Doh! Rear zip out screen

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Pete
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC '96

Doh! Rear zip out screen

Post by Pete » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am

In a spontaneous act of grand stupidity I thought it looked like a nice bright day to have the roof down. Result: One splintered rear window. Lesson learned: Don't fold the roof down when it's below freezing.....

I have two questions…

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new zip out rear screen for a '96 MGF? There seems to be a lot of choice, Prestige Car Hoods do one for £85, Brown and Gammon have one for about £150 and Rimmer Bros have two, an original at £190 and a "replica" at £135.
2. How easy are they to fit? I’ve seen quotes of three hours labour, is it a DIY job or am I better off paying someone who knows what they're doing?

Any help would be much appreciated.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: Doh! Rear zip out screen

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:25 am

Pete, read "replace rear window" further down in the tech section, that may help.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Fletch29
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Post by Fletch29 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:08 pm

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, my temporary repair is Duct tape "nearly transparent". Depending where you live, the correspondence on the North West area site quotes a firm in Middlewich who have done the job for £115 + VAT.

Pete
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC '96

Post by Pete » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. In my panic I didn't spot the previous post on the same subject. I've now got a replacement on order but in the meantime I've stuck it all back together with clear waterproof tape and it seems to be holding (which is a good job as the car lives outside).....