Fitting the hardtop

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
lachiedamn
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Fitting the hardtop

Post by lachiedamn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:03 am

Hello there, I have recently purchased a hardtop for the car, however I have not yet tried to fit it as it 147 miles away. Am I right in thinking that I fit it over the rolled down soft top? Is there an idiots guide to doing it anywhere? Thanks in anticipation. Lachie.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: Fitting the hardtop

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:48 am

Quick answer is yes it will. Unzip the rear screen and leave it flat before folding back the hood. Be careful this weather - in the cold there's a risk of cracking the rear screen.

There are four clasps - two on the windscreen header rail (same as the soft top) and two on either side which clip onto the base of the hood frame (there are couple of upturned 'U' brackets at the base of the frame) - that's it.

Mind you, you'd be best having someone to give you a hand just in case you drop it - it's heavy.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:02 am

Behind the passengers seat on the engine cover, there is an electrical cable and connector for the rear window heater. Recover this before folding the roof down.
You may or maynot have the required switch and relay fitted. These parts are dependant on the year model of your car.
Geoff F.

Malcbox
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: 1998 VVC

Post by Malcbox » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:44 am

As this is a first fit to the car, I would lower the windows before fitting and when done, raise them with doors open (or just open the doors if you have the space!). Gently push the door to and you can ensure that the glass fit to the seals is good. There is some scope for adjustment on all the catches and it may save you chipping the paint of the hardtop if the window glass fouls against it. In my case the window stop was broken but this was not apparent (to me) that the glass was raising too high with the softtop on - you can guess the rest :oops:

It is also best if the car is standing on level ground when fitting and making any adjustments to the catches,

lachiedamn
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Post by lachiedamn » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Lachie.

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:51 am

Its pretty obnious when you look at it but you get it in place, adjust the stops at the back so the over centre catch clips nicely, then finally you clip the windscreen catches with the back loose, the top slides along the runners to accomodate this end then you clip the back. Its a lot easier than it sounds.
It is a 2 person job.

alanrt
Model of Car: 2001 MGF 1.8i

Post by alanrt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Can't add anything to the above except make sure the heated rear windows wires don't snag on the folded soft top frame as mine did. Has anybody ever managed to reattach an hrw cconnector to the rear window glass?

*missy*

Post by *missy* » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:30 pm

jut to add to this, i have recently fitted a hard top to my mgf....has anybody had problems with leaks when it rains?

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi sheniene,

if the hardtop is from another car or hasn't been used for quite a while, the latches may need readjustment.

hth
Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

*missy*

Post by *missy* » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:27 pm

i have tried re adjusting the latches once and havent had any luck so far, could they be too tight?