TF Tyres

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: TF Tyres

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:27 pm

True Mykel, Toyo's take a little running in, I don't think as much as 600 miles though. I feel they need a little warming up each day too as they feel lazy when cold but other than that, you know I'm a big fan.

On the work car...2008 Renault Scenic that covers 1,000 miles per week I fitted new Kumho Ecsta's 205/55x16 as my local independant tyre fitter recommends them, he rates them highly and I'll admit they're fine, nice and quiet too but the wear rate is amazing considering I often carry a full load plus wheelchairs and full tank of fuel. Fitted in February at 20,000 miles the car is now on 62,000 miles with plenty of wear left, that's hard to beat.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

paul_mgb
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by paul_mgb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello everyone - whats the reccomendation for us on 15" wheels. Its got the original equipment Conti's on it at present. The car has done 36000 and I think the fronts are the originals and are nearly worn out, whilst the back have been replaced with the OE and are fine. The handling seems fine to me and its done pretty well in the snow.
I'm minded to go for the OE on the front. Does anyone have an opinion.
What does service bullitin TB0128 say ?
Cheers
Paul

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

General consensus seems to be Toyo Proxes T1R. I have them on 15" rims.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:51 pm

I'm happy to stick withToyo's as long as they are available. Talking to my local independant tyre guy this week, he tells me that Nexen have raised their game recently, a good tyre at a good price, they also do non-directional tyres in 16" too.

He's been a fan of Kumho's for some years, Dawn and I have them on our work cars and they're good but they keep raising their prices so I think I'll try Nexen soon as my Kumho Ecsta's have been on for 9 months and over 34,000 miles.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

orbx
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by orbx » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:48 pm

Drove with my used car tyres Eagle FF1 until no more tread, even safely......
First, replaced front ones with MARANGONI Zeta linea (ITALY),
then rear ones......... at around 70€ ___from Delticom, 123pneus, etc______________ cheers ________ TF160@sfr.fr ________________

orange rover
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by orange rover » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:32 am

Hi every one! First post.
Just bought mgf 2001 1.8 vvc.I'm going to replace tyres for mot. currently has 215/40r16 and 205/45r16 on,i've done a search on the forum about tyre sizes (a good read :) ). But what do you peeps think is the best combination.
1- leave the sizes as is.
2- go back to standard 215 all round.
3 or other options that you have tried n tested.
cheers for any advice.
Martin.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:07 am

Martin, ideally 195/45x16 front and 215/40x16 rear, this gives better lead in and reduces the tramlining effect. Many vvc's were fitted with 215/40x16 all round, nothing wrong with that, it's your choice.

Of course that leaves you with different size tyres but it's something we all learn to live with as it's not really a problem. Keep your spare as a 195 tyre.

Be warned, because of the nature of the construction and handling please choose your tyres carefully, they do not like many mix combinations or the cheap budget tyres they will have you off the road if you're not very careful and lightfooted,

orange rover
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by orange rover » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:35 pm

going to go back to standard (215) for the time being, keep the insurance happy & let me get used to the motor then start playing with mod's!

MGFMania
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by MGFMania » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Having fitted 280mm discs all round have reverted to 15" VVC wheels; new Toyo T1R's 185/55 F, 205/50 R - simply couldn't find new GSD2's

Also fitted lowering knuckles and polybushed rear trailing arms, re-gassed to 345mm, rides as new!

Grip is fine but steering is vague in a straight line, at speed.

Had 4 wheel alignment; planning on fitting Seat Leon or Trophy splitter - any suggestions?

TIA

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:36 pm

What car is it Tia ?, F or TF.

If it's a TF leave the front as it is, it handles perfectly well (providing the mechanicals are as they should be, yours sounds like it is). If anything, try changing tyre pressures, 28F/36R is a good start, our TF loves that even fully loaded at European motorway speeds and mountain passes.

If it's an F then there are front lift beliefs, therefore the Trophy splitter but look at the KH (Krafthaus) spoiler, there's a picture of my F on the thread called Pandora with the KH spoiler fitted, it changed the front handling dramatically and I never had any more concerns.

As far as I'm aware the Cupra lip spoiler fits only TF's not F's and I don't think it would look right on an F anyway.

Webby
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by Webby » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:46 am

Interesting thread and i have just fitted Toyos to my TF160. However I am a little confused as to what the tyre pressures should be. On Rob Bell's website it states 26F/28R, the instruction book states 26F/36R and Adrian above states 28F/36R. I know that TFs are sensitive to pressures and I am having a slight issue on turning into LH bends - feels like oversteer which becomes understeer :o. I am running 26F/36R, with the suspension set at 12 clicks front and 17 rear (Mike Satur kit).

Any ideas?

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:06 am

Webby wrote:Interesting thread and i have just fitted Toyos to my TF160. However I am a little confused as to what the tyre pressures should be. On Rob Bell's website it states 26F/28R, the instruction book states 26F/36R and Adrian above states 28F/36R. I know that TFs are sensitive to pressures and I am having a slight issue on turning into LH bends - feels like oversteer which becomes understeer :o. I am running 26F/36R, with the suspension set at 12 clicks front and 17 rear (Mike Satur kit).

Any ideas?
Use what the handbook says :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 am

As Colin says, go with the handbook, the change in shocks should not affect the tyre pressures but don't be afraid to experiment slightly and see what you are happiest with. I alter the rears to suit the load and expected speeds ie slightly higher when in Europe hence 36 on the rear. But back in the UK I'm happy with 26 front so I suggest you go with that.

speakmanrp
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anniv

Post by speakmanrp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:39 am

I have just bought a pair of the recommended Toyo Proxes T1-R 195/45 R16 80V on the front wheels on my 2004 TF- wow what a difference!

My front Goodyear GSD2 tyres were well worn and the car was bad over bumps and on worn roads with ruts. The Toyo tyres have made the car very stable even on worn roads, can't recommend them more.

crussell
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Post by crussell » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:49 pm

On a tf, is 215s all round ok so long as good brand of tyre?
Got my eyes on a set on the bay...;)
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:01 am

It's not the brand of tyre that is critical on the F/TF, rather the block pattern (as is the case for all mid engined cars). This results on only a couple of official recommendations from MG (now that the GSD2's are unavailable):

Either

Front Falken Ziex ZE912 195/45 R16 84V I0123 Extra Load, from Thailand
Rear Falken Ziex ZE912 215/40 R16 86W I0123 Extra Load, from Thailand

Front Toyo Proxes T1-R 195/45 R16 80V PXT1-R-2 ANH3608 from Japan
Rear Toyo Proxes T1-R 215/40 R16 86WPXT1-R-3 ANH3608 from Japan

Full details here
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

crussell

Post by crussell » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 pm

On that basis someone on ebay has just lot a sale!:p

Thanks for the confirmation, still searching for cheapest/best combo....

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:40 am

When I was looking for Toyos a few months back EARS Motorsport were the cheapest then, they also sell on ebay.
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

crussell

Post by crussell » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Yep, been looking at them too, an hours drive away but worth it at those prices!

allen-c
Model of Car: MGTF S/Storm

Post by allen-c » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:56 pm

crussell wrote:Yep, been looking at them too, an hours drive away but worth it at those prices!
Don't forget to add £10 (per corner) for fitting!.