Blowing Exhaust Mystery?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
yo55er
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: F

Blowing Exhaust Mystery?

Post by yo55er » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi. Once again I ask Forum readers for their help, input and advice for a weird sort of problem I have with my exhaust.
When I start the 'F' the noise it makes, you would swear the exhaust had a hole in, but it hasn't. Three times I have had it in the garage and even though they changed the piece before the cat, they cannot find any leak, simply because it only lasts for a short while, then it goes back to the normal sound that you would expect to hear. Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon?
Can I also thank Rich in Canada. Took your advice and had a new caliper fitted. Cheers
for that.
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: Blowing Exhaust Mystery?

Post by Mykel » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi Dave,

I experienced a quite similar sound, something like a farting noise, especially under acceleration. I also had the exhaust system as a suspect, yet everything seemed to be okay there. In my case it was a nut lacking on the inlet manifold where it connects to the cylinder head. Came from being poorly tightened at the garage after HGF repair. :rant:

I got it replaced and the inlet gasket checked under warranty and the sound is gone, almost like a new engine.

Seems to have been an unwanted breathing bypass which also caused more problems btw, such as high idle and fuel consumption around 33 mpg. Now I'm waiting to see improvements on those issues, looks good so far.

HTH
Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

yo55er
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: F

Post by yo55er » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:42 am

Danke Mykel.
The mechanic did say it may be the exhaust manifold. I had a similar problem on a MG ZR. Will get the guy to check it out tomorrow. Yesterday did a round trip to Hereford which is approx 250 miles from Liverpool and the 'F' did 40 mpg on mainly A roads which I'm quite pleased about. Would you say this is about right for a 1.8 non VVC engine?
Thanks for your help
Cheers
Dave

AyB
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by AyB » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:46 am

yo55er wrote: Yesterday did a round trip to Hereford which is approx 250 miles from Liverpool and the 'F' did 40 mpg on mainly A roads which I'm quite pleased about. Would you say this is about right for a 1.8 non VVC engine?
Thanks for your help
Cheers
Dave
That sounds about right. I get around 40mpg also on any out of town trip with the same engine as yours. :thumbsu: