for the TF 8-)

From all the input here and on the mgboard.de forum, I have found two brands that I would like to give a try on the TF, but with both of them the speed and load indexes are different from front to rear, and I am not sure if this affects the handling.

Item 1 on the list would be the praised Toyo Proxes T1-R. The combination offered to me is:
front: 195/45R16 80V (without the "XL" mark)
rear: 215/40R16 86W (with the "XL" mark)
They come with a rim protector, wich can prove quite handy, as the TF will be used by Susanne as well [ducks-and-covers :lol: ]. Also they seem to be quite quiet.
The odd thing is, they are only rated "E" for wet roadholding on the new tyre lables.

The alternative are the Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31 XL (the "XL" applies to both sizes here)
front: 195/45R16 84V
rear: 215/40R16 86W
These seem not to have a rim protector but come with a "B" for driving in the wet. But they are a bit louder.

Pricewise there is hardly any difference, both sets come at roughly 340 Euros (~ £280) delivered, balanced and fitted for all four corners, so money is not the point.

So, which way to go, and are there any issues with the different indexes? Btw, the TF is not lowered and I have no plans do do so, SWMBO wants to keep her at the original height.

Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

colintf
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:49 pm

For what little its worth (as I still have Goodyears on my TF) I would go with the Toyo's Mykel 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:59 pm

That was my first choice as well, Colin. I am just a bit worried about the long run-in mileage that I have heard of. People tolt me it takes up to 600 miles until they are really useable.

So, another idea, what about Falken ZIEX ZE-912? They are recommended by MG Motor UK for the LE500, come with the same load and speed indexes as the Kumhos and have rim protectors.

Anybody here tried those on a TF?
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

ylee coyote
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Post by ylee coyote » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:13 pm

I have a full set on my TF
Only got a few hundred miles on them but they have "run in " and are gripping nicely
Handling is direct and the ride seem composed
Altho its difficult to really compare as I have changed the shocks as well

So far so good

got the set for around 220 from mytyres (16" wheels) so good value

colintf
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Mykel wrote:That was my first choice as well, Colin. I am just a bit worried about the long run-in mileage that I have heard of. People tolt me it takes up to 600 miles until they are really useable.

So, another idea, what about Falken ZIEX ZE-912? They are recommended by MG Motor UK for the LE500, come with the same load and speed indexes as the Kumhos and have rim protectors.

Anybody here tried those on a TF?
They must of recommended them for a good reason Mykel
8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/