Mk2 T bar in a Mk1

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ElectroSoldier
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 'я' MGF 1.8i VVC

Mk2 T bar in a Mk1

Post by ElectroSoldier » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Hey guys can I fit a Mk2 t-bar with speakers into my Mk1 car?

Ive heard the sound is much better because of the surround sound system you get with the T-bar speakers, so Im really wanting to give em a try, but Ive got no idea of there are speaker mounting points on my Mk1... I dont even know if I need them

Is it a straight forward operation to fit a Mk2 t-bar to a Mk1 and have the speakers work

Hainsie
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: '96 BRG VVC

Re: Mk2 T bar in a Mk1

Post by Hainsie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:14 pm

No problem, just a bit of wiring to route through the centre console and the engine bay cover bolts are harder to get in and out.

You will obviously need the speaker mounting section as well as the T bar cover. See ebay for details!

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:42 pm

We covered this in full in an early copy of FasTForward, I fitted a MK2 T bar in to Emma's MK1.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:39 am

Might still be available to buy Adrian - I can't recall which edition it went into though?

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:11 am

Found it Rob, issue 3 page 28. Try the on-line shop to see if back copies are avalable. If not drop Tim a line.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Nice one Adrian :thumbsu:

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Cheers guys, I think this will be a mod in the future now... the T-bar isnt high on the list really, I was more wondering if it is possible.

can the mk2 door cards be fitted to a Mk1.... and the centre console with the round gear gator and different switches?

Trainer

Post by Trainer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:24 pm

ElectroSoldier wrote:Cheers guys, I think this will be a mod in the future now... the T-bar isnt high on the list really, I was more wondering if it is possible.

can the mk2 door cards be fitted to a Mk1.... and the centre console with the round gear gator and different switches?

I fitted TF 'T' bar in my mk1, easy job, wiring with required plug for the speakers was already in place which made the job a whole lot easier, cost me £50 for 'T' bar complete with speakers etc and took less than an hour.

Door cards are a straight swap, only thing I needed to do was unsolder the wires to the tweeter on the original tweeter and then connect the new tweeter speakers which are separate on a mk2/TF door card, door card cost me £50 for a pair, £20 for door handle surrounds and £10 for tweeters, took an hour and a half to remove originals and fit new ones. Of course then I had to get new seats to match the door cards half leather and grey alacantra £150. Oh and then the biege windscreen surround trims didn't match the rest of the dark grey/black trim in the car so had to replace them, another £30 and then of course you've got to get the matching sunshades yet another £30.

Centre console again, easy job, can't remember who it was but someone did a really good walk through somewhere which I followed, picked up the centre console for £50 had to buy the gear lever surround and gaiter separately which cost £10 plus a couple of switches £10 each, and a mk2/TF heater front with knobs that was about £25, it took about an hour and a half to do, after I had completed this I took the console back out and sprayed it gloss black along with the heater vent fronts after I read about someone else doing this.

The only trouble with doing mods is once you start more and more keep coming up and it’s hard to know where to stop. That’s the problem with me keep reading the forum every day you pick up some brilliant ideas off the very experienced people on here. :thumbsu: but it costs a fortune.
Last edited by Trainer on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve and Bee
Torbay.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Trainer wrote:but its costs a fortune.
Yep, that's what my wife says as well :lol:

I think I'll better have my parcels delivered to the work address :thumbsu:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Trainer

Post by Trainer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Mykel wrote:
Trainer wrote:but its costs a fortune.
Yep, that's what my wife says as well :lol:

:lol: I'm lucky I don't get that problem because Bee drives the car more than I do and she's just as bad as me for mods :thumbsu:
Steve and Bee
Torbay.

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 pm

I know what you mean about cost...

been seriously considering a new leather + alcantara interior from MGFCentre.
Looks amazing, if a little more than you average interior.

I was wondering about the T-bar because I dont think they do a leather T-bar without speakers

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:58 am

Do it yourself, so much cheaper, take your seats out, split them apart and take them to a local car upholsterer along with the T bar, then you can have them covered in the same material, see FTF14 pages 18 - 20 for a how to guide with pictures, it's really easy. It cost me (I think) £60 for their costs as I didn't have a tool to remove and replace the hog rings. The money saved can go on other mods, you know it makes sense ;)

You also have the pleasure of doing it yourself (and you can hoover and clean under the seats :lol: ).

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:26 am

Mk1 to Mk2 console swap: http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DI ... /index.htm

Mk1 to Mk2 door cards swap: http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DI ... #doorcards

or modify a mk1 door card to mk2 specification: http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DI ... /index.htm

Probably a few other links out there, but certainly these are food for thought :)