Does the mgf vvc keys need to be programmed?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
nadk2010
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Does the mgf vvc keys need to be programmed?

Post by nadk2010 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:24 pm

I only have one key to my mgf vvc but i heard somehwhere that i can just get a shop to make one and it dont need to be programmed and it will work, starting up car, locking doors, etc. Is this true please tell me someone. :thumbsu:

richard1951
MGF Register Region: North West

Re: Does the mgf vvc keys need to be programmed?

Post by richard1951 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:34 pm

no it needs doing properly see link ... as it also controles the imoblisor and alarm

http://www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/MG/MGF-MGTF/

though it is not the key that is programed but the fob and that opperates the alarm and imoblisor you should be able to get key cut but will not opperate alarm i think

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:25 pm

The key only operates the locks and ignition/start.Yes you can get one from a lock shop or from one of the usual MG suspects.
The Fob locks the doors and sets the alarm It also immobilises the start requiring the Fob to start the car.
The car also auto immobilises the start with a delay after key removal.
If the fob fails then you may enter the Emergency Key Access Code EKA into the door lock which will de-activate the alarm and the immobiliser allowing the engine to be started until reactivated with the Fob.
Geoff F.

nadk2010

Post by nadk2010 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:23 am

so if i do get a key cut i can use the key but the alarm wont be in use. is that correct?

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:27 am

NO. You must use the EKA to turn off the alarm and immobiliser before using just a key,
Geoff F

nadk2010

Post by nadk2010 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:54 pm

how do i turn the EKA off. sorry about the questions im a novice

Dingbat
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF 160 Sprint

Post by Dingbat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:51 pm

The EKA code stands for Emergency Key Access. Each car has a 4 digit EKA code which is input by a series of left and right turns of the key in the drivers door.

If you've got the code and input it correctly, it will disable the alarm and immobiliser and allow you to start the engine.

Have a look at the handbook and the documentation with the car to see the detail and see if you've been passed the EKA code. If not, a garage with MG/Rover testbook diagnostics will be able to read it for you.

HTH

Brian
Brian Dingsdale
TF 160 Sprint, VHS Dampers, glass rear window, B&G low coolant alarm, Mud flaps, rear light protectors, Powdercoated and polybushed subframes (Royal Blue). Stainless coolant pipes. Braided brake hoses. Greasable clutch release arm.

richard1951
    MGF Register Region: North West

Post by richard1951 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:13 pm

follow
    the link eerything is explained in there about the keys fobs and how to do the codes

http://www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/MG/eka-code/

nadk2010

Post by nadk2010 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:50 pm

You guys are a fantastic help to mee, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :thumbsu:

bgunn
    MGF Register Region: South East

Post by bgunn » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:33 pm

I can code fobs, but I'm based in London. I often do a quick engine management code read/adaptions reset at the same time, all in for £40.