cant get timing belt back on

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Bandit
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Re: cant get timing belt back on

Post by Bandit » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:24 am

The chances of both snapping simultaneously are I suspect close to nil, but if one bolt snaps the other is henceforth operating in the extremes of its abilities. The fracture point is at the very beginning of the thread, there will be a little galvanic corrosion on the shank but not enough to lock it against the alloy so a snapped bolt is easily detected - it won't be finger loose but will turn as soon as light torque is applied. If you make that check part of your routine servicing regime, you'll never be sorry ;)

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:04 am

Unfortunately some mechanics are way too fond of the windy gun for tightening bolts. :(
Funnily enough the only bolt I had trouble with during my recent HG/Timing Belt change was the
8mm Allen bolt on the manual tensioner. It must have been over 100nm. I was glad I had the proper
bit and a long breaker bar. If it had stripped I would have been in big trouble!

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:46 am

[quote="S67SOK"]Crank pully bolt whizzed out with my air gun, just in gear with the handbrake on.

quote]

The idea of locking the crank in place while the cam belt is disconnected does appeal to me. If it's all bolted up tight
and cannot move then there would seem to be zero risk of getting the cam timing wrong. And getting the starter motor out is not THAT hard. Am I being over cautious or is the crank locking tool a worthwhile investment.

Also when I'm ripping the head off do I need to lock everything first or just drain the coolant and unbolt everything?
Might be good practice though? Obviously head replacement is a different story.
On 2nd thought I'll read the manual and see what it suggests.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:38 am

Hi Robbo,

the crank locking tool is a good invest if you haven't got an air gun or any other power tool capable of - say - 300 Nm torque. I have taken out a number of starter motors and you're right, it's not that hard after all. But I wouldn't lock the flywheel and thus the crank during operation. There are quite straightforward marks on the crankshaft and the engine block for timing purposes and also after fitting the new cam belt you have to turn over the engine a couple of times to assure the timing is indeed right. Usually, I leave the locking tool in place, I just remove the top bolt so it can be swung out of the way. It is then easily back to function when the crankshaft pulley is to be refitted.

As to "heads off" I would suggest to keep the cam locking tool in place at first. If the mating surface turns out to be okay, it's one less thing to care about. When the head has to be skimmed, everything has to come off anyway.

If there is no sign of mayo (requiring the coolant system do be flushed) I don't drain the coolant, I just remove the water pump first and then the coolant level will be below the cylinder head anyway. After everything is fitted again, I simply top up with clean water and bleed, then give the car a good run to check for leaks/overheating. If everything's fine, the coolant will be completely replaced.

hth
Mykel
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:05 am

So it's 5-1/2 years later and I'm experiencing the joy of refitting a cam belt in situ.

And I'm having all the trouble of these previous posts. I ended up removing the crank pulley,
nesting it in the belt and gently knocking the pulley back on.

THIS TURNED OUT TO BE A REALLY BAD IDEA.

as the belt went on one tooth out. If the belt won't go on with just using your fingers
then something has moved and it's no longer perfectly lined up. I might try loosening the
crank locking tool and nudging the crank around a few degrees to get the tension on the exhaust side belt run.

Now that I sit and type, I realize removing the crank pulley to get at the oil seal takes the tension
out of the exhaust belt run and made the belt all but impossible to slide over the tensioner.
also the crank locking tool was not locking the crank up totally and allowed a small movement.
This is very difficult to see with the engine in the car.

back to it tonight, with a fresh plan thanks to you guys.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:41 am

When I got all the pulleys lined up and created a LOT of tension on the exhaust run side of the belt then the belt went on reasonably easily
and with no swearing or cursing at all. It does take a lot of force WITH YOUR HANDS to get enough tension on the exhaust side to make it fit.

My experience has been that if the belt won't go on then something is not perfectly lined up.

I do note those above that say to ease the crank around slightly and if that works for you then fine, however i found with the pulleys on the timing marks the new belt went on fine.