How late a VVC engine can I use?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

How late a VVC engine can I use?

Post by sniperpenguin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:06 pm

As you know, Panda may be requiring a replacement VVC engine unless we can be sure all is well with her block + head....

The question is, how late a car can I use? I assume all the Mark 1 F's are OK (143BHP, MEMs 2) and all the TF's are out of the question without some work (160BHP, MEM's 3) but what about:

- Later MK2 / MY2000 F's
- Early MK1 ZR160's
- Rover VVC Coupe's (Pretty sure these are OK, but are usually massive mileage!)

Just thinking that if I widen my search, the chance of a cheapo engine increases.... I understand that going the Rover / ZR route would involve swapping some ancillaries etc.
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: How late a VVC engine can I use?

Post by Mykel » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:49 pm

If the engine is from an MGF, you can use all from a MEMS 2J equipped car, that is up to the 522xxx VIN range (late 2000 I'd say). As for other Rover models I can't really tell any VINs, yet imho opinion they should be identifiable from the second after-cat lambda sensor, which is a MEMS 3 feature on the VVC.

Also, if the ignition coils are still on the engine, the ones with the two twin coils beneath the inlet manifold (or where it should sit) are MEMS 2J. MEMS 3 have them directly connected to the plugs, using only 2 HT leads.

Going the 160 bhp way would also raise the need to fit an oil cooler as found on Trophy models, I'm afraid.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

sniperpenguin

Post by sniperpenguin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Mykel wrote:If the engine is from an MGF, you can use all from a MEMS 2J equipped car, that is up to the 522xxx VIN range (late 2000 I'd say). As for other Rover models I can't really tell any VINs, yet imho opinion they should be identifiable from the second after-cat lambda sensor, which is a MEMS 3 feature on the VVC.

Also, if the ignition coils are still on the engine, the ones with the two twin coils beneath the inlet manifold (or where it should sit) are MEMS 2J. MEMS 3 have them directly connected to the plugs, using only 2 HT leads.

Going the 160 bhp way would also raise the need to fit an oil cooler as found on Trophy models, I'm afraid.
Cheers - Some Im essentially good with any VVC that has the coil packs lower down - brilliant ;)

(Oil cooler shouldnt be a problem, as it is already fitted to the TF160. I was just hoping that the early ZR's use the early VVC engine > apparently not!)

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Mykel wrote: Going the 160 bhp way would also raise the need to fit an oil cooler as found on Trophy models, I'm afraid.
The "Cooler" is either to enhance coolant heating on start or a sales gimmick. Probably the latter.
Geoff F.

ElectroSoldier
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 'я' MGF 1.8i VVC

Post by ElectroSoldier » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Why dont you get what you have got fixed, as opposed to get fixed up with another?

sniperpenguin

Post by sniperpenguin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:09 pm

ElectroSoldier wrote:Why dont you get what you have got fixed, as opposed to get fixed up with another?
Because I dont know if the engine in my project car is salvagable - If it isnt, I'll need to source a replacement.