Resistor Pack with Air Con

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
davidg
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MG TF 160

Resistor Pack with Air Con

Post by davidg » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:54 pm

As I have no fan on speed 1 I read all the posts and ordered a resistor pack as no stranger to a soldering iron. After standing on my head for a while, and discovering I have wet carpets at the same time, I have decided it is near on impossible to get to the resistor pack when you have air con. Is there a How To for those with air?

Thanks
David
MG TF 160 & MG ZT-T 260/400

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Resistor Pack with Air Con

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 pm

It's a lot harder. Not done this, as neither of my cars have air con, but the aircon unit needs to come out. :(

That said, it probably needs to come out anyway, as you need to re-seal the air plenum for the ventilation system to stop the water leak.

davidg

Post by davidg » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:38 pm

I found the condense hose disconnected but whether that was me pulling out the carpet I don't know. Hoping to have it ready for Era day on Sunday so will be some late nights I fear.

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi David,

I've sent you an e-mail.

willyphixitt

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:27 pm

willyphixitt if there a solution, why not shear?

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:07 am

davidg wrote:I found the condense hose disconnected but whether that was me pulling out the carpet I don't know. Hoping to have it ready for Era day on Sunday so will be some late nights I fear.
That hose has "Lips" on the lower end to prevent water ingress, this however causes blockage therefore it may need to be removed and cleaned.
We were at EOTY 2003 in Zug Switzerland when Ann was paddling in the passengers footwell. For the Show/Concours Day we had all the mats laying on the ground drying out.
willyphixitt wrote:Hi David,

I've sent you an e-mail.

willyphixitt
An electronic circuit fix which does not require the access. Must get myself one day.
Geoff F.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Geoff.F wrote:
willyphixitt wrote:Hi David,

I've sent you an e-mail.

willyphixitt
An electronic circuit fix which does not require the access. Must get myself one day.
Geoff F.
Yes, and it won't burnt out either like the original does.

As willyphixitt is selling this, he's not breaking any forum rules on advertising by suggesting off-board contact ;)

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 pm

willyphixitt what the price, can we all get one?

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:05 pm

The price was in the region of £40 a couple of years ago and (if you have aircon) they save you a fortune in disassembling the aircon to get at and replace resistors which could easily go again. His design, which he builds to order, uses varying 12v pulse duration to control speed, not resistor wire dropping voltage level. He sells them all over the world as a hobby and they are a much more elegant design that the cheapo OEM solution. He is too modest to brag about it or plug it on a non commercial forum which has rules against such behaviour. It is all in the archives, or you can pm him.

lsparrow
Model of Car: VVC Abingdon

Post by lsparrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:27 am

I can highly recommend willy's electronic pack, I had one send to me in New Zealand. I have air con and it works a treat; no messing about with removing heaters and dashboards etc. Bill is a very friendly and helpful guy, detailed instructions; quick job. :thumbsu:
VVC Abingdon, 52mm throttle body, K&N air filter, Spax shocks, poly bushes, boot rack and home made boot hoop for those longer DIY items.

davidg

Post by davidg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm

I am considering the electronic pack but decided to have a go at changing the resistors as had already bought replacements. The job is partly done and I now have all three speeds on the fan. I am finding reassembling the aircon the hardest part and spent several hours on my head last night, and acheing rather today. I cannot get the last few clips on as the bottom half of the plastic is not a good enough fit on the bulkhead side, so can't see it either. Have taken it off several times but refuses to go back correctly.

Do I wish I hadn't bothered? Yes and no. It is an extremely difficult task but I found the fan impellar full of the grey foam/sponge that had once been round the evaporator. I have removed the rest of it to stop a recurrence. Not looking forward to recommencing battle tonight.

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 pm

davidg that why willyphixitt made the circuit board for,but at the same time they don't go wrong like what you just installed.

willyphixitt i got a non air conditioning car, i wanted to no, if i got a non con circuit from you, when my heater goes resistor part, then i can fit your resistor circuit design and the heater will work again. is that correct.(i no your design out weighs all others.OEM example.

i read he supply both air con and non air con.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:41 pm

I imagine it's an SCR based circuit, and as such will probably last indefinitely as it's solid state, rather than a coiled length of tungsten sitting in the breeze... :)

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:47 pm

That is true, he does both, but the cost is still in the £40 ball park. He is probably too busy making them and doing interesting things to scan the web all day, why not pm him?

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 pm

charles, i will when got the money and time, i will also mention your name.

just want to thank you, for the grate contact, and post's on this and other forum's.

davidg

Post by davidg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:23 pm

The job is done :) Fan working, air-con back together, fan impellar cleaned out, drain tube reattached. Passenger seat still out and carpets drying, but it's getting there.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Good work! :thumbsu:

willyphixitt
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:28 pm

Blimely guys,

It's been busy here. I've not looked at the website for a few days. Gonna take me a while to read all the posts.

David - SO IT IS POSSIBLE to change the resistor pack on aircon fitted cars - without removing the refrigerant I presume.

As has been mentioned I do make a couple of electronic gizmos to replace the failing resistor packs. The vast majority of orders are for aircon fitted cars for the reasons already discovered. The units (aircon) uses two 555 timer chips and two high power mosfets. The mosfets (transistors) are in effect very low resistant switches one of which is pulsed on and off to varying degrees to achieve the speed variations. The non aircon version is about a £5-00 cheaper, although it takes almost as long to build. Currently the aircon version is priced at £45-00 (£47-00 via Paypal for UK delivery) which includes recorded delivery to the UK. International orders are generally about £12-00 to £13-00 more. Postal charges from Jersey are going up again this month so I may have to tweak my prices. Some components have jumped up dramatically in price over the few years I've been making the units. These items never appear in any rpi or cpi indexes, do they!!

I hope the above brings everybody up to speed. The attached photo shows what's inside the box. Two heavy duty components (mosfet and a diode) are mounted on the alloy plate underneath the control box.

willyphixitt
Attachments
DSCN1378.jpg
DSCN1378.jpg (190.47 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

artful.codger
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGZR 105+ + 04 TF135

Post by artful.codger » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:02 pm

I think I will have another go at removing the module first, or rather get one of my sons to have a go for me. Repairing the module once removed won't be a problem. If all else fails I'll be sending Willy an email. :-)
--
Regards,
Rick.
1996 F 1.8 MPi & 2004 TF 135

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 am

davidg ,can you provide, a step via step, example of fitting this resistor pack please.

there no real descent pictured guide any help would be so grateful, loads ask with no ans-aw.

looks like there a knack in getting to the restore pack, and then repairing it, or replacing it.

can you help, picture, full explanation be nice.