Air intake Hose

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Trainer
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Air intake Hose

Post by Trainer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Wonder if anyone could give me a bit of advice, I want to re-route my air intake pipe to the n/s air vent now i've fitted vent scoops, can anyone recommend which air pipe I should use, I guess i'll need something less than a metre, also what diameter is it best to use?

Thanks

Steve
Steve and Bee
Torbay.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: Air intake Hose

Post by Mykel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi Steve,

I reused the original hose, which I disconnected from the resonator box. In my case, the hose clamp fixing it was loose anyway. The cable tie that secures it is a bit fiddly to undo, yet it can be done.

I then removed the air cleaner box and discarded the tubular connection from the resonator (2 parts). After I had clamped the hose directly to the box's intake, it was routed to the left air vent whilst refitting the airbox. On my car the hose falls about 10 cm short, but usually this should work. I will now use a chopped part of the connecting tube I removed to expand the hose to the air vent.

Takes about an hour incl. removing an refitting the engine access cover.

HTH
Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Trainer

Post by Trainer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Mykel wrote:Hi Steve,

I reused the original hose, which I disconnected from the resonator box. In my case, the hose clamp fixing it was loose anyway. The cable tie that secures it is a bit fiddly to undo, yet it can be done.

I then removed the air cleaner box and discarded the tubular connection from the resonator (2 parts). After I had clamped the hose directly to the box's intake, it was routed to the left air vent whilst refitting the airbox. On my car the hose falls about 10 cm short, but usually this should work. I will now use a chopped part of the connecting tube I removed to expand the hose to the air vent.

Takes about an hour incl. removing an refitting the engine access cover.

HTH
Mykel

Thanks a lot Mykel, out of interest how did you secure the hose to the air vent?

Thanks

Steve
Steve and Bee
Torbay.

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Not at all yet, Steve, it just sits there, close to the vent. Unfortunately the original tube is too short and bent in the wrong way.

As the original airbox is still in place, the draft from the engine is sufficient to get enough air into the system, I suppose. And it is much cooler in this whole area anyway. I suppose I will be going for a rubber item that covers antenna posts where they go through the roof actually, like this one here for example:

Don't think that there is any air flow into the car at that point! Actually on Rob's site there is a report about it being quite the other way round. Therefore this vent is not a good place to position cold air hoses for an air filter cone like the K&N 57i or so, as these rely on cold air being actively fed towards them. Yet with a K&N panel filter within the original airbox, this shouldn't be a problem.

I have now ordered a K&N panel filter plus a 52mm throttle body to go with it. When everything has arrived, I will sort the hose business as well. Hopefully before Maundy Thursday as I will be quite busy over the Easter holidays.

Will keep you posted,
Mykel
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:27 pm

So the easter bunny made an early visit today, and well hidden in the postie's van there were a 52 mm alloy throttle body and a K&N panel filter :thumbsu:

While fitting the TB first, I later removed the airbox again and mounted the upper half of the connecting tube (from resonator to airbox) to the open end of hose, this being a lot easier than after the hose went in last time:
airbox.jpg
airbox.jpg (180.86 KiB) Viewed 4615 times
Here is a close-up look at the 45 degree curve the tube makes, with the original rubber joint still on it (needed!). In fact after fitting this I had to realise that the tube actually needs to be rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise to give the perfect fit ... everything out again and start the fiddling business again :roll:
detail.jpg
detail.jpg (162.3 KiB) Viewed 4615 times
When everything is in place, the rubber joint looks neat inside the completely stripped air intake. Removing all the plastic panels is not technically necessary, yet gives much better access to the hose from outside.
intake.jpg
intake.jpg (95.91 KiB) Viewed 4615 times
Together with the 52 mm TB and the K&N, the throttle response in the 2.500 - 4.000 rpm range really is much better on the VVC. I don't know if this applies to MPis as well, and I yet have to see if the mpg figures will be better as well now. Tank is almost empty, so best time for a new start.

Cheers
Mykel
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Trainer

Post by Trainer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Mykel wrote:So the easter bunny made an early visit today, and well hidden in the postie's van there were a 52 mm alloy throttle body and a K&N panel filter

While fitting the TB first, I later removed the airbox again and mounted the upper half of the connecting tube (from resonator to airbox) to the open end of hose, this being a lot easier than after the hose went in last time:

Here is a close-up look at the 45 degree curve the tube makes, with the original rubber joint still on it (needed!). In fact after fitting this I had to realise that the tube actually needs to be rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise to give the perfect fit ... everything out again and start the fiddling business again

When everything is in place, the rubber joint looks neat inside the completely stripped air intake. Removing all the plastic panels is not technically necessary, yet gives much better access to the hose from outside.
Hi Mykel

So did you say the hose you've used is the original one just re-routed?

Is your 'f' a mk1?

Have you taken the resonator box out?

Cheers

Steve
Steve and Bee
Torbay.

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi Steve,
Trainer wrote:So did you say the hose you've used is the original one just re-routed?
Yes, it's the one connected to the resonator box, running alongside the rear firewall. Actually seems to be a bit shorter then pictured in the workshop manual.
Trainer wrote:Is your 'f' a mk1?
Hmm, no and yes ... it left Longbridge on 10 March 2000, optically a perfect MY2000, yet enginewise the VVCs were more Mk I until early 2001, when MEMS3 was introduced to them as well. So I still have a resonator box and no post-cat lambda sensor.
Trainer wrote:Have you taken the resonator box out?
No, it's a close fit, but as the connecting tube from the res box was - uhm - 50% "recycled" to make up the bottom angle, there is enough space to route the hose past. Taking the bugger out in one piece was a strict no-go (see workshop manual), also I wanted to have the chance to reassemble the original status should the TÜV (our MoT) engineer faint out during the next inspection. :lol:

Cheers and happy Easter,
Mykel
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

redarrow

Post by redarrow » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:34 am

mykell, can you kindly ,list all the bits, and a step via step, how to do this.

we need.

52mm throttle. Secondhand £40 -£60 new £60 - £128.

k&n induction kit. £85 never seen secondhand unfortunately.

what now, we need to no the bits you got from post. model,name?

well done m8, good stuff.

ps. you got a stainless steel on that best?

pps. what you think of the electric superchargers for mgf, verse the k&n

very interested, but who wins k&n or below link?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ELECTRIC-SUPER ... 230f8b8f91

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:23 am

Hi Redarrow,

note this is not a mod for the K&N 57i induction kit! I still use the original airbox that is standard on the car, only swapped the paper filter element to a lifetime K&N panel filter.

Also, the 52mm throttle body is not necessary and might even prove senseless on non-VVC engines, as they can't make that much use of the extra airflow I guess. The TB came brand new with TPS and throttle cable bracket fitted, providing a 10 minute straight swap. I found it on eBay for 70£ plus 10£ p/p to Germany, so this was a bargain upgrade as I just sold my old 48mm alloy one for 70 Euros.

The only things really needed are the K&N panel filter (41 Euros off eBay inc. p/p in my case) and a 50-70mm hose clamp (DIY store, 2 Euros).

So this is how it's done:

- remove inspection grille and engine access cover
- undo clip for rubber hose on throttle body and unclip airbox top part
- remove airbox top part and discard old paper filter element
- remove 8mm bolt and plastic stud securing lower part of airbox
- completely remove airbox incl. connecting tube (rubber joint and 90 deg angle) to resonator
- undo clamp/cable tie for air intake hose on resonator, remove hose

Now cut the connecting tube in half and discard the lower (bigger) part which was connected to the resonator box. Keep the upper part including the rubber joint, sand the raw edge and clean. Clean the airbox as well while you're at it. Fix the air intake hose with its original clamp to the intake of the airbox, the remainder of the connecting tube with a new 50-70mm clamp to the other end of the hose.

Next everything is to be refitted:
- remove air vent grille and possibly the plasic covers behind it
- put airbox bottom part back into engine compartment, routing the hose to the left air vent
>>> this is the hardest part!
- refix airbox with 8mm bolt and plastic stud
- make sure the rubber joint sits nicely in the air vent, then reattach plastic cover/grille
- put K&N panel filter into airbox
- clip top part of airbox back on and connect rubber hose to throttle body
- close engine access cover and put inspection grille back in place

Done. Takes about one and a half hours incl. engine access.

Cheers
Mykel
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Trainer

Post by Trainer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:18 am

Mykel wrote:Hi Steve,
Trainer wrote:Is your 'f' a mk1?
Hmm, no and yes ... it left Longbridge on 10 March 2000, optically a perfect MY2000, yet enginewise the VVCs were more Mk I until early 2001, when MEMS3 was introduced to them as well. So I still have a resonator box and no post-cat lambda sensor.

Cheers and happy Easter,
Mykel
Hi Mykel

Happy Easter to you to.

The reason I asked this question was I was trying to work out which airbox you had is it a mk1 or the bigger MY2000/TF one?

Will be doing this mod one evening this week but cant decide whether I need the bigger MY2000/TF airbox, as it happens there are a few on Ebay at the moment.

Cheers

Steve
Steve and Bee
Torbay.

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:36 am

It's the smaller one on my car, as far as I know this was changed in the 5225xx VIN range, when the resonator box was dropped.
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Trainer

Post by Trainer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:55 am

Mykel wrote:It's the smaller one on my car, as far as I know this was changed in the 5225xx VIN range, when the resonator box was dropped.

Thanks Mykel, didn't expect an answer so quickly, I can get this done this week now. :thumbsu:
Steve and Bee
Torbay.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Nice re-use of the original hose Mykel! On earlier cars like mine, the length available is inadequate. In this case, source some spiral supported silicone hose. Loads of suppliers on flea bay these days, but I bought mine from Demon Tweeks. A metre is more than enough for the task :)

PS Electric supercharger?

Sorry, this is another one of those automotive snake oil items that regularly crop up on ebay. Don't be tempted to waste your money ;) (more here: http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/en ... /index.htm)

Trainer

Post by Trainer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Nice re-use of the original hose Mykel! On earlier cars like mine, the length available is inadequate. In this case, source some spiral supported silicone hose. Loads of suppliers on flea bay these days, but I bought mine from Demon Tweeks. A metre is more than enough for the task :)
Rob

Mines a 97 am i likely to have the same problem as you i.e. inadequate available air hose length? if so what diameter spiral supported silicone hose should i get?

Thanks

Steve
Last edited by Trainer on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve and Bee
Torbay.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:43 pm

I used 69mm - but that's with the Rover 820 airbox I've got fitted. I think that the standard hose has a similar inner diameter - best check.