fitting rear trailing arm bushes

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
simdog37
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

fitting rear trailing arm bushes

Post by simdog37 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:15 pm

hi could any body tell me about fitting rear trailing arm bushes mine are shoot and need replacing on my 52 reg mgtf do you have to drop the subframe ? any answers would be greatly appreciated cheers colin

petevick
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Re: fitting rear trailing arm bushes

Post by petevick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:05 am

Do you mean the two long links ?, item 8 here - http://www.mgfcar.de/epc/553.htm. If so, no need to drop the subframe, you will need to remove the exhaust box tho iirc, to get to and remove the inner bolts. Polybush do replacements, ref 38G - http://www.polybush.co.uk/assets/mailsh ... __MGTF.jpg
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:09 am

Depends which end - the subframe pivot is going to be very difficult to access unless the subframe is at least dropped an inch or two...

petevick

Post by petevick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:39 am

Rob Bell wrote:Depends which end - the subframe pivot is going to be very difficult to access unless the subframe is at least dropped an inch or two...
not on a TF Rob, the outer end bolts to the hub ;)....unless your talking about something else ??
Pete Vickerstaff
MG F/TF Central - your one stop shop for MGF/TF tips, tricks, faq's, how to's and links

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:13 pm

Doesn't he mean the front end of the trailing arm, ie Item 16 - Compliance bush/bracket?

petevick

Post by petevick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Tipper wrote:Doesn't he mean the front end of the trailing arm, ie Item 16 - Compliance bush/bracket?
no idea, thats why I asked. But if your right, then the off side can be done, without dropping the sub frame, but the sub frame will have to be dropped to do the near side. I got away by dropping just the near side, its very tight, but doable.
Pete Vickerstaff

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:44 am

I guess it will be easier to work out by naming the bush from the parts catalogue?

(Pete, d'oh! My mistake, I was thinking MGF for some reason! :oops:)

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:28 am

Rob, You're not the only one!
I did a long write up on changing the MGF bushings then realised my mistake,
so I deleted it before posting. :shutup:

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:32 am

The clue is in the car model name :roll: :shutup:

The O/S is easy and the bush/bracket can be replaced in minutes provided all the bolts etc play ball.

As Petevick says (thanks for the tip Pete :thumbsu: ), the N/S involves lowering the subframe around the O/S subframe brackets - it only needs rotating downwards enough for the compliance bush assy to clear the bodywork. The two N/S subframe brackets need un doing from the bodywork to enable the subframe to drop on side only. All the coolant hoses and wiring can be left connected - again having got that far the swop over of the bush is easy and quick.
Polybush were very good and made a softer blue compound to accomodate/more easily replicate the replacement of the OEM void bush which gives variable toe geometry under braking.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 pm

I need glasses!

simdog37
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by simdog37 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Image

I guess it will be easier to work out by naming the bush from the parts catalogue?

(Pete, d'oh! My mistake, I was thinking MGF for some reason! :oops:)
hi its number 17 from the parts catalogue boths sides how much can you get these for cheers colin

petevick

Post by petevick » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 pm

simdog37 wrote:hi its number 17 from the parts catalogue boths sides how much can you get these for cheers colin
they are about £65-£75 each from Rimmers - http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID000159 bottom of the page. These were NLA a while ago, good to see Rimmers stocking them again.
Pete Vickerstaff