TF Tyres

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
sinker
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Re: TF Tyres

Post by sinker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:11 pm

I got a set of TOY T1-Rs from http://www.etyres.co.uk. They came to my house and fitted a set for £240. The service was great and they came round the day after ordering. I would definately recomend them.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Welcome to the forum sinker, and thank you for the thumbs up for this supplier :)

crussell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Post by crussell » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:30 pm

If anyone's reading this and wanders about the merits of toyos let me reassure you...they make a difference!!

First of all thanks to jean and nick at Austin garages for changing the dampers and track rod ends on my car, its like driving a car now, and I didn't even go for an upgrade, just goes to show they are great handlers out of the factory!

The tyres have just finished off all the hard work brilliantly, car feels more solid, responsive and encourages you to push it a little further now knowing it will respond, just brilliant!!!
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:46 pm

crussell wrote:If anyone's reading this and wanders about the merits of toyos let me reassure you...they make a difference!!

First of all thanks to jean and nick at Austin garages for changing the dampers and track rod ends on my car, its like driving a car now, and I didn't even go for an upgrade, just goes to show they are great handlers out of the factory!

The tyres have just finished off all the hard work brilliantly, car feels more solid, responsive and encourages you to push it a little further now knowing it will respond, just brilliant!!!
No surprises there then :)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Tall_Bloke
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF Mk 2

Post by Tall_Bloke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Had a new set of Toyo T1 Rs 205/50/15 fitted to the back end this week at Halfords. Total cost £138, great deal and cheapest i could find anywhere.

Swampy
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1998 MGF VVC

Post by Swampy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi Guys, my F needs some new boots and looking at this thread the Toyo T1R tyres still seem to be the best choice? I have also seen Toyo R1R tyres at almost the same price. Is there any feedback on the R1R from other users? I expect they are a bit sportier, but I want to get rid of the worst of my cars 'interesting' handling traits, not make then worse. Any thoughts?
Green 1998 MGF VVC road/track car (Green machine)
Blue 1998 MGF VVC garden ornament (to be a track car - Smurfette)

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Check with Andrew Regens, you probably know him (he's in Melbourne) he's looking at R1R's now. I don't know anybody using them yet, maybe we're later in the UK with these tyres.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Fraser » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:37 pm

I have just bought a 2010 MG TF on 17k miles. The previous owner said he'd had an unrepairable puncture in one of the rear wheels, and had put a Continental on it. It's a 215/40 ZR 16 86W. This tyre is almost unworn, but is obviously not one of the recommended tyres, and the tread pattern is totally different to the Goodyears. I would rather not junk it, (it cost him £129 incl. fitting & VAT !). Would it be OK to fit another on the other wheel. All the other tyres are Goodyear GSD-2s as originally fitted. I have now driven about 300 miles and all seems well, although I do notice the car tends to tramline. Literally in fact as this afternoon I went along the Ashton New Road in Manchester, with its tramlines!

Like a lot of sports cars, it will be summer-only, as I have a very nice Jaguar saloon (all aluminium of 2003), and also have the wife's New Beetle available too.

Do I have to immediately fit two new tyres on the back ? Surely not !

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:40 am

Hi Fraser, this is always going to be the problem as the GSD2's are no longer available. Check the ratings are the same on both rear tyres, if not you can make your own choice but don't bin the good GSD2 as others may want to have it. Unfortunately you will not be able to use it for the front as they have a narrower tyre as you probably know.

Many tyre combinations do not work, partly due to different wall strengths etc but if your car feels comfortable don't be too concerned about having different tyres.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Thanks Adrian

The Continentals are 86W, the GYs are 82W, everything else the same, although drastically different tread patterns. I have to say, I find the ride very hard. I was told the TFs after 2005 had a softer suspension, so struggle to think what the ride was like pre-2005 !! Tyre pressures are 26 front, 36 rear. Can one reduce these slightly ? Reason I ask is because my Jaguar has two pressure settings, Standard and Comfort. Comfort is for speeds up to 100 mph, and eases the ride a bit.

Steffi
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: TF 135 2005 BRG

Post by Steffi » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:23 am

I would change to Toyos on the rear.
Drove that with GSD2´s in the front for almost a year and was happy with that.
Steffi

MG TF 135 MY 2005, BRG and black leather with seat heating, glas rear window Eibach-springs, 4-pot brake

http://mgf-mgtf-stammtisch-koeln.jimdo.com

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:11 am

Fraser, I find 36 too much at the rear although it's the recommendation. Unless we're on a long European Tour (higher speeds and a full load) I prefer 26/34.

Having driven F's with GSD2's I'm not a fan of these expensive tyres at all, I found the ride skittish on corners, do you have a spare, if so what is it, maybe you can use that or put the GSD2 as a spare and change both rears (or sell the rears of course).

crussell
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Post by crussell » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:03 am

Go toyos all round and sell the rest of the tyres on the ebay to recoup some cash. The toyos are available at a reasonable price and the originals I guess will sell cos there has to be lots of people in a similar position.

Admittedly I've had new dampers ll round, track rod ends onto my 2004 TF and put new toyos all round. When I took it to the Mg garage to have four wheel alignment done the technician said it was one of the best TFs he'd ever driven.

Ie certainly noticed the difference and glad I took the advice from this forum. It's just a shae that on a relatively new car those tyres aren't available anymore!!!
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

howstar
Model of Car: MG TF 135 SILVER

Post by howstar » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:17 pm

How come it does it have 185 /55/15 at front and 195 55/15 at the rear I just got a puncture at the rear and i have 195 winter tyers what are my best option for tyers

I got 3 tyres spare from rover 45 which are 185 /55/ 15 can I fit then
OWN MG 135 TF SILVER AND ZS DIESEL SOLAR RED

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:23 pm

You must choose whether you want to stay with Premium Tyres, viz run with a mix of Goodyear and Continentals until you run 4 Continentals or go for Budget Toyos all round however it is not permitted to run different Tyres on the same axle. What is your spare ??. In your circumstances I would swop the GYs to the rear and have Contis on the front. The rears will wear quicker and then replace with Contis. The spare GY may either make a full size spare or keep in the garage in case you write off one.
I have run GSD02s for 13 years on the "F" with only excellent results including regular Annual trips to the Swiss Alps. I proposed to replace with Toyos when required however their poor rating "In the Wet" both in the Performance Rating Labelling and Road Tests has made me look again. I have located some GSD03s (good for the "F" but "Do Not Fit" on the "TF") but am waiting for the supplier to confirm the Manufactured Date.
Geoff F.

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:32 am

I need some help. The Toyo T1R 185/55/15 tyre is no longer available in Australia. I can get the tyre in 195 and 205 sizes though. I have heard of some people running the same size on all four corners (normally the 205/50/15).
Is this a recommended option or should I start looking at other brands? I'd like to avoid the hassle of importing tyres from the USA, though they are way cheaper compared to Oz.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi Swampy, you can fit 205's all round. I did on the F before changing to 17" wheels.

The narrower front is recommended but given your situation I would not hesitate to keep the same on all four corners.

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:03 am

Thanks Adrian, The tyre dealer suggested I install the T1R's on the rear and standard passenger car Toyo's on the front (for a Mazda 2!!). New tyres go on Thursday to replace the cr@p currently on the car!

steveinoxford
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by steveinoxford » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi, having looked for threads on tyre choice, this thread seemed the best place to post a question.

My F 2000my is on 16" wheels, with the 215/60 all round, but they are perished so need to replace (the problem of low mileage cars!)

I will be fitting Toyo T1R, but should I go for the Trophy / TF set up with 195/45 on the fronts, or same tyre as currently fitted front and rear.

Is there anything that says the Trophy is different (other than being lowered) from the F that would cause the change to the specification, or was it MG development choice to reduce tramlining and/or reduce the front grip slightly for safer handling?

Love to hear any comments from people who have moved from 215 to 195 on F's.

thanks,
Steve

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:16 pm

Steve, you've probably got a vvc then, for some reasons many of them left the factory with 215/40x16 all round. You have the reasons to hand for the narrower 195 front so the choice is yours, I doubt you will feel much difference, if you do I guess it would be favourable, however, sorry to say I can't say I have made the change neither do I know anybody who has.

It will be interesting to find out though.