Interior lights

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
jonthevicar
MGF Register Region: North East

Interior lights

Post by jonthevicar » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:40 pm

My Mgf s interior lights appear to have an intermittent fault.
Sometimes they work and sometimes not.

I assume this is due to a switch somewhere in the door, or could it be a relay sticking?

Has anyone else had simillar issues?

Thanks

Jon

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: Interior lights

Post by Mykel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 am

Hi Jon,

the switches are actually incorporated into the door lock assemblies. Yet they do not control the interior lights directly, but via the multi function ECU. Current also runs across some taps and headers buried deep down somewhere :D .

So to get down a bit more to the core it would help to know if this intermittent failure
- affects all four lamps (foot well lh&rh, the two in the rear view mirror) at the same time
- occurs only when opening one specific door or on both
- looks like some loose contact, ie the lights go off and on again for no obvious reason

Then it might be easier to track the faulty bits.

Cheers
Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

jonthevicar

Post by jonthevicar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:51 am

Hi Mykel

Thanks for the reply.

The problem when it appears affects all 4 lights.
They either all work or all don't

Jon

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:44 am

Well Jon,

so the plot thickens. Might be one of the switches in the door mechanisms, or the wires in the loom going into the doors. I would actually rule out the multi-function ECU itself or the fixed cables and header joints in the first place. These tend to rather work or not, normally not producing intermittent failure.

You should now check which door doesn't trigger the lights when opened.

Then we can narrow the possible cause a little more.

Cheers
Mykel
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Does this intermittent fault effect both doors, or just the Driver's side?

My suspicions would centre on the wiring loom to the door lock, or to the door lock connector. What vintage is your MGF? Chances are the problem may lie with the external connector.

I suspect that you'll have the later version, as this changed over some time in 1996... and it is the loom that plugs into the two-pin socket that may be a cause of problems. Contact cleaner is your friend. :)

newtomgf
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by newtomgf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi, I have recently bought a 1999 mgf and am loving every minute of it so far. I have encountered a similar problem with the internal footwell lights and initially thought it was a dud bulb. So i bought replacements. After taking the old bulb out i found the metal end contact to the bulb was no longer soldered to the end of the bulb and simply replacing the bulb seemed to solve the problem. I hope this helps.

However i have now found a different problem where the backing to the light assembly seemed to be getting very hot and had started to warp and looks like it is melting. I have taken out the bulbs until i find a solution. Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Thanks

James

artful.codger
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGZR 105+ + 04 TF135

Post by artful.codger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:04 pm

Did you replace the bulbs with the correct rating? The interior footwell bulbs should be 5 watt. If your new ones are more than that they will be hotter with the obvious consequences.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :-)
--
Regards,
Rick.
1996 F 1.8 MPi & 2004 TF 135

jonthevicar

Post by jonthevicar » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 am

Right

This morning, no interior lights on either side. Also if I leave the lights on and open the door no warning buzzer.

However after my 35 mile drive to work interior lights work if the drivers door is opened , but not the passenger door.

Over to you guys

Jon

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Jon,

definitely the loom and/or the switches. I'm afraid you will have to take the door panels off and have a close look at the wiring.

You can check the switches when you disconnect the wires and short the purple/white (driver's side) or purple/grey wire against the black one. On the passenger's door these are in the same connector, on the driver's side the black one sits in the extra 2-pin connector - don't mix it up with the black/orange one!

If this works, then the wiring is okay.
As Rob said, drain the connectors with contact cleaner and see if there's any improvement. If so, lucky you are! Otherwise the switches themselves will be the problem. AFAIK this means that you'd have to change the locks.

If shorting the wires doesn't work as well, check for broken wires, especially in the tube that runs from the body to the doors.

HTH
Mykel
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

jonthevicar

Post by jonthevicar » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks Mykel

I will investigate further.
Rob are your door card removal instructions the same for a 2001 model?

Jon

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Yes, they're exactly the same Jon :)

jonthevicar

Post by jonthevicar » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:31 pm

I haven't taken the door apart but have found that if the lights don't come on, a tap on the door next to the lock wakes up the microswitch!

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Well Jon,

this may be cheap but labour-intensive :D I'd suggest to take the little darlings out, dismember them, give everything a good clean & grease and reassemble. Bit fiddly I'm afraid, but that's what we MG enthusiasts love about our cars, isn't it? :lol:

Cheers
Mykel
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic: