Headlights are like candles, any improvements?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: Headlights are like candles, any improvements?

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:54 am

redarrow wrote:I fort you lot got this solved for £70 time ago.

i think, not sure, but i bet, there jewelery makers, could re chrome for less.

£70 is steep for re chroming, it not a lot to do, or chrome to be honest.

surly someone trying to get a better price, only cost around £15 for the chroming liquid.

i no it better then paying £250 for new bowls.

ideal world.

Get a user to do the chrome work, for the cost liquid/electric ,little drink £20
all in £35 both done.

be nice
It's not chrome :roll:

The silvering is a probably a process involving vacuum deposition of vapourised aluminium onto the plastic reflector bowl - an expensive process which is not easily replicated without serious financial outlay.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 am

People have looked at this problem over the years and the consensus seems to be: It is possible to 'shiny plate' things quite cheaply and it then degrades quite quickly too - which is worse than useless.
The Dual Metalising process is relatively expensive, nearer £100, but fairly heatproof and sealed - which is important for the 'sealed' headlamp bowl application(trapped bulb heat).
Lots of people have tried DM and been satisfied that it is a good professional outfit providing a long term service for a justifiable price. In life the cheapest things are very rarely the best.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:53 am

That's right, Charles,

in German we have the the proverb "kostenlos ist meistens umsonst", which roughly translates "free of charge is mostly for nothing".

I definitely think that this applies to cheap labour as well. :D
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

lee632
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by lee632 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:28 pm

I put 100W (offroad use only it says on the box) BOSHH bulbs in mine and the lights are great but they are about £25 each...

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Well Lee, those 100W bulbs will vaporise the rest of your reflectors' chroming in no time, I'm afraid. I would even think the reflector bowls themselves might get out of proper shape in the long run due to the much higher temperatures the bulbs create.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:23 am

I only commented thinking a mgf car user, in the mgf club, could lower the price, as said it cheaper then new bowls or lights.

not a bad price anyway really.

what they last for, when re silvered, over 6 years so far, i think one user said.